PDA

View Full Version : Tips/Advice on fishing raised flats or pools for perch

Jgoerzen
12-13-2022, 08:48 AM
Hi, I am sure this has been covered previously so I apologize before hand. I am looking for tips to help me learn to better scout lakes. I have heard conflicting info on targeting perch in winter. When scouting lakes, should I be searching raised flats or should I look for medium depth pools near a food source? How far away from a food source is too far away? I have heard look for structure to fish, but a lot of the lakes have very limited structure. Also, how shallow is too shallow? Is 7 foot flat in a 25 foot depth lake too shallow? What would the minimum drop the side of a flat be? Is 4 feet enough or does it need to be a greater drop? I have found perch in some of the lakes I am scouting but am not sure if i am just finding them by luck or not. I would like to learn how to better find them so I can take my 6 and 8 year old out and instill a love for fishing in them with good memories and not make them start of with bad memories of me pulling them all over the lake due to my lack of knowledge. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

58thecat
12-13-2022, 09:16 AM
We find them in 3 to 20 fow depending on the lake and type of structure.
Ya gotta just get out there and drill holes, experiment on depth and types of presentations....not all lakes are the same.

If your marking fish hang out and see what they want and are or like we did this year we bought an aqua-vu underwater camera and we see first hand what's happening.

Good luck.

Curtsyneil
12-13-2022, 09:28 AM
If your fishing for perch your goin to be mobile and drilling lots of holes to stay on the school. So yes you will be dragging your kids all over the lake. Not the best fish to chase with kids in winter but summer they will love it. In the winter it seems like there’s shallow perch and deep perch. I’ve seen one lake where they like 6-14 fow. In another lake 25-30ft off a drop also it was a big drop 8-30 ft in a hurry. So you will find them in both depths. A camera is a must to locate shallow water perch you can see them swimming around no problem. In deep water your goin to rely on electronics and good ole hard work. Mostly you will be in the basin of a lake when fishing deep water. Usually mud bottom and they will be feeding on blood worms and shrimp. I’ve found it harder to find deep water schools but usually you get a few loan wolfs that will be worth it. I’m no expert on this either it’s just what I have learned chasing them a few winters. Good luck

Jgoerzen
12-13-2022, 10:07 AM
I usually drill holes going out from the shore along weed beds and jump holes and find them late ice season in February/March, but only see a few here and there early and mid season. Wasn't sure if they move deeper and to other spots during the early/mid winter season. Was hoping if they moved to certain areas I could study a bathymetric map before going.