PDA

View Full Version : Unorthodox success stories

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-23-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm curious to hear about your wacky success stories of catching fish. As an example; Years ago I was fishing with my Dad at a small hike-in lake, north of Merrit BC. No one was catching anything..flies, lures, flatfish, spoons nothing. Dad and I were trolling with a willowleaf and worm..and got maybe one bite. We hit a snag and stopped the boat..while I was waiting for him to get unhooked, for a joke I casted my willowleaf (complete with a 18" leader to the worm) It took a little co-ordination but I was able to get it to land without tangling..within seconds WHAM I got a hit! Pulled in a nice 2 lb'er. Tried it again...again WHAM. We ended up limiting out within 30 minutes. We came back to camp and when everyone was aghast at our success and asked how/what we got them on I responded "casting a willowleaf with worm".....They all looked at me scornfully thinking I was handing them some BS line...
Sooo...whats your funny story

Cowboy Al
09-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Years ago I met my bro-in-law and nieces and nephews at the local trout pond. He admitted he wasn't much of a fisherman and had rigged up a rod with a pickerel rig and worms or marshmellows (whatever bait he'd brought) he cast the line out and immediately started to retrieve it. I chuckled and started to tell him he had to let the line sit out in the water for that rig to work. Well he didn't even have the line a third of the way to shore and he had not one but two nice trout on. I just shut my mouth and continued to chuckle.......

slickinfinite
09-24-2009, 06:04 PM
I watched a friend reel in his lure get snaged on something and as he managed to pull it in he was hooked on some other line which was a snaged pickeral rig and it had a dead fish on it and another nice trout bit that fish so he basically caught it on someone elses snaged rig lol. That was a funny day fishing for sure lol.

Chris84
09-24-2009, 09:54 PM
This past winter my brother in law and I were out on the ice and some guy told us he had just lost his rod down the hole. We walked away and laughed cause how stupid could you be to lose a rod ice fishing. About an hour later I had a hit on my line and my brother in law came over to investigate, and looked over to see his rod gone. We just stood there thinking... how did that just happen. Well 2 hours later, the brother in law gets a hit on his second line. He pulls it up, you see one pickerel rig, followed by another pickerel rig, followed by a 4 pound pike, followed by his other rod that he lost 2 hours earlier.

.millartime.
09-24-2009, 10:14 PM
caught a trout fishing one day and decided to keep it for dinner. So we put in on the stringer and kept it on side of boat to keep it fresh. We went into shore for a pee break and we just left the rods on the side of the boat. When we got back on the water went to grab the rod and it was snagged, we figured it was stuck on the bottom of the boat or something. but on further investagation the trout on the stringer had taken the fly again while he was still on the stringer! with his last breathe it was hes last meal!

bruce44
09-24-2009, 11:56 PM
caught a trout fishing one day and decided to keep it for dinner. So we put in on the stringer and kept it on side of boat to keep it fresh. We went into shore for a pee break and we just left the rods on the side of the boat. When we got back on the water went to grab the rod and it was snagged, we figured it was stuck on the bottom of the boat or something. but on further investagation the trout on the stringer had taken the fly again while he was still on the stringer! with his last breathe it was hes last meal!
that was at swan right. Your llucky that one didnt have any parasites

PoorTurtle
09-25-2009, 08:03 AM
I remember as a kid fishing at a private pond with my brother. the only fish we got was from a bad cast that went over a phone line 20ft above the pond. he was able to pull the little trout up and over the line and got it to shore. that was quite the drop from there.

Clgy_Dave2.0
09-25-2009, 08:41 AM
I remember as a kid fishing at a private pond with my brother. the only fish we got was from a bad cast that went over a phone line 20ft above the pond. he was able to pull the little trout up and over the line and got it to shore. that was quite the drop from there.

ROFL!!! Winna right there!! Thats hilarious. I can just see you as a guide to the next guy...."No, no...throw it OVER the phone line, silly!" :lol:

PoorTurtle
09-25-2009, 08:53 AM
you get the best vertical jiggin action that way. Little hard on the fish though.