PDA

View Full Version : Ice shack dog bed

MaxxiD
11-15-2022, 05:43 PM
What does everyone use?

My dog is pitbull. Massive princess, gets cold easily. I have the Cabela's 5 sided tent, uninsulated.

As of now she sits in one of those big Costco camping chairs with my wife. We had an elevated dog camping bed, but it kept sliding all over the place and freaking her out.

What is everyone using? Who has any ideas?

swampy45
11-15-2022, 06:30 PM
Honestly, the KUMA Dog Beds are pretty sweet, but they take up a lot of space, are not cheap, and are a bit heavy. In the summer, they work, but ice fishing they're not ideal.

I winter camp with three dogs frequently (black lab, lab/pitbull, and a collie cross), and we typically put out our foam matting as a floor across the entire tent (we have a dedicated sleeping tent), then bring three big round Costco beds and put them under our cots. The dogs are always warm, out of the way, and can cozy up to each other as they need. As an added bonus, the dog beds help keep even more cold out from under the cots and we mutually benefit each other for warmth. Its a lot of crap to pack around, but a warm, comfy, and nappy dog is way better than cold, wet, and whiny!

When it gets seriously cold we have considered bringing them up on the cots with us, but they prefer to stay curled up on their beds. It seems to be working for them. And as you mentioned, our pitty/lab is a big baby, and he doesn't complain.

This winter I may see about bringing a third cot, and putting all three dog beds on it to get them off the ground. The beds are thick enough that they don't get cold or wet on the ice, but still, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Dewey Cox
11-15-2022, 07:05 PM
Your dogs have more comfortable seats than I do...

swampy45
11-15-2022, 09:36 PM
Your dogs have more comfortable seats than I do...

my dogs live a grand life courtesy of my ol' lady. They're treated and fed better than most kids these days. I'm just along for the ride and have to figure out how to pack everything. :scared0018:

MaxxiD
11-16-2022, 06:11 AM
I have never seen or heard of those KUMA beds before. Just checked them out, they are sweet. The price isn't too bad, pretty much on par with everything else these days. We have some foam matting, bit maybe we'll get some more. Having them sleep under the bed is a good idea as well

Yep, I agree with the rest of you, my dog has a better life than me too haha

58thecat
11-16-2022, 06:16 AM
my dogs live a grand life courtesy of my ol' lady. They're treated and fed better than most kids these days. I'm just along for the ride and have to figure out how to pack everything. :scared0018:

You are well trained:)

If I ever was to back in the day when my lab was still with us ice camp well my bed was hers and we would both be warm even if I made her own bed up...she always managed to take all the room up.:)

EZM
11-25-2022, 06:22 PM
We bought a couple of these light weight dog beds (very light and take up very little room if you lay them on top of your gear after loading your truck bed) and we lay a blanket or pad on it (I use a moving blanket folded up) and the dogs are off the cold ice and nice an comfy.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pawhut-30-elevated-pet-bed-dog-cat-cot-cozy-cooling-camp-lounger-sleeper/1001684642?eid=PS_GOOGLE_D00%20-%20E-Comm_GGL_Shopping_PLA_EN_All%20Products_All%20Prod ucts__PRODUCT_GROUP_pla-298555526333&gclid=CjwKCAiA7IGcBhA8EiwAFfUDsZ8jcUjZMRR0Gp8AK6hc 8OrXdN2WgggYDY6VGMW99_ngeBVWDI2ZZRoC1n4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also slide some stuff under it like my rod case, camp stove to make good use of the storage situation (which could be tight in a tent).

One of the beds we layed over the camera hole (with the panner and a foam cover I made) as you are not accessing that hole very often when fishing.

Keeping the pups off the ice is the key here.