PDA

View Full Version : RAIN - To fish or not to fish?

Fishfinder
09-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Wondering. From shore. Rivers. When and how do u prefer to fish when the skys start weeping. Set aside time of day and wind, when the rain starts trickling....do u prefer to fish b4, during, or after a rainfall? Hit up the SSR around 230 yesterday, managed 3 eyes in 2 hrs, one being roughly 6 #s, my personal best. Fished right after rainfall, seemed the bite was on. Curious as to what others do when the clouds come? Cheers all. Happy fishn:)

DarkAisling
09-21-2009, 02:08 PM
It it's a light rain, I'll fish through it. I don't fish in torrential downpours.

The other half insists that the bit is better, and more fish surface, during the rain as it looks like bugs landing on the water's surface. I haven't seen anything to corroborate that, though.

Chris84
09-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Rain or shine I'll fish through it all. The only thing that can be hard to fish is windy conditions. This year I think I've had to fish through more rainy/cloudy days than not. It seems that if it isn't rainy or cloudy its stupid hot or windy.

WayneChristie
09-21-2009, 04:31 PM
I find the bite for pike as good or better during the rain, only thing that keeps me off the water is the wind. I have a rain suit but Im allergic to drowning :)

flygirrl
09-21-2009, 04:46 PM
I dont mind fishing in the rain. I find the bite is better almost in a heavy downpour and just after. Of course the downpour has to be the warm kind. hate the wind, it drives me nuts ( short Drive ). All that being said I'll fish in any weather except a lightning storm, not that crazy yet.

Beazer
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
I love fishing in a light rain better than anything else.
Just gotta be careful you don't slip and fall off the dock is all.;)

Chris84
09-21-2009, 05:04 PM
I find the bite for pike as good or better during the rain, only thing that keeps me off the water is the wind. I have a rain suit but Im allergic to drowning :)

Well said, my thoughts exactly

dryflyguy
09-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Since I took up fly fishing 6 years ago, I've found that some of the most productive days I've had have been during a steady drizzle, not quite rain, but enough to soak me. Not sure what the reason is but it seems to be more relaxing and peaceful too. I welcome the rain and sometimes look forward to it, especially if I go out on my own, to get the "one with nature" feeling that it seems to bring out.

Fishfinder
09-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Good posts. Thanx all. I will take the rain over the wind any day of the week. Agreed, a light drizzle is perfect for fishing - B4, during, and after. Fish On!

jeprli
09-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I find the bite is most intense prior to incoming storm or bad weather(including rain), it seems that smaller fish get affected by drop in atmospheric pressure and therefore get lethargic(lack of oxygen?), larger predatory fish is not affected by this(unless it's constant low pressure for days) and they use it as an advantage to start a feeding frenzy...