PDA

View Full Version : Bottlecap Lures

DarkAisling
09-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Any thoughts on bottlecap lures? Are they a gimmick, or will fishies actually go for them?

If you do have some that work, is there split shot in them to make a rattling sound or not?

sheephunter
09-23-2009, 03:29 PM
No doubt you could catch fish on them, as you can just about any lure but are they magic....lol....nope.

Rob Miskosky
09-23-2009, 03:32 PM
They are garbage and the company is suspect at best.

kodiakken
09-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Never tried bottle caps but have made hooks out of quarters and toonies and they work like anything else on jacks.

Ken.

Fishfinder
09-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Never tried bottle caps but have made hooks out of quarters and toonies and they work like anything else on jacks.

Ken.

What? Never heard of that. Do tell. What exactly do you do? How do u make them? Is it not harmful to the fish if swallowed. Curious:huh:

jusfloatin
09-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Bottle cap lures have been around for a long time but I believe the problem with them is they are next to free to make.
It doesn't appeal to the fisherman like the mass produced one's do.

They say a fish will either bit a lure because it is hungry or it is annoyed with the lure. 50/50 chance that bottle cap lures would fit into one of those catagories.:wave:

DarkAisling
09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
They are garbage and the company is suspect at best.

I did some digging online, and the "Bottle Cap Lure Company" is a little fishy (pardon the pun). He claims he's got a patent for it (not just patent pending), but wherever he spouts off about infringement he never mentions a patent number. I have a hard time believing he'd get a patent approved, as these things have been around for years.

Anyhoo . . . hubby came home with a 12 pack of Corona. I thought I might put a few lures together and try them out. I figure they'd be great for the kids to use, as they're pretty inexpensive to make (unless you factor in the price of the beer, which I'm not).

Basically, you fold a bottle cap in half (leave it about 1/8" open). Put split shot inside it if you want it to rattle. Drill two holes along the fold: one at the top and one at the bottom. Put a split ring through each hole. Attach a hook using one of them, and tie the lure to your line with the other. You can stuff Powerbait inside it too.

sheephunter
09-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Ya, he's a weird duck. Saw him one year at the Edmonton Sportsmen Show and he had some bizzare cat's eye contacts in. I didn't know he was even still in business. He burned quite a few bridges and left some bills unpaid!

honda450
09-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Patent pending.:wave::lol::lol:

DarkAisling
09-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Ya, he's a weird duck. Saw him one year at the Edmonton Sportsmen Show and he had some bizarre cat's eye contacts in. I didn't know he was even still in business. He burned quite a few bridges and left some bills unpaid!

And the Edmonton Sportsmen Show was held in a nightclub, maybe? The contacts are a little odd, but I won't judge someone too harshly for being eccentric. :lol:

It's weird, on his website he lists a number of different addresses for his business. Must be some of the unpaid bills.

Patent pending.:wave::lol::lol:

:lol: I want one of those :D

Rob Miskosky
09-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Believe me, he doesn't pay his bills. I learned the hard way. Even after courts ruling in my favour the little puke still never coughed up any cash, and the amount was considerable. Not just his Bottle Cap crap, but Call of the Wild Adventure Tours as well. Stay far away from this crook!

Fishfinder
09-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Believe me, he doesn't pay his bills. I learned the hard way. Even after courts ruling in my favour the little puke still never coughed up any cash, and the amount was considerable. Not just his Bottle Cap crap, but Call of the Wild Adventure Tours as well. Stay far away from this crook!

Noted. will do. Thanx for the heads up:)

spopadyn
09-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Rob - pretty dangerous post . My advice - you might get be involved in defamation here. Be carefule - be aware be scared. We are watching you.

PS Just kidding but why did you kill my dynamite thread - it was fun and cool...

Rob Miskosky
09-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Wasn't me, you'll have to talk to Lilsundance.

And he can sue away, it will bring the money he owes us back to the forefront, including legal costs. We're game anytime he is.

DarkAisling
09-23-2009, 07:25 PM

That stinks . . . no two ways about it. It is a shame, as who doesn't want to support an Alberta business? What a lot of people don't realize when they pursue something like this in court is that being awarded funds is very different from actually being able to collect funds.

I Googled "Miskosky vs. Price" hoping to turn up the court docs so I could post a link, but I couldn't turn up anything. Perhaps it was under company names?

When I Google "bottle cap lures" this thread is the eighth return I get, so hopefully people will check it out and be forewarned.

The more I dig through his website, the more shady stuff I turn up. I'm not going to reveal what I consider "shady," as that would just give him the opportunity to change it.

As for his patent . . . anyone can apply for a patent. A tremendous amount of research goes into approving a patent (have two friends who tried and failed to get patents on baby carriers), so I'm quite sure he hasn't been able to attain one.

I'm stepping away from the keyboard now. Too much Corona :lol: At least I'll be able to make up a dozen of these lures tomorrow to play with. Maybe I should sell 'em on Ebay for $0.50 a piece as a novelty and really **** Mr. Price, the upstanding Christian gentleman, off. :evilgrin:

Albertadiver
09-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Just checked out his site. It's easily apparant the guy is a whackjob. But hey, for $300.00 Canadian, you too can have a crappy website just like his, and he'll build it for you!

Albertadiver
09-23-2009, 07:37 PM
PS Just kidding but why did you kill my dynamite thread - it was fun and cool...

It's ok, I was asked to take my pics of BBJ in his camo thong off the forum too.... But that was for the greater good of humanity! I bore no hard feelin's :lol:

Sandalius
09-23-2009, 08:31 PM
It's ok, I was asked to take my pics of BBJ in his camo thong off the forum too.... But that was for the greater good of humanity!

Diver you should be so thankful you only have pics - some of us got to see it live up close and almost personal.:lol:
As some will agree ( Wayne ) that memory will not go away anytime soon.
( Sorry John just given you the gears again .... but you did make quite an impression on all of us at the gathering :D)

Drano
09-25-2009, 01:39 AM
BBJ could just turn the other cheek.:wave::wave: