PDA

View Full Version : Tobin Lake?

Lowrance Fishburn
09-30-2022, 12:48 PM
Hey all, just seeing if anyone would be interested in a late October trip to Tobin to fish big walleye in the river system for a few days. I typically go on a trip a couple times a year with a buddy but he is unable to go this fall. I don't have a boat so a properly outfitted boat would be required - I do have a truck and can drive if required. I have been fishing that lake for a number of years and have participated in the Vanity and Walleye Championship tourney's before and have a good understanding of the lake and where the fish hang out come fall. I know a couple of good places to stay that are super convenient as well. Let me know if you're interested! Cheers.

AK47
09-30-2022, 02:11 PM
Sounds interesting - but 9 hr drive. :thinking-006:.... need to really think about it. How many days you would be planning to fish?

Lowrance Fishburn
09-30-2022, 02:50 PM
you know, its actually more like 7.5 -8 hrs and that's not even trying to speed or anything. Straight east on 303/3 after Lloydminster then northeast from Prince Albert. Easy drive. I'd like to do 3-5 days ideally. Reel em inn Cabins right on the river means its a 20 second drive to the boat launch in the river.

ZA Angler
09-30-2022, 03:00 PM
I've been eyeing Tobin Lake too, but "unfortunately" I'm far more interested in the big Pike than the Walleye :ashamed:

Lowrance Fishburn
09-30-2022, 03:03 PM
The big pike are definitely in there and often you'll latch onto one by "mistake" with your light walleye tackle. Its a blast fighting a 20+ lb pike with light gear. Sometimes you'll even hook a sturgeon! If you're keen, morning/evening fishing eyes and afternoons fishing pike is fine by me.

FortMac
09-30-2022, 03:17 PM
you know, its actually more like 7.5 -8 hrs and that's not even trying to speed or anything. Straight east on 303/3 after Lloydminster then northeast from Prince Albert. Easy drive. I'd like to do 3-5 days ideally. Reel em inn Cabins right on the river means its a 20 second drive to the boat launch in the river.

Is the river good fishing in the spring too?

Lowrance Fishburn
09-30-2022, 03:26 PM
Yes it can be while the water is still cold. Most (but not all) of the biggest fish move out of the river and into the reaches of the big lake shortly after they're done spawning. The spawn tires them out and its harder to stay locked into a current than to go find food elsewhere. Come fall they make their way back up the river and begin staging for the pre-spawn once the water cools off again and they begin to fill up with eggs. All just pretty much instinct based as well.

AK47
09-30-2022, 03:55 PM

Well, I am in Calgary so GPS saying 9 hrs, 890km.. Max I would get out would be 3 days... so one day drive, one day fishing, one day drive home. Would need to coordinate with lady boss too. What kind of fishing you do there? Trolling? jigging, spin casting?

Lowrance Fishburn
09-30-2022, 04:08 PM
In the river you can lindy rig, pull bottom bouncers or troll crankbaits. Jigging is possible but demands a lot of boat control in the current. Lindy rigging is my preferred method. A good bow mount motor is a must but a back-troller (Vantage) is ideal.

Lowrance Fishburn
09-30-2022, 04:29 PM
In the river you can lindy rig, pull bottom bouncers or troll crankbaits. Jigging is possible but demands a lot of boat control in the current. Lindy rigging is my preferred method. A good bow mount motor is a must but a back-troller (Vantage) is ideal.

AK47
10-01-2022, 08:29 PM
All these methods would be new to me. I am really not a fan of trolling, I like anchoring and spin cast, jigg or fish with bait. I am not opposed to learn something new but no trolling motor on my boat unfortunately🤷.

Rabdo
10-05-2022, 07:53 AM
This sounds like a pretty cool trip. I haven't been out there before or fished this late. What days you thinking of going?

-JR-
10-05-2022, 12:06 PM
I will pass ,had to many fish in my boat this year ,and don't want to see another fish till next year . Time to go big game hunting .

You should be posting this on top .Where it says Looking for fishing partner

Lowrance Fishburn
10-05-2022, 04:13 PM
This sounds like a pretty cool trip. I haven't been out there before or fished this late. What days you thinking of going?

It’s a good time for sure. Ideally something like the 26th-30th, back home for Halloween. What sort of boat do you have?

Lowrance Fishburn
10-05-2022, 04:15 PM
I will pass ,had to many fish in my boat this year ,and don't want to see another fish till next year . Time to go big game hunting .

You should be posting this on top .Where it says Looking for fishing partner

Too many fish? Didn’t know that was a thing lol. Sounds like a fine problem to have. Happy hunting!

Talking moose
10-08-2022, 01:41 AM
Ever fish the coddette part of the river?
Curious to anyones first hand knowledge of coddette. Talked to a couple locals who preferred it to Tobin. Thinking of giving it a go one day.
Who knows…… they could of been pulling my leg to keep me away from Tobin. Lol

deschambault
10-08-2022, 09:12 AM
I haven't fished it but talked to a couple of guys who were cleaning walleye from there that were way bigger than what you could keep in Tobin. I asked the CO later about them cleaning fish at Tobin from Codette that were obviously in the slot and they weren't converned.

Esox
10-08-2022, 09:13 AM
Ever fish the coddette part of the river?
Curious to anyones first hand knowledge of coddette. Talked to a couple locals who preferred it to Tobin. Thinking of giving it a go one day.
Who knows…… they could of been pulling my leg to keep me away from Tobin. Lol

shhhhhh forget you ever heard anything about Coddette lol.

EZM
10-11-2022, 10:48 PM
Yes it can be while the water is still cold. Most (but not all) of the biggest fish move out of the river and into the reaches of the big lake shortly after they're done spawning. The spawn tires them out and its harder to stay locked into a current than to go find food elsewhere. Come fall they make their way back up the river and begin staging for the pre-spawn once the water cools off again and they begin to fill up with eggs. All just pretty much instinct based as well.

I think you have this backwards .... Walleye spawn in spring. They will stage right before the ice breaks and usually spawn after that (as the water warms up past 40 F).

Lowrance Fishburn
10-12-2022, 10:11 AM
Oh I know they spawn in the spring, I was merely stating the migrating patterns of the big females making their way back to their traditional spawning grounds when the water temps drop. They'll often stay nearer to there for months before actually dropping's any eggs. There are a handful of spawning areas at Tobin and some hold fish in the fall, some hold fish in the spring.

Now do you wanna take that boat of yours and do this trip or not!? LOL

Walleye101
10-12-2022, 03:06 PM
I was there for the Vanity this year. If I'm correct there were only 21 Walleye's over 70 cm caught in the 2 days of the tournament. 304 good tournament anglers struggled to find any big fish. I personally would focus more on the main basin on the east end of the lake if you are planning on going, or casting cranks at the dam on the east end after dark from shore.

EZM
10-12-2022, 08:11 PM
Oh I know they spawn in the spring, I was merely stating the migrating patterns of the big females making their way back to their traditional spawning grounds when the water temps drop. They'll often stay nearer to there for months before actually dropping's any eggs. There are a handful of spawning areas at Tobin and some hold fish in the fall, some hold fish in the spring.

Now do you wanna take that boat of yours and do this trip or not!? LOL

I'd love to, just can't swing it towards the end of the month - doing some travelling and stuff and won't be around.

I'm pretty sure we were fishing the same hole off Pruden's point the spring before this one ....

EZM
10-12-2022, 08:14 PM
I was there for the Vanity this year. If I'm correct there were only 21 Walleye's over 70 cm caught in the 2 days of the tournament. 304 good tournament anglers struggled to find any big fish. I personally would focus more on the main basin on the east end of the lake if you are planning on going, or casting cranks at the dam on the east end after dark from shore.

I second the crank bait idea - I'd say 90% of the big ones we have caught over the years have been tossing or trolling cranks. Lots in the 8-12lb range.

Lowrance Fishburn
10-13-2022, 11:52 AM

Yeah my good buddy who lives on the lake was telling me about how tough the fishing was for the Vanity -he also fished it. It was similar last year early Oct and the main reason was the water temps were still so high from such a hot summer and warm fall. Hence why I am hoping by months end things have cooled off and the fish will be on the move. If water temps remain higher than usual you are likely right that they'll be elsewhere.