PDA

View Full Version : kayak fishing tournament Alberta

YakfishCanada
09-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi y'all
I am hoping to get some assistance. Currently we are in the process of co-ordinating dates for the Great Canadian Yakfish Tournament Series for 2010.
Kayak fishing is growing in leaps and bounds around the world, and we believe by holding /co-sponsoring/participating in events across Canada, that we can do much to help grow the sport in this country.
So, what we would like to do at least in one maybe two spots in Alberta is to establish a small kayak fishing division in an existing tournament, preferrably at the beginning of the season, and preferably in an area that would not require us to travel great distances across the water, at the speed of sound, in 10 foot waves, to get to the fish; should the weather not be co-operative.
Even a a family type tournament would be a great way for us to introduce newcomers/kids to the sport and to bring the small but growing group of local kayak fishermen together. I should also mention that we are willing to provide sponsorship support and will even provide extra kayaks for any of you guys/gals that think you would like to try the sport. So, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would apprecate your input. As we are doing this across the country, our ability to confirm dates and participaton early is important from a conflict perspective.
Oh, and for any doubting Thomas's out there.....check out the front page of our web site and you will see that kayak fishermen just beat out the power boaters in a recent U.S. Salmon Derby.

Thanks & best regards
Wayne

jrcw
09-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Great idea. Canoes and kayaks are under-appreciated fish-catching machines. I can't make any tourney suggestions because up North in my area the lakes are mostly big and not very paddle-friendly. Good luck getting something set up!

WayneChristie
09-23-2009, 07:30 AM
sounds interesting, I fish from a canoe and would like to try a kayak too if there was an opportunity.

Sundancefisher
09-23-2009, 08:19 AM
sounds interesting, I fish from a canoe and would like to try a kayak too if there was an opportunity.

Sounds cool. I just started fishing from a cheap kayak and find it loads of fun!

I will watch the progress with optimism!

silver_fox
09-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I tried kayak fishing last summer, a total blast. Now I'm thinking that over the winter I will outfit a yak with all the good stuff. By searching google you can see all sorts of great ideas others have used to set up the perfect fishing kayak. Oh, and I don't mind paddling but I will definately be installing an electric trolling motor!

2big4u
09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
There are a few of us around fishing from tupperware. Lots of fun, and access to some great water that other boats just can't get to. looking forward to how this turns out.

YakfishCanada
09-23-2009, 01:29 PM
This is sounding promising. Now we just have to find a place to do it or an existing event to tie into. I will do some research this weekend, but any and all suggestions are welcome.

One member pointed out to me the rather strict regulations on tournament hosting in Alberta. I went through the regs quickly this morning and if I am reading them correctly, things become much simpler if we keep it light - not refer to it as a tournament but -a fishing event ( maybe family day). It appears as long as we are not awarding prizes for largest or most fish caught etc., and perhaps have a draw where all participants regardless of what they catch have an opportunity to win something (thus taking the competition part out of things), that we avoid a lot of the red tape, but I will go through the regs again to make sure.

Maybe there is a member with a lodge or campground on this forum that would like to become involved?

jrcw
09-23-2009, 07:15 PM
If you want to do it right I would recommened talking to your local Fish and Wildlife fisheries biologist. You can find thier telephone number here: http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlife/contacts.aspx. If you're having any sort of tournament you will need to get a 'competitive fishing event licence'. I've been involved with them before and it's really not that complicated. Just give them a call and they'll help you through it. They might be able to suggest some ways to get your event going too.

WayneChristie
09-23-2009, 09:27 PM
if I can make it I would definitely be interested. probably be in the spring now Im thinking? be something to look forward to over the winter for sure. My Bro has a sit on kayak, low tech I know, but he managed to hook a big pike a month or so ago, had problems unhooking it, he ended up getting some people on the shore to get it off for him :D Did sound like a lot of fun, I know how much fun a big fish is from a canoe too. Id put my vote in for pike, they are easy to catch and theres always a good chance of getting something big.

Fishfinder
09-23-2009, 09:57 PM
If you want to do it right I would recommened talking to your local Fish and Wildlife fisheries biologist. You can find thier telephone number here: http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlife/contacts.aspx. If you're having any sort of tournament you will need to get a 'competitive fishing event licence'. I've been involved with them before and it's really not that complicated. Just give them a call and they'll help you through it. They might be able to suggest some ways to get your event going too.

Bah. Jus pick some friends and fish by regs. Organize it urself.

tjcartmell
09-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I have been kayak fishing in all most regions of Alberta for the past three years. I have some good ideas for locations but I'm not sure about joining up with an existing tournamant. PM me if you would like some more details.

Tim (Kayakman on CKA)

WayneChristie
09-26-2009, 05:14 PM
I know a great little reservoir in Southeastern Alberta, rarely any other boats, fairly sheltered, and a LOT of pike. Campground less than 10 minutes away, might be an option.

Cal
09-26-2009, 05:39 PM
I have been kayak fishing in all most regions of Alberta for the past three years. I have some good ideas for locations but I'm not sure about joining up with an existing tournamant. PM me if you would like some more details.

Tim (Kayakman on CKA)

I gotta say that a kayak tournament has to be the BEST idea I've heard on this board. A fishing derby where a couple hundred bucks worth of gear would put you on a level playing field with every other competetor would be AWESOME!! The limited amount of gear that you can take in a kayak would make it way more interesting than watching the rich guys and their big toys go at it.

I agree with the post I qoted that it should be a kayaks only tourny rather than joining with an existing tournament. I also think it should be done without the help of of electric trolling motors and fish finders in order to protect the concept I stated before, that for under five hundred bucks anyone could get involved and be competative. Just one concern that I can think of....

Because there are no livewells on kayaks making it a C&R tournament would be impossible. Biggest fish would probably have the least impact rather than total poundage but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has a good idea? Maby if at the beginning of the derby each contestant was given a disposable camera and a large measuring tape sticker that you stuck on your kayak to photograph fish against it would be possible to do C&R.

WayneChristie
09-26-2009, 07:06 PM
I gotta say that a kayak tournament has to be the BEST idea I've heard on this board. A fishing derby where a couple hundred bucks worth of gear would put you on a level playing field with every other competetor would be AWESOME!! The limited amount of gear that you can take in a kayak would make it way more interesting than watching the rich guys and their big toys go at it.

I agree with the post I qoted that it should be a kayaks only tourny rather than joining with an existing tournament. I also think it should be done without the help of of electric trolling motors and fish finders in order to protect the concept I stated before, that for under five hundred bucks anyone could get involved and be competative. Just one concern that I can think of....

Because there are no livewells on kayaks making it a C&R tournament would be impossible. Biggest fish would probably have the least impact rather than total poundage but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has a good idea? Maby if at the beginning of the derby each contestant was given a disposable camera and a large measuring tape sticker that you stuck on your kayak to photograph fish against it would be possible to do C&R.

if its a for fun tourney. why not just photographic evidence, thats how I usually keep track, if its just for fun and not for a million bucks a pic would be fine, if it comes down to a judgement call have a vote from all the participants. Keep it fun, makes it more interesting and FUN!!!! whole idea would be to get more people into Yak fishing right? JMO and Id love to get towed around by a big fish, beats towing around a big fish with an expensive boat doesnt it?

Duramaximos
09-26-2009, 08:03 PM

I've landed 3 15+ lb pike this year from my kayak. It's just not possible to snap a picture next to a tape measure. Sorry but they are brutes to handle and still manage your yak and rod.

Perhaps the competitors could fish in pairs. The pairs would need to stay in close proximity and help each other out - landing, picture taking, etc.
Pairs could be drawn randomly to avoid any cheating.

Great idea, by the way. I'm in for sure!

Cal
09-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Ok well how do we get this thing rolling?

Duramaximos
09-27-2009, 10:10 AM
if I can make it I would definitely be interested. probably be in the spring now Im thinking? be something to look forward to over the winter for sure. My Bro has a sit on kayak, low tech I know, but he managed to hook a big pike a month or so ago, had problems unhooking it, he ended up getting some people on the shore to get it off for him :D Did sound like a lot of fun, I know how much fun a big fish is from a canoe too. Id put my vote in for pike, they are easy to catch and theres always a good chance of getting something big.

I like the idea of a pike tourney as well. The fishing could be awesome as soon as ice is out. Since the big hens are in the shallows at that time, it would be ideal for stealthy kayaks to invade the hard to get to spots that a larger boat couldn't access.

I'm getting pumped just thinking about it.
Badger lake comes to mind...there are some hogs in there. It is small enough to exploit with a kayak and large enough to keep a couple dozen kayaks fishing in different areas without bumping into one another.

WayneChristie
09-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Im less than an hour from Badger, works for me :)

YakfishCanada
09-29-2009, 10:20 AM
I like the idea of a pike tourney as well. The fishing could be awesome as soon as ice is out. Since the big hens are in the shallows at that time, it would be ideal for stealthy kayaks to invade the hard to get to spots that a larger boat couldn't access.

I'm getting pumped just thinking about it.
Badger lake comes to mind...there are some hogs in there. It is small enough to exploit with a kayak and large enough to keep a couple dozen kayaks fishing in different areas without bumping into one another.

Sorry for delay in getting back. I will check out Badger Lake. When is it safe to assume that ice is out in the area and when does pike open in Alberta? I like the idea of an early spring tournament and a lake where we cannot get killed by weather. One consideration is the number of kayak fishermen willing to participate who have proper outerwear for cold water/weather conditions.

Any input on whether it should be a weekend or one day event? Is there accommodation around Badger Lake for out-of-towners? Suggestions on a charity/registration fee? Can we get local sponsor support?

jrcw
09-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Good idea with making it a pike tourney. Spring would be good with them being in shallow. How about including canoes? I'd say kayaks have the edge, but some people (such as myself) are old-school and still paddle canoes. I also like the idea of no electronics. I think the level-playing field approach emphasizing skill is a great selling feature.

WayneChristie
09-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Good idea with making it a pike tourney. Spring would be good with them being in shallow. How about including canoes? I'd say kayaks have the edge, but some people (such as myself) are old-school and still paddle canoes. I also like the idea of no electronics. I think the level-playing field approach emphasizing skill is a great selling feature.

X2 for me.

YakfishCanada
09-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I tried kayak fishing last summer, a total blast. Now I'm thinking that over the winter I will outfit a yak with all the good stuff. By searching google you can see all sorts of great ideas others have used to set up the perfect fishing kayak. Oh, and I don't mind paddling but I will definately be installing an electric trolling motor!

If you want to help us out a bit locally with organizing this event, I am sure we can cut you an amazing deal on that kayak you are after, complete with motor and all of the bells and whistles. I will PM you.

YakfishCanada
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
We are moving ahead with this. Have written to Lions Club to see if they would be interested in becoming involved. Also have set-up a pre-registration spot on our web site, so that we can get a gauge on the level of interest/participation. If you are interested in participating, would appreciate your adding your name, as this will assist in a number of areas in regards to everything from negotiating accomodation, to getting local sponsors etc.
Link to tournament registration is
http://www.yakfishcanada.com/great-canadian-yakfish-tournament-a-event-series/details/7-badger-lake-fishn-paddle-weekend ( Requires registration on site to avoid spammers)

Also, comments, suggestions can be posted and are most welcome.

dollfin
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
:) WOOT WOOT! I am so excited, this will be my first fishing tourney ever! Kudos for all your work setting this up! Looking forward to this event rain or shine or snow:lol:

YakfishCanada
11-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Since last post have received a few PM's and e-mails suggesting that Badger Lake may not be the best choice for a kayak fishing tournament. One suggestion was Lees Lake in Crossnest Pass, and there were a few others which I don't have with me right now. Maybe if we can get a few more selections up here, we can start to narrow this down to a final selection. Also,since I am in Ontario, it would be really helpful if we could get a local fishermen to help out with organization on that end. Anyone willing to get involved a bit with this, please e-mail me and let me know a good time for us to talk.
Thanks
Wayne

YakfishCanada
11-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Crawling Valley Reservoir or MacGregor Reservoir are two other suggestions I received from Tim on another forum. Thoughts?

dollfin
11-04-2009, 09:43 AM
I think Badger is still best because of its size and the size of pike (avg.10-15pounders):), McGregor is pretty large. Just my thoughts:) We have kayaked McGregor but much perfer Badger.

chili
11-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Lees lake is too small for a fish tourney.

Duramaximos
11-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Of all the lakes mentioned so far, I still think Badger is the best choice - but my experience is limited.
I'd like to see some of the supporters of the other lakes chime in with their opinions.

Thanks.

bsnyder
11-08-2009, 08:06 AM
:wave:try looking up beaver lake , laclabiche. Good fishing and access and lots of bays to hide in. Just a thought :D

tjcartmell
11-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I have never been to Badger so I can't speak for or against it. Is this going to be a 1, 2 or 3 day event? What are the rules going to be with regards to lake access? Most kayak anglers drive to the best put in point for the day depending on wind and waves. I suggested Macgregor because of the multiple access points. The west shore north of the bridge is almost always protected and offers consistent fishing for walleye and pike. It is a reasonably large chunk of water with space for many kayaks.

I love the idea of heading to the Lac La Biche area but the 6 hour drive from Calgary may put some guys off. I usually head up that way once per summer for 5 to 7 days. The lakes in Lakeland Provincial Park and area are perfect for Kayak fishing.

Having been involved in hosting walleye tournaments in southern Alberta back in the 90's you never know what sort of weather to expect. I always kept a full set of winter gear in the truck just in case. I remember a tourney at Crawling Valley in June when we had to cancel on Day 2 due to the wind which prevented launching and blew all our tents down. On the other hand the weather could be hot and calm. You just never know. The difference with kayak fishing is the safety of the competitors related to size of the boats and waves and the physical limits of paddling into a head wind.

I'm not trying to be negative here. I just think the guys at Yakfish should know what they might be dealing with before coming all this way to host a tournament.

Tim