PDA

View Full Version : Advice on getting a new drill auger adapter?

fisher69
10-10-2022, 10:18 PM
I'm looking to upgrade from my manual auger this year, been looking at the woods drill adapter handle (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods-universal-ice-auger-adapter-0771808p.html) and I would also have to get a new auger to go with it since mine is too old to connect. I have a decent dewalt hammer drill with 2 x 3ah batteries, so I think I'm good on that. My old auger was 8 inches, and trying to decide if I should stick with 8 or go to a 6 instead to try and save some battery. I'm probably going to buy the auger separate instead of the full bundle, that way I still have the manual handle if somethings goes wrong with the drill or my batteries run out.

Anyone else using somethings like this, and is there a big difference in battery life from a 6 to an 8 inch hole? I heard that the 2 inch difference actually adds quite a bit of surface area to it. Thanks

biggyJ
10-11-2022, 07:26 AM
I bought this woods outfit last year. Took me awhile to dial it in, so maybe you can learn from my mistakes.

1. Bought the adapter to use with metal manual auger. Was using an older drill. Setup was too heavy with metal.
2. Took it back and exchanged for woods adapter that comes with plastic flight. 8”. Much lighter, but still wasn’t super happy. But that was due to the old drill.
3. Purchased the ryobi hammer drill on sale with 680lbs torque. Now she cuts like a dream with no problems.
4. Bought a two pack of 6ah knockoff batteries. Can cut far more holes than I need a day.

Smells better
I like the side handle. Saves your wrists
With the ice anchor adapter, everything is quick to change. Set up is quick
Cuts just as fast as my old jiffy

Dislikes:
Keep your batteries warm
OG blades on the kit are garbage. Replaced them after a couple of outings
Case is cheap and rips/tears easily

AlbertanGP
10-11-2022, 08:26 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with what you are trying to do, as I was unable to acquire a 6" Eskimo Pistol Bit last season. But I'm still quite familiar with the setups, so I'll give you my thoughts.

If you already have a hand auger, just keep that as a spare and don't worry about trying to convert it to power...there are better dedicated options. Leave your old hand auger in your vehicle as a spare when you go out.
I haven't seen anyone up here running an adapter plate/handle like you've shown. Most people just put the handle on the drill and go with that for portability. If you really want a a plate, the Clam Plate (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/clam-drill-auger-conversion-kit-0777854p.html) is supposed to be the best.
Be careful with your drill. Many don't have the torque to power an auger properly and either won't cut or the battery dies very quickly. There are all sorts of discussions of which drills work best for this purpose online if you Google the topic.
In my research last year, the Eskimo Pistol Bit was the best auger flite for this purpose. There are other good flites as well. Just make sure you stick with a shaver blade rather than a chipper (*cough* Jiffy *cough*) blade.
6" or 8" depends on what you are fishing for. A bigger hole is always nice. But you will punch many more 6" holes than 8" on a charge.

CNP
10-11-2022, 08:37 AM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/140862/cabelas-eze-drill

You can't beat this ^^^ for the price. Your 3 amp batteries are less than ideal. One 5 amp battery will outperform both of your 3 amp batteries and a 5 amp battery is probably minimal. This Cabelas drill ready auger has a lightweight flyte and a carry case for your drill, batteries and tools. Your drill will need a side handle as well. The side handle on this auger is pretty much useless.