PDA

View Full Version : Schools of Whitefish

dutchman
10-17-2022, 09:55 AM
What a great weekend to get out one more time, doesn't happen too often in mid-October. Pretty much had the lake to myself. Caught a good number of nice Walleye. One thing I did come across were big schools of whites. Didn't matter if it was 5' or 35'. The surface was bubbling with activity. Tried for a while but they were not interested in anything I floated past them.
So why the big schools, is this what the whites do when it's spawning time??

aulrich
10-17-2022, 11:01 AM
Yup, whitefish are fall spawners IDK if it peaks just before or just after ice in, but they are definitely getting ready now.

fish99
10-17-2022, 03:37 PM
Try bouncing castmasters on the bottom to catch them

3blade
10-18-2022, 07:36 PM
They are just picky, even when spawning.

If you fly fish, skating an elk hair caddis on a very long leader can elicit some strikes.

Tiny panther Martin spinners also work, or a worm/maggot under a very carefully balanced slip bobber.

Usually they are way too wormy to eat though, at least in the places I catch them.

jzz
10-21-2022, 08:38 PM
What a great weekend to get out one more time, doesn't happen too often in mid-October. Pretty much had the lake to myself. Caught a good number of nice Walleye. One thing I did come across were big schools of whites. Didn't matter if it was 5' or 35'. The surface was bubbling with activity. Tried for a while but they were not interested in anything I floated past them.
So why the big schools, is this what the whites do when it's spawning time??

Very interesting, May I know which lake?