PDA

View Full Version : Skandic Maiden Voyage

58thecat
12-11-2022, 04:49 PM
Well we got the skidoo out towing two sleds for its maiden voyage.
Trial and error but we think we got a system in place now.
Caught a lot of small pike and lost too many to count but had a blast as our aqua-vu kept us entertained.
Great day to be out on the ice. Solid 12 inches of ice on Ethel lake now.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221211/f9583353f4b57586b1db3b850b6cc7ea.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221211/83f85dd5e64372915012f1750af0dd50.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221211/685a5932bade7ddbf757e3c22639fba1.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221211/e2ddc09c9e70f7a4c689d31847484656.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221211/4aa093af29aaa635e9ef897aa909e199.jpg
Gotta have something to do until Cold Lake freezes over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbertanGP
12-11-2022, 04:54 PM
Awesome. I'm still slowly rigging my Expeditions. The wife says they have to be ready to go at Christmas when the kids come home, so I better get on it. :scared0018:

RACKER
12-11-2022, 09:20 PM
Thats a great looking machine.I hope it performs flawlessly for you guys for years to come!You will be riding in style on Cold Lake now.Best of luck in all your next adventures with the new sled.

curtz
12-11-2022, 09:39 PM
Nice set up, enjoy your ice fishing season.

outofbounds
12-12-2022, 12:29 AM
Word of advice for new your new sled.
When you can, cover your sled from road grime on the trailer.
Grounding has been an issue with some sleds, the road grime and spray will lead to issues on connections, and speed up oxidation under the hood.

Had many fellas bring their sleds in to the shop for gremlins with issues related, most guys said only trailered a few miles from the house. A cover or gaurd on your trailer will be money well spent versus time in the shop instead of on the lake.
Tight lines!!

58thecat
12-12-2022, 06:02 AM
Word of advice for new your new sled.
When you can, cover your sled from road grime on the trailer.
Grounding has been an issue with some sleds, the road grime and spray will lead to issues on connections, and speed up oxidation under the hood.

Had many fellas bring their sleds in to the shop for gremlins with issues related, most guys said only trailered a few miles from the house. A cover or gaurd on your trailer will be money well spent versus time in the shop instead of on the lake.
Tight lines!!

Never really thought about that for short runs, I do have the the skidoo cover for it so from here on in I will be using it, thanks for the advice.

WayneChristie
12-12-2022, 11:42 AM
you know such an awesome rig only makes the winter fly by that much faster, just one of the reasons I love ice fishing! :sHa_shakeshout: should make for a great season!

Poppa
12-12-2022, 02:11 PM
I really like those Skandic's...they seem like good workhorse sleds perfect for ice fishing. The wife and I want to get a 2-up 'horse sled for hauling all our **** around at some point, and I think that'll be the option. Thanks for the pics...sorry about the slough snakes!

Stinky Buffalo
12-12-2022, 03:11 PM
Nice set up! Looks like a ton of fun.

Outbound
12-12-2022, 03:38 PM
Nice rig! Is that a 12 foot trailer?

58thecat
12-12-2022, 03:44 PM
Nice rig! Is that a 12 foot trailer?

8 feet wide and 10 feet long, loading ramp stores underneath and the two sides can be used as ramps if you want to load from the side.

58thecat
12-12-2022, 03:47 PM
I really like those Skandic's...they seem like good workhorse sleds perfect for ice fishing. The wife and I want to get a 2-up 'horse sled for hauling all our **** around at some point, and I think that'll be the option. Thanks for the pics...sorry about the slough snakes!

Ya those little gators keep you busy, the 6 inch smelts were the fav for them on the dead stick, a few feet off the bottom and they would cruise through, if not hitting our lures the outside bells would soon sound.
Was a blast!

Poppa
12-12-2022, 05:09 PM
Ya those little gators keep you busy, the 6 inch smelts were the fav for them on the dead stick, a few feet off the bottom and they would cruise through, if not hitting our lures the outside bells would soon sound.
Was a blast!

We do our best to avoid pike at all costs, and anything less than 40" is what we call a "Minus 1" on the board for a day of fishing. Walleye or nothin', fam!

58thecat
12-12-2022, 05:53 PM
We do our best to avoid pike at all costs, and anything less than 40" is what we call a "Minus 1" on the board for a day of fishing. Walleye or nothin', fam!

We just like catching, beats fishing but fishing beats working.
[emoji4]

Outbound
12-13-2022, 11:49 AM
8 feet wide and 10 feet long, loading ramp stores underneath and the two sides can be used as ramps if you want to load from the side.

Neat! Somebody told me that 12 feet was the minimum to haul a sled. That seemed wrong. LOL

mlee
12-13-2022, 12:58 PM
Neat! Somebody told me that 12 feet was the minimum to haul a sled. That seemed wrong. LOL

How many sleds do you see in the box of a pickup? Lol never heard of a 12ft truck box.
I haul mine on a similar 8x6' utility type trailer.

lmtada
12-13-2022, 02:25 PM
Nice Skandic. Is this the SWT (24” wide track) or 20” wide track. Looks like 900 ace. Decent motor (90hp). Good on fuel, quiet (compared to two stroke). Hand warmers can be super hot (blisters from the hot grips), need to hold the temp control down for couple seconds. They are nice sled. Congrats. 👍

Outbound
12-13-2022, 03:18 PM
How many sleds do you see in the box of a pickup? Lol never heard of a 12ft truck box.
I haul mine on a similar 8x6' utility type trailer.

Pretty much what I said. He said "they all hang out the bed of the truck!". I smiled and nodded. It wasn't worth arguing about. :fighting0074:

Georgias daddy
12-13-2022, 04:00 PM
Nice machine! I seen one at riverside could not believe how wide that track is on it! Lots of floatation for those back country lakes.

58thecat
12-13-2022, 07:41 PM
Nice machine! I seen one at riverside could not believe how wide that track is on it! Lots of floatation for those back country lakes.

24” track and today twice I got I to some over flow, thick deep slush, once I felt the arse start to sink/sag I pinned it and for 30 yards or so she was shooting slush and skipping across the surface.... nice to have that extra width and that 900 ace performs well too.

EZM
12-19-2022, 07:12 PM
Perfect set up for ice fishing. I have never thought about a sled before, as it seems to me, they are great for the first month of ice and maybe the last (when your truck is too heavy or unsafe) but for the few trips I make during this sketchy ice period, I walk on.

Also need a place to store it (and the trailer) ... which is tough in the city when you are already storing a boat and other stuff all winter.

Most of the season we drive on .... but when I finally retire and can spend more time fishing, I think it's the way to go for sure.

Sure is a nice thing to have.

Nice ride !!! Enjoy it.

58thecat
12-19-2022, 08:12 PM
Perfect set up for ice fishing. I have never thought about a sled before, as it seems to me, they are great for the first month of ice and maybe the last (when your truck is too heavy or unsafe) but for the few trips I make during this sketchy ice period, I walk on.

Also need a place to store it (and the trailer) ... which is tough in the city when you are already storing a boat and other stuff all winter.

Most of the season we drive on .... but when I finally retire and can spend more time fishing, I think it's the way to go for sure.

Sure is a nice thing to have.

Nice ride !!! Enjoy it.

Yeah i hear ya on most times getting out but game changer was last year, two feet of snow, rain, freeze, another foot of snow, freeze then warm up and toss in the high winds and drifts which was last year in a nut shell around here.
March rolled around and by noon your truck would sink a foot so it cut your day short and being 5 plus clicks from the launch area had ya puckering if you would make it off the ice....quads getting stuck was bad enough but that dam truck was a pain to get out and if it wasn’t for a nice fella once well the truck was going to be fish structure come spring:)
This machine at least gives us a fighting chance but like anything has its limits too plus we would like to explore big northern Manitoba lakes like Athapap etc.