PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Pics

Chet
06-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Here are a couple pics from Salmon fishing last weekend around Vancouver Island. We fished 2 days at Campbell River and 1 day on the West coast side at Nootka Sound. The weather was nasty for the most part. The fishing was pretty good. We landed a fair number of Salmon up to 25 lbs with most being in the 8-20 lb range. The one in the pic below is about 15 lbs. We also caught a good mix of Halibut, Yellow Eye, Ling Cod and Prawns. I was a little lazy with the camera this year and the fact that it was pouring rain a lot of the time didn't help.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/OutdoorChet/CampbellRiver07.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/OutdoorChet/CampbellPrawns07-4.jpg

Chet

Walleyes
06-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Nice fish chet,,, good to hear you guys caught... It sucks when you head that far and fishing is slow...
When you were at Nootka how far out did you go or did you stick in shore....

cohod
06-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks for sharing! Brings back a lot of good memories I spent 30 years on the island and spent a good portion of that on the water...still have a cabin on the west coast I can hardly wait to get out there in august!

cohod

SNAPFisher
06-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Good on you for making the most of the lousy weather. Sounds like you did pretty well despite it. Nice pics too!

I'm heading to Rivers Inlet at the end of July.

Cheers!

Mike_W
06-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Heading to Port Hardy July 4th to the 14th hope to get some good action up there for bot Salmon and Halibut!!

Bought a few prawn traps for out there, Any tips on depth sturcture and bait for those little guys.

Cheers
Mike
.......man I cant wait 9 more sleeps!!!!

Chet
06-25-2007, 01:21 PM
When you were at Nootka how far out did you go or did you stick in shore....

We fished half a day for Halibut, Lings and Yellow Eye out in the deep stuff. You can still see the shore when its clear but we were out there a few miles.

Bought a few prawn traps for out there, Any tips on depth sturcture and bait for those little guys.

We were dropping our pots in 200-250' near a 100' plateau. For bait we used a perforated can of commercial prawn bait (looks like cat food... smells worse) and a herring cut in half for a little added flavour.

Thanks for the comments. I hope you guys all have good trips out there.

Chet

Snap Shot
06-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Snapfisher.. Who are you fishing with at rivers inlet..? Just wondering if your fishing with Black Gold Lodge..?

Jamie
06-25-2007, 03:07 PM
AHHHHHHH

Salmon fishing.

GOD I LOVE DOING THAT!!!

Not so sure about Black Gold lodge. If I was going back to Rivers I would look at some other places first. For as much as I think Oak bay Marine group walks on water, I don't think I would use them either. The one time I was there all the action was out on the wall and you had a monster run in the boats to get out there. Perhaps it was just a bad week, but from what I understand they take a lot of trips to wall these days.
It seemed everyone goes to the wall. It was literally a parking lot. You had to get in line to do your run.

God help the guy who nails a big one and has to chase him by all those boats and lines manned by people who are operating a boat for the first or second time.

The Queen Charlotte's are a much better choice IMHO.
Fully guided out of Kano inlet cant be beat.

Jamie

Walleyes
06-25-2007, 04:34 PM
I agree from what I've heard and read on about Rivers Inlet it she has had her better day's... It is turning into another Camble River (more talk than walk) but there are still nice fish there to be had.. There are a lot easier places to get to with just as good fishing... Take Nootka for instance,, go there in the middle of August and if you have half a clue you will average 20 - 40 pounders all day,, on water you can fish in with a 14 foot boat... And accomodations at half the price...
We did Nootka for 2 years and I would put it up against any fishery on the west coast for all round fishing and conveniences...

Snap Shot
06-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Oh god... Not the god damn wall... what a zoo... Rookies operating boats.. Thats why i was asking about rivers inlet.. I have been with black gold and wouldnt go back.. Just was going to give my opinion of the place.. But jamie and walleyes did it for me.!

Mike_W
06-25-2007, 06:45 PM
This was our last trip to Barkley Sound.
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/PICT0149.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/DSCN2559.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/PICT0135.jpg

Cheers,

Jamie
06-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Oh god... Not the god damn wall...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that was funny.

I have never been to Black gold, but I have seen the so called equipment they use (The regular stuff) and I met with them a few times at the sportsman show....
It might be a place for some folks, but I prefer my ocean going vessel to float.
I understand that the reason you have to fish 2 to a boat is one guy must bail while the other trys to keep the engine running.:lol:

Jamie

-NDN-
06-25-2007, 08:19 PM
:) nice pics guys, salmon fishing is definately on my "to-do" list.

Peace Country
06-26-2007, 10:53 PM
I am heading to Critter Cove by Nookta Island next week for a week of fishing. I use to guide at Nookta Island fishing camp great area for fishing.

Jamie
06-27-2007, 12:31 AM
NDN..
Lets go!
Quit dreaming and lets go.
Save up some Airmiles, save some cash and come with us next year.

Jamie

Walleyes
06-27-2007, 02:02 AM
If you never did it,, than do you're self a favour N.D.N. and listen to the man and do it,,, you will do it once and you will be hooked... Its the next best drug to hunting....

SNAPFisher
06-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Snap Shot, we are going with the Rivers Inlet Sportsman's Club:
http://www.riversinlet.com/

Any comments/knowledge on this place are appreciated.

Thanks all for the great info especially on Nootka. I'll report back at the end of July on how my trip went complete with pics.

Cheers!