PDA

View Full Version : Pike tipups without bait

Brodhead
12-03-2022, 08:46 PM
Any tips for tipup fishing without bait or scent for pike? Planning an overnight trip to a lake that doesn't allow bait of any kind. Thinking maybe just a glow tube or jig. Anyone have any luck scentless?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Talking moose
12-04-2022, 08:15 AM
Only thing I can think of would be a jigging jawjacker.
If your unsure what it is there is lots of info through google or YouTube.
Pretty deadly on the extra hole where bait isn’t allowed.
Without the use of scents or bait, movement will up success rate dramatically.

Smoky buck
12-04-2022, 08:35 AM
Only thing I can think of would be a jigging jawjacker.
If your unsure what it is there is lots of info through google or YouTube.
Pretty deadly on the extra hole where bait isn’t allowed.
Without the use of scents or bait, movement will up success rate dramatically.

This is my thoughts as well

TROLLER
12-04-2022, 09:30 AM
Jig rapala or better yet a chubby dartar. Both will bring the pike in. if it is slow then switch over to a rattling rap. It will lots of times bring the pike coming in fast.

I don't see a dead tip up doing you any good. Just get after the rapala or dartar and you will catch some fish

WayneChristie
12-04-2022, 03:16 PM
if you dont want to jig a big pike fly suspended under a tipup may work. especially with a windlass tipup to keep it moving. "may" better than a bare hook anyways

Bushleague
12-04-2022, 03:48 PM
I've done OK using a large russian hook, or a 1/4 oz Williams spoon under a windlass tipup, tipped with a minnow head of course, but I wouldnt consider it a complete waste of time to try that setup without bait. A jig or swimbait would likely work too. If you are watching a jigging tipup carefully, you can see the fish bugging the hook way before the flag pops and be ready to set the hook when they take it.

I agree that jigging would likely be a better bet. I like using 1/2 oz Len Thompson and Williams spoons, and Rattlin Raps.

WayneChristie
12-04-2022, 04:46 PM
I've done OK using a large russian hook, or a 1/4 oz Williams spoon under a windlass tipup, tipped with a minnow head of course, but I wouldnt consider it a complete waste of time to try that setup without bait. A jig or swimbait would likely work too. If you are watching a jigging tipup carefully, you can see the fish bugging the hook way before the flag pops and be ready to set the hook when they take it.

I agree that jigging would likely be a better bet. I like using 1/2 oz Len Thompson and Williams spoons, and Rattlin Raps.

I have a rattle lure with no hooks, sometimes if its dead I pull a bait and jig the crap out of it for a while then drop the bait back. kinda sad when the only fish of the day grabs the hookless lure tho and its happened. kinda like fighting a decent pike on the walleye you have hooked, you know its fun while it lasts but its gonna end in defeat. :sHa_shakeshout:

ghostguy6
12-05-2022, 01:01 PM
I have had luck deadsticking a swimbait before but its rare.

EZM
12-05-2022, 01:55 PM
Without any movement, anything that isn't "bait" is going to be tough.

As others mentioned, windlass, jigging jacker etc... are good options.

If you don't have any of that stuff - You can always grab a willow stick, jab it into the snow, add a plastic bag to the top of it and run your line over the top (can use an elastic band) to give it some movement.

pikergolf
12-05-2022, 07:28 PM
Many, many years ago there was a man that was a regular at yellow lake back when it had decent water quality. He fished nothing but a jig he tied. He soldered a treble hook to the shaft of a 3/8oz jig head. He tied on a large clump of yellow marabou for the tail and then wrapped the body with yellow and black chenille. the body looked like a bumble bee. He would just tremble the jig a little to get the marabou to dance. He caught a ton of fish with it and sold more than few to young and impressionable anglers. :thinking-006: If I remember correctly he was selling them at five bucks a pop back in the late 70s. :scared:

Seems to me something like this would be ideal for your situation.

AlbertanGP
12-05-2022, 08:14 PM
Bondy Bait (https://bondyfishing.com/collections/musky-pike-lake-trout-plastics) on a Jigging Jaw Jacker gets my vote. I assume they're big fish if you're willing to put in the effort without bait.