PDA

View Full Version : 6 lb. Rainbows in Alberta

Don Andersen
11-22-2022, 07:36 AM
Folks,

Cow Lake is producing them & lots of anglers enjoying them. Saw 15 vehicles there Sunday afternoon. Thankfully no one is driving on yet.
The rainbows are averaging 6 lbs with the odd one to 8 plus the rare brown to near 10.
Recommend 10” holes.
This is not your typical AlBerta rainbow lake.
Although the road and parking lot are not plowed, I saw a number of small cars at the lake.

Don

ghostguy6
11-22-2022, 07:40 AM
And now that it was posted publicly the lake will be fished out by Christmas......

Drewski Canuck
11-22-2022, 07:56 AM
Brood fish are Brood fish.

The average Rainbow in Alberta cannot get old enough to reach 6 - 10 pds with our few stocked lakes and the fishing pressure.

But if a Brood fish is in the lake, you do get these outliers.

Drewski

MooseRiverTrapper
11-22-2022, 07:57 AM
Ouch death blow. RIP cow.

TROLLER
11-22-2022, 08:12 AM
Ouch death blow. RIP cow.

X2 But thanks for saving me the tank of gas I was gonna burn driving up and back.

Don Andersen
11-22-2022, 09:09 AM
Brood fish are Brood fish.

The average Rainbow in Alberta cannot get old enough to reach 6 - 10 pds with our few stocked lakes and the fishing pressure.

But if a Brood fish is in the lake, you do get these outliers.

Drewski

Sorry about your delusion. The fish stocked are overages from the hatchery. They are <>8” when stocked.

Don

Don Andersen
11-22-2022, 09:11 AM
The lake is 2500 acres. Lots of room.

Have fun while it lasts. There has been partial winterkills each year.

Don

HuyFishin
11-22-2022, 10:06 AM
seeee you on the lake!!!

I’d rather be outdoors
11-22-2022, 05:58 PM
Honestly, that’s nothing compared to the monsters coming out of Frank lake this year.

TROLLER
11-23-2022, 10:25 AM
Honestly, that’s nothing compared to the monsters coming out of Frank lake this year.

Now why would you go and give away that huge secret spot?:thinking-006:

WayneChristie
11-23-2022, 10:32 AM
once again Frank is laid bare on the interweb. all those fat fish just waiting to be hauled in I guess it will be a steady decline this winter with all the publicity. :argue2: I still dont believe that guy from Calgary caught and ate what would have been the new provincial record fish! I was hoping to catch her myself this winter!:fighting0074:

I’d rather be outdoors
11-23-2022, 06:43 PM
once again Frank is laid bare on the interweb. all those fat fish just waiting to be hauled in I guess it will be a steady decline this winter with all the publicity. :argue2: I still dont believe that guy from Calgary caught and ate what would have been the new provincial record fish! I was hoping to catch her myself this winter!:fighting0074:

Not sure if you saw the pics, but that Walter was something else. Indescribable really. Thought he posted that he caught it by the old barn right where that spring feeds into the lake. Man alive, I’d never be caught swimming in those waters with giant Esox around too, they kinda look like sharks. Sorry Wayne, didn’t mean to give up one of the honey holes, but let’s be honest, pretty tough to keep a productive lake like Frank a secret.

bessiedog
11-23-2022, 07:05 PM
I use full sized mallards for bait there.

But now the secrets out….. damn you all.

SNAPFisher
11-23-2022, 07:25 PM

You ever fish French Creek that flows into Frank Lake.... you haven't lived!!

tallieho
11-24-2022, 05:18 AM
For all the nae sayers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XeDvKqI4E

I’d rather be outdoors
11-24-2022, 07:26 AM
I use full sized mallards for bait there.

But now the secrets out….. damn you all.

Didn’t connect the dots till you mentioned this, but I did mysteriously loose a goose decoy on basin 3 this year :scared0015:

tallieho
11-24-2022, 10:05 AM
Recent catch from Frank lk https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/fisherman-catches-giant-goldfish-carrot-scn/index.html

Sundancefisher
11-24-2022, 11:14 AM
Doing something wrong. Been sitting on Frank Lake all day waiting for the big bite and nothing. Water is like soup.

:bad_boys_20:

WayneChristie
11-24-2022, 11:17 AM
Doing something wrong. Been sitting on Frank Lake all day waiting for the big bite and nothing. Water is like soup.

:bad_boys_20:

did you remember to pee in the hole? I find the biggest fish prefer the yellow side. just remember to check down the hole for jumping pike before you let'r rip pike do enjoy a good meal of worms too

AltaBorn
11-24-2022, 01:53 PM
Now why would you go and give away that huge secret spot?:thinking-006:

I’m guessing the OP and IRBO both vote Orange. That’d explain the thought process.. or lack of one. Why post this info on the web?? Both lakes will look like a Walmart parking lot come Jan. :snapoutofit:

Smoky buck
11-24-2022, 02:27 PM
I’m guessing the OP and IRBO both vote Orange. That’d explain the thought process.. or lack of one. Why post this info on the web?? Both lakes will look like a Walmart parking lot come Jan. :snapoutofit:

He has agenda and is trying to promote it

Don has a dream of stocking rainbows into Alberta’s pike/walleye lakes. Cow lack supports his dream so he is promoting the fishery to increase interest. He is just beating around the bush about it.

Won’t find him outside of the fly fishing section without a goal in mind lol

Feeding pike is not a horrible idea though but it all depends on the regs and management plan’s that would go with it

Sundancefisher
11-24-2022, 04:28 PM

The lake is highly productive but prone to winterkill.

Hence there are too fields of thought.

1. Keep it secret. Enjoy the fishing until it winterkills. Maybe you catch and release or maybe not.

2. Keep harvest up to make room for new stockers… large lake is hard to fish out so many large fish will remain even under lots of pressure. Lakes harder to fish from shore and not many have the luxury of a boat. Before it winterkills it’s better to harvest and take advantage of the growth.

This hasn’t been a secret. Anyone who fishes and has a pulse in Alberta has heard the lake is producing big fish.

It’s a long ways from large centres

MountainTi
11-24-2022, 07:47 PM
The lake is highly productive but prone to winterkill.

Hence there are too fields of thought.

1. Keep it secret. Enjoy the fishing until it winterkills. Maybe you catch and release or maybe not.

2. Keep harvest up to make room for new stockers… large lake is hard to fish out so many large fish will remain even under lots of pressure. Lakes harder to fish from shore and not many have the luxury of a boat. Before it winterkills it’s better to harvest and take advantage of the growth.

This hasn’t been a secret. Anyone who fishes and has a pulse in Alberta has heard the lake is producing big fish.

It’s a long ways from large centres

If they are averaging 6lbs with the odd 10lbr thrown in I'm gonna guess winterkill isn't much of an issue
Not sure how you figure cow is a long ways from large centers?

goldscud
11-24-2022, 07:57 PM
After the last incomplete winterkill just a few years ago, there is an explosion of invertebrates and probably minnows, that provide an incredible food base for the trout that were stocked. Since the illegally stocked perch numbers were hammered by the winterkill there was tons of bugs for the trout to grow at incredible rates.
Too bad the bucket brigade can't understand the issue with perch devouring all the food that makes big trout.
As perch numbers rebound, the trout growth rates will fall off again.

We wouldn't want a lake with consistent 6-8lb trout here in Alberta......
that wouldn't be popular at all.
It's sad really

I’d rather be outdoors
11-24-2022, 07:59 PM
I’m guessing the OP and IRBO both vote Orange

Ouch. :snapoutofit: never. I’d sooner go for a swim in Frank lake.

Don Andersen
11-25-2022, 03:31 AM
He has agenda and is trying to promote it

Don has a dream of stocking rainbows into Alberta’s pike/walleye lakes. Cow lack supports his dream so he is promoting the fishery to increase interest. He is just beating around the bush about it.

Won’t find him outside of the fly fishing section without a goal in mind lol

Feeding pike is not a horrible idea though but it all depends on the regs and management plan’s that would go with it

Putting the hatchery overages in Cow Lake realizes a use for them. If some tourist $’s get spent here. Good!

As far as stocking coarse fish lakes with trout , the irrigation systems already do that,

Don

Smoky buck
11-25-2022, 08:08 AM
Putting the hatchery overages in Cow Lake realizes a use for them. If some tourist $’s get spent here. Good!

As far as stocking coarse fish lakes with trout , the irrigation systems already do that,

Don

Just don’t beat around the bush with your motives is what I am saying

You have a vision you want to see cool just be up front

crazy_davey
11-25-2022, 12:51 PM
Just don’t beat around the bush with your motives is what I am saying

I think you’re asking too much from old Donny boy…

barbless
11-27-2022, 10:39 AM
I say let em keep bragging about the sizes and the locations. It will keep all others away from my !@#$% Lake. :thinking-006: Location is on a need to know basis. I will decide if you need to know :sHa_sarcasticlol:

WayneChristie
11-27-2022, 12:38 PM
I say let em keep bragging about the sizes and the locations. It will keep all others away from my !@#$% Lake. :thinking-006: Location is on a need to know basis. I will decide if you need to know :sHa_sarcasticlol:

50 33'57.20N
113 44'03.00 W
dont lose your gear on the powerlines

Don Andersen
11-27-2022, 10:20 PM
I think you’re asking too much from old Donny boy…

Crazy,
Now just what is wrong with increasing tourist $’s.

Don

TROLLER
11-28-2022, 08:41 AM
50 33'57.20N
113 44'03.00 W
dont lose your gear on the powerlines

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!! those directions sent me to Frank Lake

Did not get any large trout but used your idea of a mallard and caught an 18 pounder, not much fight seems it choked on the duck.:)

fish99
11-28-2022, 09:31 AM
I have only caught rainbows in frank lake some were a nice size beautiful area of the province.

Smoky buck
11-28-2022, 09:48 AM
I have only caught rainbows in frank lake some were a nice size beautiful area of the province.

Must be all the carp they are eating

lambski
11-28-2022, 09:58 AM
I used to do a lot fishing and remember hearing about the Rainbows 20 plus years ago..I wouldnt worry about it too much...I wonder how many cycles ocurred in that time and they are still around!:bad_boys_20:

Sundancefisher
11-28-2022, 12:05 PM
If they are averaging 6lbs with the odd 10lbr thrown in I'm gonna guess winterkill isn't much of an issue
Not sure how you figure cow is a long ways from large centers?

Incorrect. It’s a very productive lake. Winterkill of perch allowed rebound in invertebrate population. As a result fast growth rates. For instance… the stocked trout we buy for our lake are spawned in November and by the following October range in size from 12 to 18 inch. This is after one years growth. If not over stocked… Cow Lake will produce big rainbows. Once the perch population rebounds… large trout will once again be a thing of the past. Hopefully everyone keeps their perch limit also. I do find Large rainbows eat dead perch off the bottom.

Anyways… I’m not advocating any management strategy as I don’t fish that lake… yet lol.

Still options are a put and take lake or a quality trout fishing lake. Both have merit given growth rates as long as stocking levels aren’t excessive to the plan. Both likely have limited life as the lake surely has perch. There are enough springs in the area and beaver dams to have allow even a handful of perch to survive the winterkill. Those will eventually take over the lake. Only took a bucket of perch minnows brought in by two teenage boys to wreck havoc on our lake.

Sundancefisher
11-28-2022, 12:06 PM

Frank Lake

Those are just tiny trout. No Prussian carp there. :thinking-006:

Sigh.

That’s one lake that could use dredging and a lake level rise and aeration. Then hopefully make pike catch and release. Have to think pike can grow huge on all those carp.

Maybe stock muskies.

pope
11-28-2022, 05:53 PM
Ahh nothing like a good agenda! It was hard enough to park truck with boat trailer there this summer and likely impossible next year, thanks Don. Perhaps with all these new tourist dollars they can make the lot bigger. Oh as a tip folks, don’t park your friggin RV in the Rec lot / boat launch area, go to the campground. And if you are a tuber or just shore fishing, maybe don’t park in the middle where the veh/Boat trailer needs to park. Lots of room on the lake Don, not so much in the parking lot.

bessiedog
11-28-2022, 06:19 PM
Yea….. letting the gini out of the bottle sucks.

Kind of reminds me wayyy back in 2008 when someone here posted about Dipping Vatt lake.

Then Calgary moved in.

TROLLER
11-29-2022, 08:17 AM
Yea….. letting the gini out of the bottle sucks.

Kind of reminds me wayyy back in 2008 when someone here posted about Dipping Vatt lake.

Then Calgary moved in.

X2 on that one. Also I remember when you could catch some decent burbot at Pine Coulee.

fish99
11-29-2022, 09:25 AM
cow lake had big rainbows back in the 70s and 80s then the perch took over.
and then they were not stocked for a long time. check the old stocking lists. .to see exact time lines of when the perch were introduced .

leeelmer
12-01-2022, 11:05 AM
I have caught some monster rainbows on Abraham Lake, I won't say the weight, as I have been down that road before. lol

Got them in the spring and summer out of a boat, and in the winter ice fishing.
I don't recommend boat fishing, unless you know the lake well, and there are no boat launches, as the lake level changes drastically during the year.
But there are some pigs out there, but they are tough to catch.

dodger
12-01-2022, 12:55 PM

This all day long.

Dodger

fish99
12-02-2022, 10:01 AM

no carp in frank lake it is in the crowsnest area.

WayneChristie
12-02-2022, 10:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbr0zg-yIyc

TROLLER
12-02-2022, 01:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbr0zg-yIyc

Well now, that kinda says it all don't ya think:)

Just don't let it out about those bulls in Frank:sHa_sarcasticlol:

EZM
12-08-2022, 07:45 PM
Incorrect. It’s a very productive lake. Winterkill of perch allowed rebound in invertebrate population. As a result fast growth rates. For instance… the stocked trout we buy for our lake are spawned in November and by the following October range in size from 12 to 18 inch. This is after one years growth. If not over stocked… Cow Lake will produce big rainbows. Once the perch population rebounds… large trout will once again be a thing of the past. Hopefully everyone keeps their perch limit also. I do find Large rainbows eat dead perch off the bottom.

Anyways… I’m not advocating any management strategy as I don’t fish that lake… yet lol.

Still options are a put and take lake or a quality trout fishing lake. Both have merit given growth rates as long as stocking levels aren’t excessive to the plan. Both likely have limited life as the lake surely has perch. There are enough springs in the area and beaver dams to have allow even a handful of perch to survive the winterkill. Those will eventually take over the lake. Only took a bucket of perch minnows brought in by two teenage boys to wreck havoc on our lake.

100% agree.

Eutrophic lakes, like Cow, which are highly productive, will produce growth rates 400%-500% times faster compared to Mesotrophic lakes with less forage and far slower growth rates.

This also is directly correlated to winter kill (or partial winter kills) but does not necessarily mean the lake will have an absolute kill every year.