PDA

View Full Version : Reel Oil

jrcw
09-22-2009, 11:18 PM
I want to protect and prolong the performance of my reels. I`m wondering what everyone recommends for a reel oil brand, how often to use it, and how. Where I could get some would be helpful too. Thanks!

RedHeadedFisherman
09-22-2009, 11:56 PM
I want to protect and prolong the performance of my reels. I`m wondering what everyone recommends for a reel oil brand, how often to use it, and how. Where I could get some would be helpful too. Thanks!

I use Quantum® Hot Sauce™ Reel Oil /Greese
can get it at WSS Bass Pro The Fishing hole ectr below $12.00

jrcw
09-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the tip. I've heard of that stuff before. What parts of the reel are you putting it on? Crank, drag, gears, I'm assuming? I'm guessing a bottle lasts a while since you wouldn't need much.

RedHeadedFisherman
09-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the tip. I've heard of that stuff before. What parts of the reel are you putting it on? Crank, drag, gears, I'm assuming? I'm guessing a bottle lasts a while since you wouldn't need much.

i put a dabof greese on all of the parts that move.. even the spindle.. and oil on all AFTER a GOOD cleaning with i stif toothbrush.

RHD

CLIPHunter
09-24-2009, 10:03 AM
i use paintball gun oil....it seems to work wonders smooth longlasting....and oil my reals once a year...

Paul C
09-24-2009, 02:22 PM

I have used a very small amount of copper kote mixed with white grease and small amount of varsol (mineral spirits). Copper kote will attach to the pores of the metal and it can only be removed with acetone. This provides permanet lubrication.
Cheers:D

The Fish King
09-24-2009, 02:50 PM
i use 3 in 1 engine oil lube. Works excellent!

Waxy
09-24-2009, 03:18 PM
You can get fishing reel specific oils at The Fishin' Hole, WSS, etc..., I'd stick to those. A $15 bottle will pretty much last a lifetime.

Periodic maintenance is a great idea, buy don't overdo the oil, you only need a very light coating, especially with today's very tight tolerances in the reels. Too much oil just gums them up and attracts dirt/dust which actually hinders performance.

Waxy