PDA

View Full Version : Good Place to Buy Inflatable Boat around Edmonton?

Skyhoof
09-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Evening all,

I was wondering if anyone knows a reliable place around Edmonton that sells different brands of inflatable boats?

I did a search through the forum on inflatables, and the closest post about it recently was the one made by Beazer around the end of July about options for inflatables. I've checked out the websites that was mentioned in that post and the different type of inflatables as well.

Unfortunately, most of the boats listed there are a bit out of my price range :(. I've just recently gotten into fishing and I'm mainly looking for an inflatable that I can take out on the NSR and maybe a few lakes around Edmonton. I've decided to go with the inflatable since my main source of transportation is a car. So I figure going with an inflatable would be the most convenient way for the moment.

The brand of inflatable I've been looking at is Sevylor. Either their 9"2" or 12" inflatable. Which is from $150-$200 on their site. So that is the brand I'm interested in the most.

If anyone knows a good place in/around Edmonton that carries that brand or know similar brand. That information would be greatly appreciated! Or a reliable site that sells them, maybe in Canada. If anyone has any info regarding the quality and durability of the Sevylor boats, that would be great too!

Thanks in advance for all the input/help! :wave:

Skyhoof

Swansong
09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
SEARS has the following;

Sevylor® 'Fish Hunter' Inflatable Boat

* heavy-duty PVC construction
* inner and outer inflatable hull design
* 6 air chambers
* accommodates motors up to 2.5-hp.
* swivel oarlocks
* 2 extra-large inflatable seats
* gear and battery pouches
* 2 fishing rod holders
* repair kit
* 10" high
* Sevylor® trolling motors sold separately

Our current website price: $349.99

Google Sevylor and you can order online from Sears. Hope this helps!

Izumi
09-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Army and Navy in Londonderry Mall.

The stock might be thinning everywhere on these items with winter around the corner.

Morph1
09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
My advice to you would be to get something with a transom,
at least you can mount an electric motor, look at e-bay, lots of great deals on new boats.

Skyhoof
09-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I just checked out the sears online website. They're selling the 12" for $350...even though it is listed as $210 on the Sevylor site...:confused: not sure how that works but I might just pop by Sears this weekend and see.

Izumi, Londonderry Mall is a little far from where I live, but I might have time to check them out this wekend too!

And Morph1, I believe you can mount a motor on the Sevylor boats as well (at least thats what they say on their website..) I'm not sure how well that works...I'll definitely keep that in mind now, thx for the help!

.millartime.
09-24-2009, 10:58 AM
i just recently bought a super nice poontoon boat from bass pro shop for 110 bucks, i was a little skeptical but it worked awesome! they had about ten different styles all under 200 bucks so if your willing to drive give it a check out! also try kijiji they usually have good deals

Skyhoof
09-24-2009, 11:11 AM
i just recently bought a super nice poontoon boat from bass pro shop for 110 bucks, i was a little skeptical but it worked awesome! they had about ten different styles all under 200 bucks so if your willing to drive give it a check out! also try kijiji they usually have good deals

Hi millartime, thx for the info. I havn't had time to look in detail since I'm at work, but Bass Pro Shop does seem to have a great selection of boats, including some Sevylor boats. Correct me if I'm wrong, but base on their online site, the only store in Alberta is close to Airdrie/north of Calgary?

.millartime.
09-24-2009, 05:35 PM
ya thats correct its just north of calgary in balzac. But if its worth saving the 200-300 bucks. these boats dont have the same quality as the 500 to 600 dollar boats but there a good for a start. just to see if you like the float tube idea because it can be quite challeging at times and we dont want to see you waste 500 bucks!

Skyhoof
09-24-2009, 05:54 PM
ya thats correct its just north of calgary in balzac. But if its worth saving the 200-300 bucks. these boats dont have the same quality as the 500 to 600 dollar boats but there a good for a start. just to see if you like the float tube idea because it can be quite challeging at times and we dont want to see you waste 500 bucks!

Heh I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it all the way down there anytime soon...but I've been reading reviews on there bout some of the products. I might order online from there if I can't make it down.

Which boat did you buy? I tried doing a search on their site but couldn't find it online..unless I'm not searching properly.

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I just bought the Sevylor Super caravelle, 6 man (model XR 116 GT) its 11'6" and will hold up to 1100 lbs. I bought the motor mount for it from Bass Pro, here in Calgary, for $59. The Sevylor sites price is probably US funds and without shipping. The sears price is probably CAD funds.

The pontoon or bellyboat idea is nice and I love mine (bought a U-boat from Bass Pro for $79 at their labour day sale) but the boat is nice cause I can take my wife and dog and fish all day with the motor on it. Can't do that with the pontoon or bellyboat.

The motor I got from Bass Pro at the same sale for $99. I piced up the boat of Kijiji for $150. So for a total of just over $300 I have a great little fishing boat and motor!
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/FIshing%20at%20Chain%20Lakes/PICT5373.jpg

Skyhoof
09-24-2009, 09:07 PM
I just bought the Sevylor Super caravelle, 6 man (model XR 116 GT) its 11'6" and will hold up to 1100 lbs. I bought the motor mount for it from Bass Pro, here in Calgary, for $59. The Sevylor sites price is probably US funds and without shipping. The sears price is probably CAD funds.

The pontoon or bellyboat idea is nice and I love mine (bought a U-boat from Bass Pro for $79 at their labour day sale) but the boat is nice cause I can take my wife and dog and fish all day with the motor on it. Can't do that with the pontoon or bellyboat.

The motor I got from Bass Pro at the same sale for $99. I piced up the boat of Kijiji for $150. So for a total of just over $300 I have a great little fishing boat and motor!
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/FIshing%20at%20Chain%20Lakes/PICT5373.jpg

Thanks for all the info CD! This is the current set-up I've been piecing together from the Bass Pro shop.

Boat:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_37053_225015000_225000000_225015000_225-15-0?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail

Mount:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_37050_225015000_225000000_225015000_225-15-0

Motor:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98206_225001001_225000000_225001000?cmCat= CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

The one thing I'm wondering is how roomly is the boat you have? From the reviews I've read and from the pictures...it seems like Sevylor hugely exaggerate the capacity....Do you think the boat you have can hold 6 people? Comfortablely that is...not just 6 people squished inside a small boat...unable to cast :lol:

I'm tempted to go with the 12" model...just to maybe get some extra room in there. Although I'm also looking at just getting some Oars and just row that thing around....

I guess another question is have u tried to row the boat around the river? Is it difficult with a decent amount of current?

Thanks for all the input!

Cheers :wave:

Skyhoof

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah they DEFINITELY exaggerate. We had 3 in and it was CRAMPED...almost too cramped to fish. With just my wife and I its comfortable. tackle box, thermos, couple rods, life jackets. 3 ppl are okay if you're just boating and not fishing, but no way 6...I shudder to think what their 3 man boat would be like. I'd go for the 12 footer.

Now..rowing around a river...that would be tough. Any inflatable just kinda skims across the water, easily changes direction..wind throws you off course, even a gentle breeze...and thats in a lake. They could really use a keel. But on a calm lake they're beautiful. A drag line might be helpful if you're on a river. I used just the oars our first time out and I could get up to 4 km/h but that was hard work...a comfortable troll was 1.9 km/h. Having the electric motor is SO nice!!! Great fishing vessel and very comfortable sitting in there. Trolled for over 4 hours and still didn't get uncomfortable.

We're heading out to a lake tomorrow..and tonight Im going to make a little "platform" with plywood that will sit atop the boat in the middle. I'll put a couple of cupholders in it for the "coffee"...yeahhhh thats it ;) That was the only thing we really missed, was somewhere to put stuff. The bottom, being soft, you easily lose things like swivels, flies etc. A little "table" would be perfect for the tackle box etc.

fishmania
09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Are these prices at Bass Pro Canadian dollars?

.millartime.
09-24-2009, 10:08 PM
i picked up the kennebec float tube. Its a belly boat with a pontoon boat seat so your up outta the water. only built for one tho! but tons and tons of storage comfortable and rigid. it has an excellent entry and exit with the small curtian on the front. youll understand if youve ever used a true belly boat where you have to step into.

i belive the bass pro shop site is in american dollars because its mostly an american company and its a .com site

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-25-2009, 12:04 AM
i belive the bass pro shop site is in american dollars because its mostly an american company and its a .com site

I thought that too...but no those are the actual prices in the store here in Calgary. In CAD funds. That motor mount..I paid $59 CAD....as per their website...and the 30/30 motor..same thing....I paid $99 just like on the site!!

Their prices are amazing. I bought this tacklebox at WSS (http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefront/home/fishing/fresh-sal****er-fishing/tackle-boxes/4-by-rack-system/prod212400.html) in Deerfoot meadows for $44.00. (their web price is $37...but in the store its $44) The very same box at Bass Pro (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58124_100011009_100000000_100011000?cmCat= CROSSSELL_PRODUCT) was $28!!!!

*edit* ffs....the censor code for this forum is ridiculous. The WSS link wont work cuz the url has the word "salt.water" (without the "."...so it deletes the T w A t) :rolleyes:

http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefront/renderImage.image?imageName=Fishing/FreshwaterFishing/212400_main.jpg&width=805&height=427&padding=0

Skyhoof
09-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Are these prices at Bass Pro Canadian dollars?

Yes the prices are canadian the home page, at least, changes base on the location you select. This 1 is the website for the only Bass Pro shop in Alberta.

Of course they could just change the 1 page and everything else is the same. But like CD said, they're the same price as Calgary so CAD!

Skyhoof
09-25-2009, 07:26 AM
I thought that too...but no those are the actual prices in the store here in Calgary. In CAD funds. That motor mount..I paid $59 CAD....as per their website...and the 30/30 motor..same thing....I paid $99 just like on the site!!

Their prices are amazing. I bought this tacklebox at WSS (http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefront/home/fishing/fresh-sal****er-fishing/tackle-boxes/4-by-rack-system/prod212400.html) in Deerfoot meadows for $44.00. (their web price is $37...but in the store its $44) The very same box at Bass Pro (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58124_100011009_100000000_100011000?cmCat= CROSSSELL_PRODUCT) was $28!!!!

*edit* ffs....the censor code for this forum is ridiculous. The WSS link wont work cuz the url has the word "salt.water" (without the "."...so it deletes the T w A t) :rolleyes:

http://www.wholesalesports.com/storefront/renderImage.image?imageName=Fishing/FreshwaterFishing/212400_main.jpg&width=805&height=427&padding=0

Btw CD, how do you find that tackle box? I was looking at 1 similar to that at Crappy Tire...my only thought on the pull out trays was that they're all the same size and I wasn't sure if it will fit all the different type of stuff I might potentially buy...

This is what I picked up at crappy tire for around $15 bucks. With the help of Geezle on the forum ^_^

http://www.canadiantire.com/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRDOVR~0782506P/Flambeau%2BDouble%2BTray%2BTackle%2BBox.jsp

It is as cheap as it looks, but I found it very convenient. I just got into fishing this summer and it is way better than the 2 plastic trays I got. It holds everything I have really well so far, and I can store pretty much all of my tools in the bottom compartment. So I'm very pleased with it for my first tackle box.

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Btw CD, how do you find that tackle box? I was looking at 1 similar to that at Crappy Tire...my only thought on the pull out trays was that they're all the same size and I wasn't sure if it will fit all the different type of stuff I might potentially buy...

This is what I picked up at crappy tire for around $15 bucks. With the help of Geezle on the forum ^_^

http://www.canadiantire.com/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRDOVR~0782506P/Flambeau%2BDouble%2BTray%2BTackle%2BBox.jsp

It is as cheap as it looks, but I found it very convenient. I just got into fishing this summer and it is way better than the 2 plastic trays I got. It holds everything I have really well so far, and I can store pretty much all of my tools in the bottom compartment. So I'm very pleased with it for my first tackle box.

I love it! For years I had the type that you got from CT.....I like them, the only thing I found awkward was when you wanted to open it in cramped quarters...(like in a small boat) you had to open it completely to get to everything. This new type, you can just take an individual tray out, and place it on top of the whole box...very easy to get to. Each tray has removable dividers to accommodate any kind of tackle..small, large, long etc. Plus if you want to scurry off somewhere and just take a few things with you...just take out one tray, loaded with your most common lures and don't have to lug the whole thing with you. The top compartment is large enough to hold big spools of line, pliers, bait, etc. all the stuff you want to get to repeatedly during an outing. yeah I love it!! But everyone has their own favorite.