PDA

View Full Version : Gah!!! It's go time!

AlbertanGP
11-01-2022, 09:04 PM
Went to walk my daughter's dogs after work and the nearby pond had ice on it. Got home and the pond had ice too. I'm not ready yet. Gonna have to do a weekend thrash in the shop at the lake to get ready to go. Could be on the local trout ponds this weekend and ice camping next weekend. Not much snow in the forecast, so we could get some good solid ice to start the hardwater season. Let the games begin!!!

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-wNxrH8Q/0/58d4cdb1/X3/i-wNxrH8Q-X3.jpg

58thecat
11-02-2022, 06:28 AM
You need to take a healthy dose of fish oil, takes the edge off:)

AlbertanGP
11-02-2022, 07:53 AM
You need to take a healthy dose of fish oil, takes the edge off:)

I'll lick my hands this weekend. :)

WayneChristie
11-02-2022, 08:05 AM
I was going to laugh at you until I looked out the window and opened the forecast. looks like we go full arctic starting this weekend. :sHa_shakeshout::angry3::sHa_shakeshout:

AlbertanGP
11-02-2022, 08:32 AM
Yep. Very odd. It was 20*C here just the other day. But the water is still losing it's heat every night, and it is November. It's funny that with all the talk of climate change, global warming, and how hot the Fall has been, I could still be on the ice a week earlier than last year. Go figure...

58thecat
11-02-2022, 11:46 AM
I'll lick my hands this weekend. :)

What happens in the fish hut stays in the fish hut!

[emoji23]

Colder temps and snow is a coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldscud
11-02-2022, 12:38 PM
But my tube still has air in it.....I need an ice breaker

https://i.imgur.com/fY48xKB.png

Poppa
11-02-2022, 12:45 PM
West Central AB seeing an unfortunate dump of snow right now that is not good for making ice, but the good news is, once this snow is done, it's going to get cold and stay cold to lock up the lakes in the area. The one place the wife and I like to fish the most has daytime highs around -5 for a couple weeks, and overnight lows around -15. That's gonna have us on the ice in early December for sure. CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT!!!!!!

AlbertanGP
11-02-2022, 04:29 PM

Nice 'bow. :happy0034:

AlbertanGP
11-02-2022, 04:40 PM
West Central AB seeing an unfortunate dump of snow right now that is not good for making ice, but the good news is, once this snow is done, it's going to get cold and stay cold to lock up the lakes in the area. The one place the wife and I like to fish the most has daytime highs around -5 for a couple weeks, and overnight lows around -15. That's gonna have us on the ice in early December for sure. CAN'T. FREAKING. WAIT!!!!!!

-10*C here now and dropping close to -20*C again tonight. Our forecast has changed though to around 0*C tomorrow afternoon and then six inches of snow before dropping back to -25*C to -30*C at night into early next week. We could do without the snow. But I'll likely still bring a friend and a spud bar and ice the first trout of the year this weekend. :)

-JR-
11-02-2022, 04:52 PM
Just like clock work every year . First week of Nov the ponds freeze and the geese and ducks fly south . Deer get dropped next .Then the short rods come out in December .

AlbertanGP
11-02-2022, 05:08 PM
Just like clock work every year . First week of Nov the ponds freeze and the geese and ducks fly south . Deer get dropped next .Then the short rods come out in December .

November 11th & 12th respectively last year. You and I run on different clocks. But I don't hunt.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-SLQQqqG/0/9790b6c0/X3/i-SLQQqqG-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-jq8fwDp/0/4f6fed74/X3/i-jq8fwDp-X3.jpg

ragweed
11-02-2022, 05:50 PM
Earliest I’ve been out in central AB has been late October. (25 and 27). Mind you, I was tied to a tree on those days. I gotta say this weather has me pretty sad about not doing my usual Nov. boat trips but also getting pretty excited for the early ice!

AK47
11-03-2022, 11:26 AM
My record earliest ice fishing was November 13th. With next weeks forecast I am seriously hoping Nov 11th as a start this year:sHa_shakeshout:

AlbertanGP
11-03-2022, 03:12 PM
I think I'll hit some local trout lakes tomorrow, as we're not due to get any significant snow until Friday night. It's much easier/safer to move around when you can read the ice. The only problem is I don't have any brookies nearby. First world problems. lol.

-JR-
11-04-2022, 07:52 AM
News Report....Man drowns after he walks out on thin ice !

Outbound
11-04-2022, 09:12 AM
I think I'll hit some local trout lakes tomorrow, as we're not due to get any significant snow until Friday night. It's much easier/safer to move around when you can read the ice. The only problem is I don't have any brookies nearby. First world problems. lol.

Spring Lake north of GP has brookies, though I have no idea what the ice is like.

TROLLER
11-04-2022, 10:28 AM
News Report....Man drowns after he walks out on thin ice !

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THIS POST PLS.

Not yet safe IMHO

JohnB
11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Spring Lake north of GP has brookies, though I have no idea what the ice is like.

Stoney and moonshine as well.

Curtsyneil
11-04-2022, 01:59 PM
It’s not worth goin out on ice that’s not safe. If you gotta use a spud bar to check if it is then that should be your answer it’s still not safe. Why put your life in danger and all your expensive gear. The fish will still be there in December.

Poppa
11-04-2022, 02:01 PM
. If you gotta use a spud bar to check if it is then that should be your answer it’s still not safe. .
I don't want to get into a big debate about individual responsibility, but this part just isn't true at all.

58thecat
11-04-2022, 03:40 PM

Good luck, stay safe and post up a few pics please.

AlbertanGP
11-04-2022, 03:46 PM
Sadly, only an inch of clear ice on my early season go-to spot. Back into the shop to prepare for next weekend. :)

Vacation
11-04-2022, 04:02 PM
I used to always go out early ice as a young man. We would use an axe, cut a foot wide area in a long L shape. Walk back and forth, basically troll. We caught a lot. Was fun, but not doing that now, hah.

green scud
11-04-2022, 04:16 PM
November 11th & 12th respectively last year. You and I run on different clocks. But I don't hunt.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-SLQQqqG/0/9790b6c0/X3/i-SLQQqqG-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-jq8fwDp/0/4f6fed74/X3/i-jq8fwDp-X3.jpg

All that gear and electronics.
And a jaw jacker to catch the fish for you.
Haha

AlbertanGP
11-04-2022, 05:57 PM
All that gear and electronics.
And a jaw jacker to catch the fish for you.
Haha

Jaw jackers out-fish me more times than I care to admit. Lots of times I just bring two and a comfy chair to sit in and wait.

green scud
11-04-2022, 06:20 PM
Jaw jackers out-fish me more times than I care to admit. Lots of times I just bring two and a comfy chair to sit in and wait.

Jaw jackers are illegal in Minnesota.
They got it right in that state.

Outbound
11-04-2022, 06:44 PM

I'm tempted to pick one up for giggles. I have a homemade version but I could never get it dialed in last season. It does kind of feel like cheating though. LOL

AlbertanGP
11-04-2022, 09:59 PM

Don’t worry. Minnesotans complain about their DNR just as much as we do…

RACKER
11-05-2022, 09:52 AM

Dont use it if ya dont approve!Pretty simple concept.We have it right here

SNAPFisher
11-05-2022, 11:34 AM
Dont use it if ya dont approve!Pretty simple concept.We have it right here

Right on the money :)

Go to Pigeon Lake on any given day and many, many anglers there are using 1 or 2 JJs at a time and typically in search of those huge whites. For sure a game changer on that lake and for that species.

AlbertanGP
11-05-2022, 01:51 PM
They've also been proven to reduce mortality as fish aren't typically hooked as deep as with "normal" tip ups. You are also allowed to be up to 200' from your line in Minnesota compared to 30m (100') in Alberta, giving fish more time to take the bait deep. Maybe the Minnesotans didn't get it right after all. ;)

green scud
11-05-2022, 02:03 PM
They've also been proven to reduce mortality as fish aren't typically hooked as deep as with "normal" tip ups. You are also allowed to be up to 200' from your line in Minnesota compared to 30m (100') in Alberta, giving fish more time to take the bait deep. Maybe the Minnesotans didn't get it right after all. ;)

JawJacker 2.0 coming soon.
Not only will it catch your fish for you.
It will also clean and fillet them.
Sweet.

Reddin
11-05-2022, 02:22 PM
Just add the Remote Reeler and the Bottomless Baiter and then just sit there wearing camo gear in your Ducks Unlimited lawn chair

AlbertanGP
11-05-2022, 02:41 PM
JawJacker 2.0 coming soon.
Not only will it catch your fish for you.
It will also clean and fillet them.
Sweet.

/shrug

Remps17
11-05-2022, 02:47 PM
Green Scud. Not sure what your trying to accomplish here. The thread is about getting pumped up for the upcoming ice season and your three posts are all negative and make fun of others on how they prefer to fish.

Curtsyneil
11-05-2022, 03:18 PM
I'm tempted to pick one up for giggles. I have a homemade version but I could never get it dialed in last season. It does kind of feel like cheating though. LOL
Don’t hesitate go get one there an awesome tool for ice fishing. Many will say there home made ones are better but you can’t beat the trigger sensitivity on the jj’s imho. There very simple to set up and easy to figure out with different length rods.

SNAPFisher
11-05-2022, 04:17 PM
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-to-use-theyre-there-their

/shrug x 2

You have anything better to contribute than putting equipment or members down.....Their...I said it.

JohninAB
11-05-2022, 04:26 PM
Got 3 or 4 inches of snow here today. First snow of the year. Too bad it could not of held off for a few more days to let some good clear ice develop first.

Was in the west end Fishin Hole yesterday. Another company has brought out a Hook setter somewhat similar to the Jawjacker. Looked well made on my cursory look.

Remps17
11-05-2022, 04:40 PM
Got 3 or 4 inches of snow here today. First snow of the year. Too bad it could not of held off for a few more days to let some good clear ice develop first.

Was in the west end Fishin Hole yesterday. Another company has brought out a Hook setter somewhat similar to the Jawjacker. Looked well made on my cursory look.

Down south we got another good chunk of snow too. Had potential for some really solid early ice

RACKER
11-05-2022, 06:53 PM
Once the temps drop i hope the snow stops.I was the first person to drag a sled out on Pigeon last year at Pigeon and already im excited.The small ponds will be first to freeze so to everyone getting out be careful.

AlbertanGP
11-05-2022, 07:02 PM
Snow early in the season can affect the quality and safety of the ice right through to January. Be careful and bring a spud bar, ice spikes, a float suit, and preferably a friend on your early trips. Stay safe. :happy0034:

TROLLER
11-06-2022, 09:30 AM
Green Scud. Not sure what your trying to accomplish here. The thread is about getting pumped up for the upcoming ice season and your three posts are all negative and make fun of others on how they prefer to fish.

I see the guy is banned so why is he allowed to post?

JohninAB
11-06-2022, 11:04 AM
He was banned after he posted his comments.

Outbound
11-06-2022, 01:17 PM
Don’t hesitate go get one there an awesome tool for ice fishing. Many will say there home made ones are better but you can’t beat the trigger sensitivity on the jj’s imho. There very simple to set up and easy to figure out with different length rods.

I probably will get one, hoping find a good sale on them though, since there will be shouting and accusations of skullduggery from my wife if I only buy one for myself and proceed to outfish her.

Curtsyneil
11-06-2022, 01:55 PM
I probably will get one, hoping find a good sale on them though, since there will be shouting and accusations of skullduggery from my wife if I only buy one for myself and proceed to outfish her.
Yeah they sure have jumped in price since I bought mine when they first came out.

SNAPFisher
11-06-2022, 02:05 PM
He was banned after he posted his comments.

Yes, our mods and admin are busy people. I send them my thanks.

Back to waiting on ice to be made...shouldn't be long now :)
Think I'll fire up the skidoo today and go for a short rip around the farm.

Smoky buck
11-06-2022, 03:03 PM
It can go straight to spring time after hunting season but I am sure tempted to get a jaw jacker after this thread :sHa_sarcasticlol:

TROLLER
11-07-2022, 09:10 AM
Yeah they sure have jumped in price since I bought mine when they first came out.

Saw them last week at Bass Calgary for 79.99 do not know if that is good or bad but they had quite a few.

AlbertanGP
11-07-2022, 09:50 AM
Saw them last week at Bass Calgary for 79.99 do not know if that is good or bad but they had quite a few.

It's a lot of money for what it is. It probably costs $10 tops to have it made in China. Still, it works so well and the price is a drop in the bucket compared to even just the fuel to get out fishing this year.

akn
11-07-2022, 09:59 AM

Picked up two for for $45 each at Cabela's (on sale from $60) two years ago. They seem to have QC issues too; the peg on one of them was really difficult to adjust, had to use a lot of force. Cabela's exchanged it for another but even that one the little ball in the peg fell out promptly & I gave up on getting another exchange.

TROLLER
11-07-2022, 02:16 PM
Picked up two for for $45 each at Cabela's (on sale from $60) two years ago. They seem to have QC issues too; the peg on one of them was really difficult to adjust, had to use a lot of force. Cabela's exchanged it for another but even that one the little ball in the peg fell out promptly & I gave up on getting another exchange.

And that seems to be a common issue. Which is why I still stick to my old Automatic Fisherman

Remps17
11-07-2022, 11:27 PM
You guys want to see some jaw jackers in action. Watch Jay Siemens episode 1 of game to inches. Impressive

WayneChristie
11-09-2022, 08:48 AM
Travers freezing this week, getting closer and closer!:sHa_shakeshout:

AlbertanGP
11-09-2022, 09:21 AM
Travers freezing this week, getting closer and closer!:sHa_shakeshout:

Looking forward to some pictures of those disgusting slimy green things you catch. :)

WayneChristie
11-09-2022, 04:06 PM
Looking forward to some pictures of those disgusting slimy green things you catch. :)

Ive been thinking a lot lately about past practices, Im going to try to up my PB this winter, see what sorts of things I can add up to bring something better than 32 to meet me.:shark:

penguin
11-09-2022, 08:17 PM
And that seems to be a common issue. Which is why I still stick to my old Automatic Fisherman

And I thought I was the only guy with that orange thing on the lake! Haha

AK47
11-10-2022, 09:26 AM
Will go check McGregor tomorrow. 6 nights with -20C or more temperatures in a row over there I am pretty confident ice by the dam will be ok. Will post update.

fish99
11-10-2022, 09:55 AM
pigeon lake is now ice covered looks like lots of ice heaves already

Poppa
11-10-2022, 03:52 PM
heresay evidence of about 3" of soft, slushy ice in the bays of Newell.... gonna be a few weeks yet.

Sea Hawk
11-10-2022, 04:23 PM
Calling lake wide open as of today.

AlbertanGP
11-10-2022, 05:18 PM
Sentinel Playground is your friend to check satellite images and see what’s frozen and when it froze. ;)

WayneChristie
11-11-2022, 07:30 AM
looks on the map like the south end of Newell is freezing nicely. its a start!

AlbertanGP
11-11-2022, 07:47 AM
https://albertan.smugmug.com/Ice-Fishing-2022-23/n-rWrqX6/i-wLmbFct http://And away we go…. :)

RACKER
11-11-2022, 08:31 AM
https://albertan.smugmug.com/Ice-Fishing-2022-23/n-rWrqX6/i-wLmbFct http://And away we go…. :)

Good luck to you and i was wondering how many shelters do you own?This model wasnt under your reviews! lol Be safe out there.

AK47
11-11-2022, 09:02 AM
happy to report 10cm of solid ice in McGregor by north dam!

WayneChristie
11-11-2022, 11:14 AM
did a visual just now, I didnt see any water in this bay. someone else checked the thickness, I wasnt geared for it but I will be checking it out this coming week for myself. Tons of snow in this area so be tired for it. if you know the bay that stump sticking out at the edge is usually only 6 inches or so but its still a ways out of the ice.

Johnnydanger
11-12-2022, 08:51 AM

That sure is a chunky rainbow. Well done!

fish99
11-12-2022, 09:12 AM
happy to report 10cm of solid ice in McGregor by north dam!

whitefish should be biting good with this early ice

Skabulon
11-12-2022, 09:50 AM
I'm gonna go out and check the ice around Edmonton today I think, I'll start a new ice thickness thread when I get back. We've had more cold weather this year than we did last year so I'm thinking I'll find some good ice to drop a line in :sHa_shakeshout:

AK47
11-13-2022, 02:20 PM
whitefish should be biting good with this early ice

Water was murky, no whites seen or burbot. Got one pike only. Water needs to clear up for whites to show up. Hope for next weekend.

fish99
11-14-2022, 10:40 AM
Water was murky, no whites seen or burbot. Got one pike only. Water needs to clear up for whites to show up. Hope for next weekend.

any ice by the boat launch

AK47
11-14-2022, 06:06 PM
any ice by the boat launch

All lake is frozen just not sure how thick it is by boat launch.

58thecat
11-15-2022, 06:11 AM

Any luck?

AlbertanGP
11-15-2022, 08:36 AM
Any luck?

Hah. I was hoping no one would ask. I got skunked all weekend. I fished one of the two trout lakes I frequent Friday morning and Saturday afternoon, and only saw one rainbow all day. :scared0018: There were talks of a summer kill on the lake, and my fly fishing friends who came up in the Fall caught one nice fish off the bat and then it was so bad they left early. Losing this lake and Obed in the same year really, really sucks. :(

Went out for whitefish in the afternoon on Friday as well. Saw about 20 fish in total up on a shoal getting ready to spawn, but nothing showed any resemblance in interest in my myriad of offerings. I'm going to get serious and be out for first light this weekend to have another go.

I'd say my ego is crushed but that's fishing. I think that might be the first time getting skunked on opening weekend though...definitely with that kind of time logged.

bullgetter
11-15-2022, 09:00 AM

If you dont mind me asking what is your go to bait and or hook to fish with your Jaw Jackers? I am typically using a micro jig or worm but I dont catch much for size. My auto jacker will get something a little flashy with the deadstick a worm. Both have their days.

AlbertanGP
11-15-2022, 10:30 AM
If you dont mind me asking what is your go to bait and or hook to fish with your Jaw Jackers? I am typically using a micro jig or worm but I dont catch much for size. My auto jacker will get something a little flashy with the deadstick a worm. Both have their days.

For trout I typically use a 4mm tungsten and any of Power Bait, scuds, market shrimp from Costco, roe sacs I tie myself, or a piece of worm. I've even been known to use a leech ice fishing from time to time.

Where are you putting your hook in the water column? That's more likely your problem. ;)

Poppa
11-15-2022, 02:56 PM
looks on the map like the south end of Newell is freezing nicely. its a start!

waaaaaahoooooooooo!! As soon as I can get a day off work, we'll be headed that way. Hopefully next Sunday.....

AlbertanGP
11-15-2022, 07:53 PM
mis-post

bullgetter
11-16-2022, 07:54 AM
For trout I typically use a 4mm tungsten and any of Power Bait, scuds, market shrimp from Costco, roe sacs I tie myself, or a piece of worm. I've even been known to use a leech ice fishing from time to time.

Where are you putting your hook in the water column? That's more likely your problem. ;)

Typically i'm setting about 2 feet off bottom but that is in only about 10 fow. Use plenty of tungsten jigs myself, pricey but effective.

AlbertanGP
11-16-2022, 01:09 PM
Typically i'm setting about 2 feet off bottom but that is in only about 10 fow. Use plenty of tungsten jigs myself, pricey but effective.

Try higher up. 10 fow is fine. You can try shallower in the morning and deeper in the afternoon. But if I had to sit in one spot all day, it would be 8 to 10 fow on most lakes.

Outbound
11-17-2022, 11:38 AM
Hah. I was hoping no one would ask. I got skunked all weekend. I fished one of the two trout lakes I frequent Friday morning and Saturday afternoon, and only saw one rainbow all day. :scared0018: There were talks of a summer kill on the lake, and my fly fishing friends who came up in the Fall caught one nice fish off the bat and then it was so bad they left early. Losing this lake and Obed in the same year really, really sucks. :(

Went out for whitefish in the afternoon on Friday as well. Saw about 20 fish in total up on a shoal getting ready to spawn, but nothing showed any resemblance in interest in my myriad of offerings. I'm going to get serious and be out for first light this weekend to have another go.

I'd say my ego is crushed but that's fishing. I think that might be the first time getting skunked on opening weekend though...definitely with that kind of time logged.

I think I know which lake you're talking about. I've heard rumors of a summer kill as well. I fished it in October and managed one really good fish and one small one. It was really slow. I also saw 2 fish belly up near shore. I wouldn't be surprised if it did have a summer kill as the algae bloom seemed pretty heavy and I also seem to remember it dying off earlier than it did this year. It's a real shame as it's our favorite lake to ice fish.

AlbertanGP
11-17-2022, 01:45 PM
I'm sure it's the lake you're thinking of. Odd that the one fish I saw was a 6-8lb beast. I was thinking of spending more time on another nearby lake this winter anyways, so maybe this is a blessing for me.