PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake trout retention

wildalberta
12-07-2022, 07:21 PM
without going into much detail, it is in the works to change the trout retention rules. I am curious as to what people would prefer in regards to eating a bunch of fish or having a more trophy quality lake. I cant seem to find how to start up a poll.

Red Bullets
12-07-2022, 09:16 PM
At the bottom of the page you are using to make your post has the place to make a poll.

LJalberta
12-07-2022, 09:34 PM
I like having a balance of lakes where one can keep fish along with trophy fisheries. For cold lake, my own selfish interest would be aiming towards creating a trophy fishery.

Worm
12-08-2022, 06:02 AM
Agree with a trophy fishery. Not many Alberta lakes have the potential to produce large fish like Cold does. I'd like to see us tap into that potential.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

58thecat
12-08-2022, 06:45 AM
My perspective would be a slot size on a tag draw system, say 20-24 inch are keepers (pretty much best eaters) two tags per season per angler, not sure what the tags numbers should be though but keep it fairly low to watch them really get into that over 30 plus inch ranges and bigger:sHa_shakeshout:

Fish the lake lots and catch about 20 per season over 30 inches that all go back, eye ball a lot of 20 inchers that would make great table fare but all go back.

Many anglers keep the legal ones but if we want a true drive up trophy destination this will have to change if not expect to have a good day catching many lakers with few going over the 30 inch mark.

It’s a tuff balance for sure but can be done.

I’d rather be outdoors
12-08-2022, 07:52 AM
Agree with a trophy fishery. Not many Alberta lakes have the potential to produce large fish like Cold does. I'd like to see us tap into that potential.

Disagree, our waters have the potential but there’s no “will” to make them better. Stocking of minnows in some would greatly enhance. Discussion for another thread though…

AlbertanGP
12-08-2022, 08:01 AM
I am curious as to what people would prefer in regards to eating a bunch of fish or having a more trophy quality lake.

As one of the only Lakes in Alberta where you can catch a lake trout, is this even a legitimate question? Drive a couple more hours into northern Saskatchewan if you're on a meat run.

3blade
12-08-2022, 08:03 AM
The problem with trying to create a “trophy” fishery in Alberta is the nets, and the province can’t stop that, or does not have the will to do so.

I don’t support any further restrictions. Allow the LICENSED anglers who are paying for F&W/conservation to enjoy a meal now and then

Jamie Black R/T
12-08-2022, 09:53 AM
In my own selfish opinion Id vote for trophy regs.

I don't find lake trout fishing enjoyable at all unless there's the chance of a big one.

Small (eater sized) lakers on downriggers isn't fun. Its a lot of work for what you get out of it. Our time at cold lake is usually spent on a beach or watching jets. The fishing is just meh. Tiresome unhooking a 100 tiny bleeding lakers through the day.

I know most wont agree....that's just my own personal feelings on the topic. After fishing some northern lakes with big lakers, there isn't much that draws me to cold lake. If it wasn't for friends and family in the area, Id likely never take the time to fish it in its current state.

without going into much detail...

Please, go into detail!

SNAPFisher
12-08-2022, 10:41 AM
I would vote "trophy" as well. It would be something to see Mrs. Erickson's record to be challenged :)

HL_transplant
12-08-2022, 12:29 PM

I don't find lake trout fishing enjoyable at all unless there's the chance of a big one.

Small (eater sized) lakers on downriggers isn't fun. Its a lot of work for what you get out of it. Our time at cold lake is usually spent on a beach or watching jets. The fishing is just meh. Tiresome unhooking a 100 tiny bleeding lakers through the day.

I know most wont agree....that's just my own personal feelings on the topic. After fishing some northern lakes with big lakers, there isn't much that draws me to cold lake. If it wasn't for friends and family in the area, Id likely never take the time to fish it in its current state.

Please, go into detail!

I feel the same way. I'll take company once in a blue moon but for my own enjoyment I'd never fish it again, the fishing is pretty brutal compared to 15 years ago.

wildalberta
12-08-2022, 12:48 PM
I am all for a trophy fishery as well, it is a unique/special lake for alberta and allot of people travel to it as a destination. It seems the direction the current discussions are headed is to increase harvest and a trophy fishery is not a priority.

-JR-
12-08-2022, 01:50 PM
If they would stop allowing natives to net I would say trophy also .
But since that will never happen bring on some tags for a mid range slot size like 60-65 cm

Jamie Black R/T
12-08-2022, 02:06 PM
It seems the direction the current discussions are headed is to increase harvest and a trophy fishery is not a priority.

Increased harvest of smaller size would likely help trophy size. Increased harvest at the current minimum size will only hurt it more.

Make a tight slot of smaller fish...better to eat anyway. Once they are over the slot they can grow to their potential.

Some of which will be tanks that lake hasn't seen in decades.

58thecat
12-08-2022, 02:46 PM
I feel the same way. I'll take company once in a blue moon but for my own enjoyment I'd never fish it again, the fishing is pretty brutal compared to 15 years ago.

I fished this lake 15 years ago too, bigger lakers were more common, but the action was slower now it seems reverse.
Pike are a blast, perch, burbot too toss in white fish if that’s your fancy and the almost non top laker bite I find this lake far from brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlee
12-08-2022, 03:01 PM

Please, go into detail!

If you're unhooking 100 bleeding dinks from your down riggers then instead of blaming the lake.... maybe change your fishing tactics. I don't have down riggers.... and I enjoy unhooking 100 healthy not bleeding or deeply hooked mid to upper size fish every time we fish cold lake. We catch plenty of "keeper" size fish and they all go back. Absolutely phenomenal fishery with the potential to be even better.

HL_transplant
12-08-2022, 03:12 PM
I fished this lake 15 years ago too, bigger lakers were more common, but the action was slower now it seems reverse.
Pike are a blast, perch, burbot too toss in white fish if that’s your fancy and the almost non top laker bite I find this lake far from brutal.

The fishing was definitely slower but the average size was much better. I'd much rather catch 5 to 10 quality fish in a day than 50 x five to eight pounders. Not many people travel west to fish Pike, burbot, walleye as we have a lot better options much closer to home.

58thecat
12-08-2022, 03:18 PM
The fishing was definitely slower but the average size was much better. I'd much rather catch 5 to 10 quality fish in a day than 50 x five to eight pounders.

I think that is where we would like to get the lake regarding trophy fish but not with the regs the way they are now toss in netting too.

I still have a blast going after such a variety of species and having success relatively easy.

Jamie Black R/T
12-08-2022, 03:31 PM
If you're unhooking 100 bleeding dinks from your down riggers then instead of blaming the lake.... maybe change your fishing tactics. I don't have down riggers.... and I enjoy unhooking 100 healthy not bleeding or deeply hooked mid to upper size fish every time we fish cold lake. We catch plenty of "keeper" size fish and they all go back. Absolutely phenomenal fishery with the potential to be even better.

You catch the same thing everyone else does out there. Many of which are bleeding when they hit the net. 14 Lakers are now bleeding profusely just from me typing that.

You're right though. Jigging them is a lot less work and setup between fish. But the results are the same.

Lake has a ton of potential for harvest and trophy quality. That potential will never be reached by killing the larger breeding stock the second they reach maturity. I don't know if tags are the answer but I know it would sure be nice to set the hook in to a giant Laker close to home again.

fish99
12-08-2022, 05:20 PM
As the population of any fishery increases the size of fish goes down as the food supply is less
I would like to see a trophy fishy aswell
But ithink in order to do that the herd needs to be thined by keeping some of the smaller fish.

Penner
12-08-2022, 06:23 PM
My vote Trophy status with tags issued for smaller fish to manage selective harvest to control the population of smaller fish when needed.

Regularly caught Lakers into the 20lbs and largest caught in our group was 32lbs until word got out about 10/15 years ago. Haven’t seen anything over 12lbs in quite a few years now.

EZM
12-08-2022, 07:30 PM
Here's my thoughts .... one way to increase size/quality of fish is reduce competition for forage - which might mean keeping a few smaller fish for the table - without over harvest (so maybe tags).

And I agree with the sentiment that if you are to "fill the freezer and meat fish" go elsewhere - or better yet, but a case of fish sticks from the grocery store as it's cheaper :).

Personally I'd rather catch the trophy fish, and catch far less, compared to what any novice can accomplish at cold lake - which is steady action hooking smaller lakers all day long.

As far as "bleeders" are concerned, I am a strong proponent of using larger single hooks off my lures when catching any trout species. A smaller treble that gets inhaled down deep into the throat of a trout is a death sentence.

58thecat
12-08-2022, 07:37 PM
My vote Trophy status with tags issued for smaller fish to manage selective harvest to control the population of smaller fish when needed.

Regularly caught Lakers into the 20lbs and largest caught in our group was 32lbs until word got out about 10/15 years ago. Haven’t seen anything over 12lbs in quite a few years now.

Caught in cold lake?
Pics please cuz it would have been the buzz around here.

Penner
12-08-2022, 09:57 PM
Caught in cold lake?
Pics please cuz it would have been the buzz around here.

Ya Cold Lake. The 32lber was caught thru the ice to boot. Luckily we had 10” auger flights otherwise there was no chance she was coming up thru the hole.

58thecat
12-09-2022, 07:50 AM
Ya Cold Lake. The 32lber was caught thru the ice to boot. Luckily we had 10” auger flights otherwise there was no chance she was coming up thru the hole.

If you got a picture please share.....I had a head fill the hole once only to have the stinger break off...I still tell that story :)

Share a picture getting laker fever here.

boonedocks
12-09-2022, 10:11 AM
I would vote for a trophy fishery also, I’m no expert but a couple tags a year for smaller fish might be as close to a “ happy medium” as we can get?

wildalberta
12-09-2022, 11:02 AM
Tags are in discussion. Its not finalized yet but it seems to be heading towards a retention increase and not geared towards a trophy fishery. I think there needs to be some midsize numbers kept to cut sown the numbers a bit, and stop killing the big fish.

Frank_NK28
12-09-2022, 11:38 AM
How is it you can go to a lake like Lac La Plonge in SK that receives a good amount of year round pressure, have a three fish limit with only one allowed 65cm or greater and still have a great fishery?
No you may not have 50-100 fish days as the norm but I have days where we caught a couple dozen fish and never been skunked on a trip there to date.
I'd rather see something like that even if it was just a one fish per angler/day limit with a maximum annual limit.
Instead of a draw have a separate Cold Lake license needed on top of the provincial license and issue "X" number of tags with that license(like they do in some B.C waters). Set a size limit like SK has where only one of your limit can be 65cm or greater and protect the larger breeding fish. By removing some of the smaller fish and releasing the larger ones we would help create an improved baitfish population for a smaller population of predator fish too through reduced competition for food and create a fishery with a better chance of growing more trophy fish.
As fun as it is to have rods firing double headers and action so fast at times you can barely keep up I'd rather have fewer number fish days with a chance of tackling some brutes and be able to at least take a few home to eat for the year.
That's my 0.2 cents worth. :thinking-006:
Anybody here ever fish Lake Nipigon in Ontario? It's a drive to lake right off the Trans-Canada highway and it's as close to a fly in trophy lake as you'll ever get. The lakers average 18lbs and the average fishing day is 7 fish per angler. Retention is 1 fish per angler and barbless single hooks only for ALL species in the lake. And it has one of the best trophy Brook Trout fisheries in the world not to mention amazing trophy Pike fishing and great Walleye fishing.
If it can be done there in a lake that is on the busiest highway in Canada as a drive to destination it can be done in Alberta too.

Frank_NK28
12-09-2022, 11:56 AM
As the population of any fishery increases the size of fish goes down as the food supply is less
I would like to see a trophy fishy aswell
But ithink in order to do that the herd needs to be thined by keeping some of the smaller fish.

This^^^

It seems to be the norm in AB fisheries to create masses of dinks that eat themselves out of house and home until there is a major issue with food to the point the fish are starving.

Supergrit
12-09-2022, 12:02 PM
The problem with trying to create a “trophy” fishery in Alberta is the nets, and the province can’t stop that, or does not have the will to do so.

I don’t support any further restrictions. Allow the LICENSED anglers who are paying for F&W/conservation to enjoy a meal now and then

If there is some netting on in the lake and if that netting is catching lake trout then what the point of trying to change angling rules to make for better fishing

Pioneer2
12-09-2022, 12:02 PM
That what people do that are rich ,go to fly in lakes ,the rest of us want to enjoy catching and eating fish. Same as hunting it's about the experience/culture and putting food on the table.Not egos.

Smoky buck
12-09-2022, 12:08 PM
I don’t think Alberta has any clue how to create a trophy fishery and it’s pretty clear 0 retention/tags is not the answer. Harvest of large fish especially slow growing species is also counter productive. Barbs and bait also doesn’t make sense in C&R or very limited retention waters either

Trophy fisheries are about quality not numbers. It is also about have a good balance between forage species and predators

Using the same tools over and over expecting different results just doesn’t make logical sense. Until there is a change in management style there will not be a change in Alberta’s fisheries

mlee
12-09-2022, 12:38 PM
I don't think forage is an issue in cold lake.....the trout pike and walleye are all very healthy. I've never caught a skinny or sickly looking fish in cold lake ever. There's obviously no shortage of overall numbers either as 5-10 fish per hour is pretty much the norm.....and quite easily most days. I've done my fair share of fishing at la plonge as well....similar sized water body....not as deep overall....but likely about 5% of the pressure Cold sees. Overall catch numbers are lower at la plonge but there are more 15-20lb fish caught and the odd 25lb. Plus you can have lunch. We strictly fished la plonge for years just based on the fact that the regulations make sense and it's only another 2 hours down the road.
Cold Lake has the potential....especially seeing as the current dominant age class are all just coming into that 28-30" mark.

EZM
12-09-2022, 12:50 PM
Anybody here ever fish Lake Nipigon in Ontario? It's a drive to lake right off the Trans-Canada highway and it's as close to a fly in trophy lake as you'll ever get. The lakers average 18lbs and the average fishing day is 7 fish per angler. .

I am surprised to hear the AVERAGE is 18lbs - that's an amazing fishery

Jamie Black R/T
12-09-2022, 02:32 PM
it's about the experience/culture and putting food on the table.Not egos.

Its not always an ego thing. Some of us have ZERO interest in being YouTube famous.

But, like hunting, searching for the biggest, oldest and wisest representation of a species is the most challenging...therefore ignites more of a desire to achieve. Same reason I enjoy walleye tournaments....it has nothing to do with pumping an ego.

That's my personal feelings on it.

Nothing wrong with guys who want to go out and fill a cooler once in a while for a fish fry either....but if thats all fishing is, alberta is doomed cause there isnt enough to go around for all of us.

HL_transplant
12-09-2022, 02:44 PM
Its not always an ego thing. Some of us have ZERO interest in being YouTube famous.

But, like hunting, searching for the biggest, oldest and wisest representation of a species is the most challenging...therefore ignites more of a desire to achieve. Same reason I enjoy walleye tournaments....it has nothing to do with pumping an ego.

That's my personal feelings on it.

Nothing wrong with guys who want to go out and fill a cooler once in a while for a fish fry either....but if thats all fishing is, alberta is doomed cause there isnt enough to go around for all of us.

Exactly. There's 0 challenge to just catching cookie cutter fish. Theres Peirce just down the road if you need to eat a lake trout and it's a even a 2 fish limit.

-JR-
12-09-2022, 02:45 PM
There still are a few big fish in that lake ,but it will not be long before they are all netted out. Catch and released

3blade
12-09-2022, 03:31 PM
If there is some netting on in the lake and if that netting is catching lake trout then what the point of trying to change angling rules to make for better fishing

Same circle jerk in all wildlife management as it stands. F&W just pretend the issue doesn’t exist and make up more rules for us less equals.

Non-treaty fishing (and hunting) is lowest on the management priority list, despite being the most important source of funding. Figure that out.

Frank_NK28
12-09-2022, 03:38 PM
I am surprised to hear the AVERAGE is 18lbs - that's an amazing fishery

It had dropped down to that over the years since I worked up in that area in the late 90's. When I worked there the average was 21lbs. With that in mind there was new regulations brought into place, the current ones I listed. In the 90's you could still retain 5 fish with no size restriction and could use barbed hooks. And there was and still is a commercial fishery on the lake though it is pretty limited and focused primarily on Whitefish but they are allowed a certain amount of Lake Trout as bycatch.

pikeman06
12-09-2022, 07:58 PM
Tags are a joke. It's a license to poach till the game warden is 20 ft away from you. Haven't seen a game warden in 15 years besides driving down a primary highway. It's a well known fact in central alberta with walleye tags that the walleye goes in the bag and the stupid tag beside it till the red and blues are on. Sad but true.

Andy44
12-09-2022, 10:16 PM
Anybody here ever fish Lake Nipigon in Ontario? [...]

If it can be done there in a lake that is on the busiest highway in Canada as a drive to destination it can be done in Alberta too.

It wasn't "done" at a "drive to" destination.

It's a 5000 square kilometer lake that just happens to be next to our biggest highway.

You don't just wake up one day and decide to "make" a second Lake Nipigon.

Penner
12-10-2022, 06:21 AM
If you got a picture please share.....I had a head fill the hole once only to have the stinger break off...I still tell that story :)

Share a picture getting laker fever here.

A 20lbs and the 32lb’er. For the record I did not personally catch the 32lb’er and our little group had the intention to release and attempted to release her but with all the obvious excitement, weighing, photos, long battle, we likely had her up a little to long and she wouldn’t revive. Both fish wound up being canned.

Like I said 20lbs were quite a regular occurrence back in the day. She’s pretty thinned out now.

-JR-
12-10-2022, 07:28 AM
I was wondering what happened to that 32 lb. Laker , used to catch every year than no more .

boonedocks
12-10-2022, 07:29 AM
Tags are a joke. It's a license to poach till the game warden is 20 ft away from you. Haven't seen a game warden in 15 years besides driving down a primary highway. It's a well known fact in central alberta with walleye tags that the walleye goes in the bag and the stupid tag beside it till the red and blues are on. Sad but true.

On a somewhat related note I got pulled over 3 times this November by 3 different fish and wildlife officers in different areas of the province!? That’s gotta be some kinda record?

-JR-
12-10-2022, 07:39 AM
Noticed some talk about Lakers bleeding more when using down riggers over jigging. I don't t totally agree with that . I have done both and I find when using a treble hook over a single hook lure ,gives more damage .
Maybe this is what needs to be changed on this lake also.
Single hook only on all fish in Cold lake .

Same with these derbies where fish need to be handled more before they are released . This needs to stop .

58thecat
12-10-2022, 07:47 AM
A 20lbs and the 32lb’er. For the record I did not personally catch the 32lb’er and our little group had the intention to release and attempted to release her but with all the obvious excitement, weighing, photos, long battle, we likely had her up a little to long and she wouldn’t revive. Both fish wound up being canned.

Like I said 20lbs were quite a regular occurrence back in the day. She’s pretty thinned out now.

Now that’s a bucket full...any pics out of the bucket?

Worm
12-10-2022, 07:52 AM
When fishing cold Lake I use a single hook off a downrigger 90% of the time and release at rhe side of the joat with a hook remover like they do on the west coast. Rarely even touch it. Of course there is some damage and I'm sure they don't all make it but most are reased healthy.

But what I see for fish handling practice from most boats out there makes me cringe. I'd hate to know the mortality. But there is still a lot of small fish so that tells me a small harvest of small ones is doable. Gotta protect the big ones somehow, and allow enough to grow to that stage.

SNAPFisher
12-10-2022, 08:03 AM
On a somewhat related note I got pulled over 3 times this November by 3 different fish and wildlife officers in different areas of the province!? That’s gotta be some kinda record?

No, you are correct. It is not a freak occurrence. I have seen and been stopped a lot as well. Pigeon and Gull the most for sure.

58thecat
12-10-2022, 09:10 AM
There still are a few big fish in that lake ,but it will not be long before they are all netted out. Catch and released

Wow:scared0015:

Penner
12-10-2022, 09:53 AM
Now that’s a bucket full...any pics out of the bucket?

I have a bunch but spot X would be revealed.

mooseknuckle
12-10-2022, 08:27 PM
When fishing cold Lake I use a single hook off a downrigger 90% of the time and release at rhe side of the joat with a hook remover like they do on the west coast. Rarely even touch it. Of course there is some damage and I'm sure they don't all make it but most are reased healthy.

But what I see for fish handling practice from most boats out there makes me cringe. I'd hate to know the mortality. But there is still a lot of small fish so that tells me a small harvest of small ones is doable. Gotta protect the big ones somehow, and allow enough to grow to that stage.

If your close to enough to other boats to see that.... your too close, and should look in the mirror with regards to ediquit.

Worm
12-10-2022, 09:11 PM
If your close to enough to other boats to see that.... your too close, and should look in the mirror with regards to ediquit.Your making a few assumptions in this comment I think you would find incorrect.......

-JR-
12-11-2022, 05:12 AM
Your making a few assumptions in this comment I think you would find incorrect.......

2x

58thecat
12-11-2022, 08:12 AM
If your close to enough to other boats to see that.... your too close, and should look in the mirror with regards to ediquit.

You should see some areas as they fill up real quick with people jigging, catching, enjoying a calm water conversation and a few laughs with other boats.

Not my thing but some like it kinda like going to out for brunch in town:)

Frank_NK28
12-13-2022, 08:17 AM
That what people do that are rich ,go to fly in lakes ,the rest of us want to enjoy catching and eating fish. Same as hunting it's about the experience/culture and putting food on the table.Not egos.

It's cheaper to buy fish to eat than catch it yourself so if you're fishing just to fill the freezer you might as well put the $ you invest in gear, travel etc into just buying fish at the store. You'll put a lot more on the table for a lot less $.