PDA

View Full Version : Best One man Ice fishing tent

Amateur Hunter
12-04-2022, 05:42 PM
Hey guys,
Ice fishing season is fast approaching and I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on the best quality and warmest single person ice fishing pop up tent.
Thanks in advance!

Reign_Man
12-04-2022, 06:28 PM
I have an Eskimo Quickfish 2 and a 949i. I bought the Qf2 because I wanted a one-person shelter that was light enough to drag in a sled. I find the height too low and wish I'd purchased a 3 for that extra headroom. It's great for spring ice fishing or when the temperature is not -20 C. For the colder temps I like the added insulation that is found in my 949i. If I were to do it all over again I'd spend my money on the Quickfish 3i. A little more overall weight but I won't be burning through my propane as much either. I've had both these shelters out in extremely windy conditions and they both impressed me for durability. Great build quality even for the uninsulated model. Hope this helps....Just my opinion...

Stubb
12-04-2022, 08:09 PM
Shappell bay runner. I have one for sale. Don’t think you get them in Canada.

Scott N
12-05-2022, 04:56 AM
I have the same 2 tents at Reign_Man. The Quick Fish 2 was my first tent, and having owned both now, I would look at an insulated model of what ever tent you end up going with, not only because of the extra warmth, but it really cuts down the condensation. The QF2 is about the perfect size for 1 guy and gear other than the height as mentioned previously.... it's too low to stand straight up in, and I stand a towering 5'7". That's not a deal breaker, but having the larger tent made me realize that standing / stretching helps fight fatigue without having to go outside and letting out heat if it's cold out.

The only downside to looking at an insulated tent is the extra weight / bulk, but if / when I buy another tent, it will be an insulated one. There are so many tents out there these days... Eskimo, Otter, Clam.... they all make good stuff, plus there are a lot of other manufacturers. I will say that I had a warranty issue with Eskimo, and dealing with them was 100% easy, so I can say they back their products up with good customer service.

I still own and use both tents. The QF2 is nice when I go by myself and it's not too cold out, and the 949i is perfect for 2 guys, or if it's really cold out. Downside is the size and weight of the larger tent... it's overkill for 1 person.

AlbertanGP
12-05-2022, 08:20 PM
Hey guys,
Ice fishing season is fast approaching and I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on the best quality and warmest single person ice fishing pop up tent.
Thanks in advance!

Best quality will be a near endless debate.
Warmest will be a Thermal-Tec Otter or a StormShield Eskimo (or maybe a Clam. I haven't seen one of the new ones).
Best tent for one person depends on the person. Can't answer that until we know how you fish, what you're fishing for, and what other gear and electronics you use.

Jims83cj5
12-05-2022, 10:11 PM
I went with a Eskimo escape 2400, i know it’s a two person but will mostly be a one person for me

58thecat
12-06-2022, 06:25 AM
I went with a Eskimo escape 2400, i know it’s a two person but will mostly be a one person for me

Always up the tent one more rating I say.
Realistically a two man just fits one person and gear....just....

Jims83cj5
12-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Always up the tent one more rating I say.
Realistically a two man just fits one person and gear....just....

That’s what I figured, just wonder how you get a half man into a 1 man

58thecat
12-06-2022, 07:29 PM
That’s what I figured, just wonder how you get a half man into a 1 man

Fish lube:)

TROLLER
12-07-2022, 12:37 PM
I fish solo a lot so I trust my reliable GMC has a built in heater:)