PDA

View Full Version : And then there was ice...

Fishfinder
09-23-2009, 04:38 PM
K, been fishing for 4 yrs now and am hoping to finally try my luck at ice fishing (never done) so my question's are: Basic gear for a beginner - what do y'all recommend? I don't want to spend a fortune just yet in case I decide it's just not my thing. Auger sizes, rods to use, tips for rookies? Will likely be only fishing small lakes around Med. Hat. I realize there are likely previous posts about the subject but nevertheless, I like my information fresh....like my fish:lol: Happy huntin all:)

Wulfespirit
09-23-2009, 04:56 PM
No idea what's in the waters around Med. Hat - what're you going to fish for?

Pick yourself up some warm clothes, an 8 inch hand auger, and a couple of ice-fishing mini spinning reels. Spool it with line suited to the prey around there.

If you're going to get more serious about it, a 1-4 man tent and small heater would be a good next step.

Then of course there's power augers and tip ups.

Fishfinder
09-23-2009, 05:14 PM
No idea what's in the waters around Med. Hat - what're you going to fish for?

Pick yourself up some warm clothes, an 8 inch hand auger, and a couple of ice-fishing mini spinning reels. Spool it with line suited to the prey around there.

If you're going to get more serious about it, a 1-4 man tent and small heater would be a good next step.

Then of course there's power augers and tip ups.

Pike n Rainbows for the most part will be on the menu. Likely fish bows outta Bullshead, Pike outta Rattlesnake, n Walleye/Pike outta Newell ( assumming the regs permit it - haven't checked yet). Thanx for the tips Wulf:)

Wulfespirit
09-23-2009, 05:34 PM
Alright.. grab some tip-ups for the pike. There are varying presentations using a treble(s) or a jig but you want to put a smelt or herring in front of their noses. Sometimes big herrings are better, sometimes the smelts will be better. If there are big pike around, use 20lb or stronger braided line. If you want to jig for them, you can do that too.. a big flashy jigging spoon, a big swimming rap, or a jig/smelt can all do the job.

Rainbows tend to like having something like a mitzi ditzi or a small jig baited with maggot/worms/cheese/powerbait/shrimp/whatever twitched in front of them. For this you'll want to use one of your little spincast rods and light (4-6lb) line.

If you find yourself liking your time ice-fishing, you might want to consider an underwater cam or flasher. Either will improve your catch rate.

rustynailz
09-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Likely fish bows outta Bullshead

Not between Nov 1 and Mar 31 I hope.

Get yourself some tipups, read up on bait rigging, and get out pike fishing.

Fishfinder
09-23-2009, 05:49 PM
For sure, I would never fish outside the regs. Why such heavy line for the pikes Wulf? 20 #s seems a bit much. Is this bcuz of water/weather temps, or does ur line rub against the sides of ur holes er what? Little confused - jus seems excessive. Cheers.

Wulfespirit
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Thick lines are from experience. Landing a big pike through the ice is more difficult than in open water. Line rubbing against the holes is one factor, the cold, and not being able to use a net makes a snap off alot more likely. I've managed to have 25 and 30lb mono break on me a few times over the years.

20lb braid isn't that thick but its strong enough to usually get the job done.

If you feel you might be getting into 15-20lb pike, you might even want to go thicker.

If you're in a lake full of little hammer handles.. well.. you'll probably get away with thinner.

Geezle
09-23-2009, 10:19 PM
When I asked about ice fishing gear, this is the short version of what I was told.

You'll most likely want two rods. One light/ultralight rod with light (4lb-ish) line for smaller fish like perch, then a medium action with heavier line, 10-12lb test for your larger fish like walleye or pike. You'll likely want a pair of tip-ups set up similarly.

Of course you'll need an auger. If you're looking at hand augers, 6" has been suggested to me over 8". They're lighter if you've got to pack it in somewhere, and less effort to get through the thicker ice and should still give you a big enough hole for whatever you'll be catching.

huntsfurfish
09-24-2009, 05:59 AM
And now for the most important items.:)

At least 4" of good ice(you can walk on thinner, but be very careful - actually be careful anyway)

Ice cleats for your boots.

Hand/ice picks to help you get out of the water if needed.

Heaving line. For rescue.

Good luck and good fishing.:wave:

Fishfinder
09-24-2009, 07:15 AM
thanx guys. Never thought about the cleats. Good call Huntsfurfish - cheers. This may be a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it anyway - Is hard water fishn mostly for lakes. Can a person ice fish a river or is it simply to dangerous? Also - is it considered uncourteous to fish a pre dug hole? For sure if a dude/tte walked up to me and told me he/she dug the hole I would move, but will people freak out if I fish a pre dug hole? I have no idea this is why I ask?

PoorTurtle
09-24-2009, 07:31 AM
I would stay off the rivers, beter to be safe than sorry. as for useing others holes, if no one is around then go for it. just look around cause guys like to drill lots of holes and move around.

DarkAisling
09-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Also - is it considered uncourteous to fish a pre dug hole? For sure if a dude/tte walked up to me and told me he/she dug the hole I would move, but will people freak out if I fish a pre dug hole? I have no idea this is why I ask?

From my perspective, I think it would be better to use an existing hole. I'm thinking that the number of holes in ice could get pretty excessive. I don't know if masses of wholes would contribute to a weakening of the ice, but I do suspect that too many holes could become a pain in the rear.

As far as gear . . . I'll be using this 27" Rhino: nine dollar rod (https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3852112&enlargeSkuz=23238&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=072&PAGEAT=2&GOZ=16&C=072&FILTERBYPRICE=AND retailPrice is not null&D=07&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=) as I couldn't pass it up for that price. I'll be using a Sidestab 1000 reel for perch.

Josh IVC
09-24-2009, 09:14 AM
I look forward to hard water because it's a lot easier on the wallet. You don't really need much. For warmth, I use all my old snowboarding gear (esp. the boots), an old little sled to pull around all my gear, and an 8" hand auger. Oh, and somebody usually packs what we've coined a Waller's Lunch (because it seems to be the only thing a drywaller and walleye fisherman can have in common): a couple Blue and a deck of Canadian Classics. ;)