PDA

View Full Version : back swimmer frenzy

jigs
09-27-2022, 07:23 PM
I was out with my grandson yesterday and witnessed something i have heard about and read about but never witnessed.

We saw a migration of back swimmers trying to enter the water of the lake. lots of bugs hitting the water trying to break the water surface. Usually unsuccessful and repeated tries. The trout were going crazy intercepting them and following the bugs as they tried to break the surface tension.

Cleaning our catch, the young fella wanted to see the stomach contents and sure enough they were full of water boatman.

Beauty day

Sundancefisher
09-28-2022, 06:49 PM
Yup. It’s that time of year. It’s like it’s raining. They land in your boat… bounce off your head. Lots of fun.

tallieho
09-29-2022, 05:34 AM
I was out with my grandson yesterday and witnessed something i have heard about and read about but never witnessed.

We saw a migration of back swimmers trying to enter the water of the lake. lots of bugs hitting the water trying to break the water surface. Usually unsuccessful and repeated tries. The trout were going crazy intercepting them and following the bugs as they tried to break the surface tension.

Cleaning our catch, the young fella wanted to see the stomach contents and sure enough they were full of water boatman.

Beauty day

Great to hear that you & your grandson,had the experience. Just a word of caution..DONOT PICK THEM UP.BITE is very similar to a wasp/hornet/bee..

rvaneyk
09-30-2022, 08:41 AM
Backswimmers bite. Wow I had no idea, they seem harmless.