PDA

View Full Version : Nymph Line

DarkAisling
09-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Trying to learn a little about fly lines. What is a "Nymph" line, and why would a person choose to use that? Would not one of three other types of line (floating, sinking tip, sinking) work?

This is what I came across: Nymph Line @ Fishin' Hole (https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3858791&enlargeSkuz=23579&GOZ=31&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=&PRODUCTSEARCH=&FILTERBYPRICE=AND retailPrice is not null&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&PAGEAT=3&SEARCHFORTEXT=rio)

flygirrl
09-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Trying to learn a little about fly lines. What is a "Nymph" line, and why would a person choose to use that? Would not one of three other types of line (floating, sinking tip, sinking) work?

This is what I came across: Nymph Line @ Fishin' Hole (https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3858791&enlargeSkuz=23579&GOZ=31&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=&PRODUCTSEARCH=&FILTERBYPRICE=AND retailPrice is not null&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&PAGEAT=3&SEARCHFORTEXT=rio)
I have never used it but it is Supposed to be eaisier to mend your line in fast water etc. Punch in Nympth line on google and you will find the use for it. If I was nympthing I just use a sinking line or floating line with a small amount of soft weight to get the nympth down deep for whites. If your fishing nympths in a lake a small fly bobber and your floating line will do. Im thinking there is to much out there and you can buy everything that comes out but what you have will do.:wave: Maybe someone else can be more inlightning:lol:

TroutHunter
09-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the wonderful , incredibly expensive world of fly fishing. If you search enough you'll find there are lines for just about everything. Streamer lines , nymphing lines , lines for specific fish , like pike lines which have most of there weight in the first 10 feet or so to help cast big pike flies. All of these speciality items kind of of fall into the category of "nice to have , but can easily be made do without"

If you really want to get into it , Sage makes a line of rods specifically designed for nymphing one of which can be yours for the low , low price of about $800.

Bottom line is IMHO , a floating line is all you need in 90% of situations coupled with split shot , or a sinking leader you have no problems.

Justflyfish4eva
09-20-2009, 01:18 PM
like said up top, that line is designed so that you can roll cast it a little easyer, and mend your line, it is supposed to float a little better, and almost act like an indicator at the very end of the line.
all you need to do is go one weight over on your rod and you will get the same ability for roll casting or single hand spay.

WayneChristie
09-20-2009, 01:44 PM
and you wonder why I like hardware, so much simpler, spend my time having fun fishing instead !

DarkAisling
09-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the info . . . all I've really filed away in my brain is "I don't need nyphing line."

I don't wonder at all why you like hardware, Wayne. :lol: It is my goal to become a very versitile anger :) Basically, that means I'll be an expert at nothing.

WayneChristie
09-20-2009, 08:44 PM
well you will be able to write a book about ways not to catch fish LOL you will be good in time, everyone starts small, unless they are at PCR :) Im still learning, every time I go fishing, thats what keeps it fun.

DarkAisling
09-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I have to stop referring to myself as a crummy angler. The reputation I've given myself is really taking hold!

WayneChristie
09-20-2009, 08:49 PM
with all the knowledge you are gaining here the rest of wont stand a chance. :tongue2: when you go back to work you wont be able to stop thinking about fishing now.

DarkAisling
09-20-2009, 08:55 PM
11 days 'till I'm back behind the desk. I'm dreading it. We've got 11 days to win the lottery. :cry:

My immediate supervisor is an angler from Ontario who frequently discusses fishing with me. I'm sure the fish-talk will continue :)

He knows nothing about fly fishing, though, so I'll have a little bit of a leg up on that one.