PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp for catfish bait

PMJ
11-28-2022, 03:35 AM
Does anyone have luck with raw shrimp? I read about some guys using shrimp. I have had great luck with chicken liver. Do you let it get funky or just right outa the bag?

WayneChristie
11-28-2022, 07:47 AM
good luck, with only 1 waterbody having a catfish population in Alberta you arent going to catch any anyways no matter what you use for bait :snapoutofit:
out of province I did great with just a worm for bait :test:

Lornce
11-28-2022, 07:52 AM
I wish everyone would use their location in their posts. We have people posting that are not from Alberta.

Smoky buck
11-28-2022, 07:59 AM
good luck, with only 1 waterbody having a catfish population in Alberta you arent going to catch any anyways no matter what you use for bait :snapoutofit:
out of province I did great with just a worm for bait :test:

I never knew Alberta had stone cats(catfish in general) till reading your post and looking into it

You caused me to become just a wee bit smarter today :happy0034:

WayneChristie
11-28-2022, 09:15 AM
I never knew Alberta had stone cats(catfish in general) till reading your post and looking into it

You caused me to become just a wee bit smarter today :happy0034:

when I was down at WOS park this fall the water was low and clear, man does that little river ever have some good looking fishing spots! may have to try some canoeing next season. I have a feeling fly fishing for sauger could be very interesting and maybe try an all nighter for stones. My first out of province catfish hunt was so much fun, tossed out a worm and had a 15 pound cat in probably less than a minute. helped that buddy fishes those spots all the time and told me where to cast. same hole got 2 22 pound carp back to back, again on a worm.

antlercarver
11-29-2022, 08:43 AM
Some people call burbot a catfish.

freeride
11-29-2022, 09:10 AM
Back when I lived in MB lots of guys used cheap shrimp right from a shrimp ring for bait. I always used beef liver, much cheaper and it worked great. In a little current it leaves a nice scent trail

mapleleafman3
11-29-2022, 12:11 PM
When I fished for blues in Wisconsin, we would use chicken livers, small frogs, or stink bait (catalpa worm flavor).