PDA

View Full Version : Skunked at the Bow for a 3rd time now

slickinfinite
09-25-2009, 01:53 PM
In the last week I've fished 3 times in the spot where I have been having good luck and been getting nothing. I also notice much less fish are jumping but some still are.

I am still new to Alberta fishing and am wondering what this time of year is like on the Bow? I pretty much always use spoons and the occasional mepps spinner/rooster tail and just not getting any action these last few trips.

Is it spawn time? Could the fish have moved somewhere else? My spot I think is an awsome spot to, a nice drop off near shore which extends to the pumphouse and goes at least 15 feet deep if not deeper. Any input is greatly appreciated.

1 more question to, I have a copy of the fishing regs and cant figure out where the Bow river catch limits are? Can I keep brown trout as that seems to be all I catch at my spot?

DANOMAN
09-25-2009, 03:36 PM
well i lived in calgary for 30 years before moving to ontario now i miss the bow big time the bow is good all year long never a bad time on the bow sometimes the trout are hard to catch but never give up i was having good luck on panther martins the holographics series they are hard to find but the fishing store east of chinook mall they have some if not there is a new pro bass opening in your area they will have them. The bow river south of marquis de lorne trail or 22x as it was known as before is the best for browns and rainbows. If your into a cruise the town of carsland alberta just past the town turnoff under that bridge if you go to the right where the store is on the right of the bridge as your coming to it follow that gravel road to the weir theres all kinds of trout there and if your really into it i can tell you where my honey hole was lol !! Be careful about keeping trout read your regs be sure !! good luck and tight line!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dano

save a trout eat a chicken

slickinfinite
09-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Yea I decided to go to the Bow today after I planned to go to grotto lol, and the change paid off! I landed a nice 19" 2 pound brown on a Krocodile brand lure and man for little lures they cast far. The fish went back to fight another day and I also think the change from treble hooks to single hooks is better. They snag less and I've watched them as they get close and it looks like they swim a little different? Anyway skunked no more lol, would have pic but camera batteries were dead today, to many baby pics lol.

jriad
09-26-2009, 03:16 PM
ill be hitting up the bowmont park bend in the NW on Tuesday. Hopefullt some decents ones are sittin...... im all about the rapala countdowns right now.

jriad
09-26-2009, 03:18 PM
well i lived in calgary for 30 years before moving to ontario now i miss the bow big time the bow is good all year long never a bad time on the bow sometimes the trout are hard to catch but never give up i was having good luck on panther martins the holographics series they are hard to find but the fishing store east of chinook mall they have some if not there is a new pro bass opening in your area they will have them. The bow river south of marquis de lorne trail or 22x as it was known as before is the best for browns and rainbows. If your into a cruise the town of carsland alberta just past the town turnoff under that bridge if you go to the right where the store is on the right of the bridge as your coming to it follow that gravel road to the weir theres all kinds of trout there and if your really into it i can tell you where my honey hole was lol !! Be careful about keeping trout read your regs be sure !! good luck and tight line!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dano

save a trout eat a chicken

I fished the Weir for a bit with no luck in early September. We have a beer league softball tourney there every year so I hit up legacy and the weir. Hopefully you can give me some pointers so I can land one next year.... :)

thegaddiman
09-27-2009, 02:49 AM
I hit up the Bow by Carburn park friday after work and caught 2 bows, 1 @ 8" the other at 17". Then went under the 22x bridge Saturday afternoon and caught 2 browns, 1 @ 10" the other a fat 16". Then went back by Carburn and caught 3 more small bows before the bad wind came. Living in Calgary most of my life, I mainly fished the southern reservoirs and lakes for pike, walleye and whitefish, I've never really fished the Bow, but I think I'm going to do more research on it from this site and really get to know it for next season.

ericlin0122
09-27-2009, 08:18 AM
guess what, here is my story.

I went bowness park yesterday.
Another was fishing there before me. He caught nothing.
I started fishing about 30 minutes. Nothing.
Then, there were two people came. One old man asked: any luck? We both replied: No, nothing.
Old man: I bet I can have fish-on on the first cast. Do you guys wanna bet? One buck.
We replied: Sure!
On his first cast, he got a bite right a way, but did not land a fish. However, the other girl with him caught a whitefish on the first cast !
Then, later on, they landed so many fish.

Anyway, here is what he told us:
Using flies (black color and orange color works good), and hook a maggot (white). There are two flies on the line, and a weight at the bottom. Also bend the hook a little bit side way (~10 degrees). Cast onto the current, let it drift down. You can feel the weight bouncing at the bottom. Don't get the weight stuck at the bottom.

That's all he did. For sure you can catch some fish.

WayneChristie
09-27-2009, 08:35 AM
that works good, Ive fished for whites that way for years. if you use 1/3 of a coathanger but up and bend it into a "V" you wont get stuck on the rocks so often.