PDA

View Full Version : bringing fish back from mexico

bardfromedson
09-18-2009, 10:10 AM
i just booked my honneymoon to puerto vallarta and am booking two days of fishing while im down there. was wondering if anyone has any experience with bringing fish back. i have a direct flight from puerto vallarta to edmonton. can't find anything on canada but lots of americans fly there fish home from mexico all the time. also wondering if anyone has fished there? going one day offshore and one day inshore. hopefully can cross cow tuna, marlin, dorado and sailfish off my list of things to do. from what i could find its the place to go for 300 pound yellow fin tuna. if anyone has gone what charter did you use?

Dark Wing
09-18-2009, 10:42 AM
When I was in Cabo San Lucas many years ago there was a place that froze vacuum sealed and boxed my fish in ice for the trip home. I'm sure P.V. would have something similar. Had a blast catching Dorado, roosters ,tuna, snapper and sailfish.

Rigg dogg
09-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey brad here's a link to an old thread with some info on PV. I have been down there a few times and have had some pretty good fishing.
Sailfish, Blue Marlin, Mahi Mahi.

I went with a few different outfits but Jackpot charters was pretty good. A little pricy but nice boats and good crews.

I did bring back a cooler full of Mahi Mahi once, didn't have any problems. I just checked it with my suitcase. Nobody asked any questions, so I didn't offer any info.

Good luck fishing!!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=9116

FlYiNGuY
09-18-2009, 06:34 PM
When are you heading to PVR??.. I brought back fish from mexico just a few months ago now with no hassle whatsoever, I even declared it to customs..

Tight Lines!!

tbiddy
09-18-2009, 08:04 PM
We've been going down to PV every year for the last 5 years. We book our trips through http://www.vallartatraveladvisor.com/ (Scott's tours). They are out of Bucerias (we stay here over being right in PV). Never brought anything back but always catch fish. They aren't just taking you for a boat ride. Also, if you are right in PV, you can always go down to the marina mid afternoon and see the boats coming in. Can feel out the captains and take a look at the boats. If they are catching fish they will fly flags on their masts with what they are catching.

A couple tips. You should try and check out Bucerias. It is just outside of PV and a great little town. If you want to travel a little farther check out Sayulita. It is a little surfing village about 1/2hr-45mins from PV. We stayed there for 2 weeks. Pretty cool place. You can fish there. They usually take you out on a panga so cost is lower. And you should catch a cab and tell them you want to go to Destiladeras Beach. It is a pretty cool public beach. About 15mins from Bucerias. Little resataurant/bar and not pretty quiet with a little surf. If you are thinking of renting a vehicle use http://www.geckorentcar.com/ out of Bucerias. He is from Canada (Calgary I think). Any questions just shoot me a PM

seahawkfisher
09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
PV is great
we went there last year for xmas and are going back for new year's this year.
we styaed in riveria nyarit which is a walk along the beach to bucerias.

went inshore fishing with an outfit out of los penas pier (mike's) and they had us on fish all day; casting to them too, not just reeling them in (he does flyfishing too)

best part was that the fishing was free!!! well, kinda. had to sit through 2hrs of time share drivel but with free breakfast, transportation, and fishing the loss of a couple morning hours was worth it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/seahawkfisher/DSCF1196.jpg
cheers

tbiddy
09-19-2009, 08:26 AM
PV is great
we went there last year for xmas and are going back for new year's this year.
we styaed in riveria nyarit which is a walk along the beach to bucerias.

went inshore fishing with an outfit out of los penas pier (mike's) and they had us on fish all day; casting to them too, not just reeling them in (he does flyfishing too)

best part was that the fishing was free!!! well, kinda. had to sit through 2hrs of time share drivel but with free breakfast, transportation, and fishing the loss of a couple morning hours was worth it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/seahawkfisher/DSCF1196.jpg
cheers

We did the timeshare thing the 1st year. If you don't mind sitting through a hard press sell for 2 hours you can do it. Basically you can ask for anything (swimming with dolphins, fishing, etc..) and they will usually produce to get you into the sales presentation. We got the fishing trip but we were just went for a boat ride. Followed a line of boats out to the islands, turned around and came home. The time share guys will get annoying. Just tell them you own a house there already or throw a little french at them and tell them your from Quebec (they can't see to anyone from Quebec).

Also, a trip should be about $500 for an 8hr trip (plus tips). Pangas are cheaper but not as comfortable. Here is a map of the fishing areas: http://www.puertovallartafishing.net/fishing-sites.htm

FlYiNGuY
09-19-2009, 05:02 PM
WoW.. Good map tbiddy I had no idea it was that far offshore for any decent fish!..If you mind choppy seas Go to Cabo! I landed a striped marlin well within 2 miles of shore..
And there is the timeshare BS there too... I've gone once and said I'd rather pay for the fishing the go through that hell.. ( might of been worse since we were hungover the day of the time share) ... Also I think if you pay for your fishing your more apt to get a decent charter crew. Just gets pricey if you can't find anyone to pair up with..
Cheers!

bardfromedson
09-20-2009, 08:57 PM
don't think i could stand the time share thing. the wife would crack and want to buy. we are staying in vallarta nariuet (sp) at the new dreams resort. i found a ton of good info on fishing mexico and other places around the world on bloodydecks.com . looks like im going to be spending around $1000 dollars to get to el banco with a good guide and boat. don't think i can talk the wife into going 50 miles offshore so if anyone else is down there i might be interested in splitting the cost. thanks for all the helpful info.