PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum vs fiberglass...

brandonchudyk
03-28-2023, 08:23 PM
Anyone have experience to share with their fiberglass fishing boats on AB and Sask lakes? I know the pros and cons of both, still deciding which way to go but as I ponder the pros of fiberglass it seems silly to run one when you will feel much more comfortable with your wallet and exploring on any lake, not only certain ones. One log strike and that's not going to be a good time? Thanks in advance.

fish99
03-29-2023, 09:46 AM
I have had both , with the glass boat was always afraid of rocks on shore making a hole in the bottom.
with my metal boats i just pull up on any shore and don't worry about that any more . if it does get a hole weld in a patch is easy.

Buckhead
03-29-2023, 11:31 AM
I have used both on many lakes in Northern Sask since the late 70’s. I never have worried about pulling up on shore with either one. Fiberglass and gel coat is just as easy to repair as any tinner. Having said that I now run an aluminum. I am far more concerned about log or rock strikes to the leg than any abuse the bottom might take. IMO tinners are better for boats 18’ and under. 20’ and such I would be running fiberglass. It all comes down to your budget and how you want the boat laid out. Larger fiberglass hulls are way easier to drive on nasty big water.

brandonchudyk
03-29-2023, 11:39 AM
@fish99 and Buckhead I am not too concerned with pulling up on shore because a guy will take it slow and watch, if you aren't able to go in you find a different spot or don't. I am curious how durable they are if you do hit something though, eventually you will, doesn't happen often but some logs etc are impossible to see unless you are crawling. That is where I am unsure if it is worth it, years go by life is good but then you hit that log that is just beneath the surface or you didn't see barely sticking out and what damage are you looking at. Again I am not sure how durable they are...any thoughts?

Buckhead
03-29-2023, 12:03 PM
I believe I answered that in my post. Any question of durability is going to reflect your budget and needs. A premium fishing boat whether it be fiberglass or aluminum is going to be as durable as that particular manufacturer makes it.

-JR-
03-29-2023, 12:14 PM
I had a 19 ft Baylinner fiberglass boat I used only for fishing for 20 years plus before i got my 19 ft aluminum Lund crossover .
I found the fiberglass had a much smoother ride in white caps like 80 % better
I normally don't pull my boats to shore , maybe 5 times a year to get into it if there is no pier or to get to shore to go to the bathroom .
I really never notices any damaged under my white fiberglass haul, as it wore away so perfectly on the fine sandy shores ( like sand paper ) until I had the boat on my drive way one day . When I was in the boat I had the door open on the floor of the boat . The bow was worn so perfectly and thin that I could see light coming threw the fiberglass. Wow . It was thin .
I had the repairs done to bring it back to spec. and used it for 3 more years .
Then I picked up the Lund because i really wanted a live well.Just as the lakes became catch and release . Lol
I should of kept that Baylinner .

After doing more research this year if I would get another aluminum it would be the 20 ft Thunder Jet with a 150- 200 hp prop engine on the back as they are built the thickest .

AK47
03-29-2023, 12:19 PM
What is your budget? If you ever plan fishing rivers and can afford it - go get a jet boat. Most will have UHMW installed to protect your bottom and you will never need to worry about parking on shores or about hitting the prop either. While they take a bit more gas and are louder I would never go back to prop since I got a jet. Freedom to explore rivers and get to the spots you can't otherwise access is worth the price difference.

Walleyedude
03-29-2023, 12:35 PM
@fish99 and Buckhead I am not too concerned with pulling up on shore because a guy will take it slow and watch, if you aren't able to go in you find a different spot or don't. I am curious how durable they are if you do hit something though, eventually you will, doesn't happen often but some logs etc are impossible to see unless you are crawling. That is where I am unsure if it is worth it, years go by life is good but then you hit that log that is just beneath the surface or you didn't see barely sticking out and what damage are you looking at. Again I am not sure how durable they are...any thoughts?

Pulling up on shore with a glass boat is really a non issue. Put a good keel guard on the hull, take it easy, and pick your spots to avoid big rocks. The same precautions you'd take when beaching any boat. People beach their glass boats everyday, not a problem.

If you hit a sunken log or any object hard enough, you're going to damage your hull, doesn't matter what it's made of. Fibreglass is far more durable than people give it credit for (the bass guys bang their boats of stumps and logs all the time), and the cost of repairs is directly comparable to aluminum. In some cases, it might actually be cheaper and quicker. Shipping an aluminum boat back to the factory for repair is big money and a long wait. There are a couple excellent fiberglass repair shops in AB that will make your boat good as new with a much quicker turnaround time.

I made the switch to a glass boat, and I can't see myself ever going back to aluminum. The ride quality/comfort and handling of glass boats is simply superior, there's no comparison. I never worry about the durability of my boat, but boats and boat repairs are expensive, so I'm always cautious, especially on unknown waters. It doesn't matter what you're running, a guy never wants to damage his boat. In the end though, that's why you have insurance, in case of that once in a lifetime log or rock that you don't see.

All that said, if I was fishing only in shield lakes, small shallow lakes, or trailering my boat on endless gravel roads - situations where there's no real advantage to glass and I know my boat is going to be abused - then I'd look into an aluminum boat.

Drewski Canuck
03-29-2023, 12:47 PM
Light aluminum boats float off the trailer in Alberta's shallow lakes alot easier than a heavy fibreglass hull.

Just go to Gull with your heavy fibreglass hull and try to launch.

Now if it is a deep lake with good shore depth like in BC or at Cold Lake, the advantage in ride of a fibreglass boat wins hands down.

Drewski

Walleyedude
03-29-2023, 01:13 PM
Light aluminum boats float off the trailer in Alberta's shallow lakes alot easier than a heavy fibreglass hull.

Just go to Gull with your heavy fibreglass hull and try to launch.

Now if it is a deep lake with good shore depth like in BC or at Cold Lake, the advantage in ride of a fibreglass boat wins hands down.

Drewski

Smaller is lighter, so smaller aluminum boats will definitely have a shallower draft.

It's a bit of a misconception that glass boats are significantly heavier. If you compare the dry weight of the 19-21' aluminum and glass fishing boats, there'll be some variation by manufacturer, but on average, the glass boats will only be +/- 10% (around 200lbs) heavier. Not much when you factor in what the gear we all load into our boats adds up to, not to mention the passengers lol.

I've never had an issue launching my 20' glass boat at any AB lake. Trailer design is a really important factor too though, and it often gets overlooked.

old dog
03-29-2023, 04:25 PM
I have had both and loved them all. I never beach my boat so never an issue. All of my fibreglass boats were dual purpose. The aluminum were only fishing. I guess in the end since I only fish now I would stay with aluminum. Easy to care for and clean up quickly.

AlbertanGP
03-29-2023, 05:12 PM
What is your budget? If you ever plan fishing rivers and can afford it - go get a jet boat. Most will have UHMW installed to protect your bottom and you will never need to worry about parking on shores or about hitting the prop either. While they take a lot more gas and are louder and ride like $%^& in rough water , I would never go back to prop since I got a jet. Freedom to explore rivers and get to the spots you can't otherwise access is worth the price difference.

Fixed. :)

AlbertanGP
03-29-2023, 05:15 PM
IMO tinners are better for boats 18’ and under. 20’ and such I would be running fiberglass. Larger fiberglass hulls are way easier to drive on nasty big water.

Pretty much sums it up as far as I'm concerned. And we have them all.

fordtruckin
03-29-2023, 06:42 PM

In investigated a boating fatality on a fiberglass boat last year. Guy went full throttle out of the marina and smoked a boulder along the shore the size of a small bus about 300 yards later. boat didn’t survive so well as it sunk. Split the hull right at the bow down the keel and punched a hole through the port side where they impacted. I don’t know how an aluminum boat would have faired but I was actually fairly surprised how well that ski boat held together. Was definitely a write off. I imagine the same impact on an aluminum would have been some major dents, maybe a rip in the hill but I don’t think it would have split the keel.

mlee
03-29-2023, 07:33 PM
I've got a 20 year old glasstron 175sx with a 115hp 2 stroke outboard....there are definitely times where I wish I had a comparable aluminum.....but I will give fiberglass a lot more credit as well. We travel a lot to fish....thousands of km a year....and fish everything from big water lakes like Cold Dore LA Plonge etc ....to pothole lakes in Saskatchewan and north eastern Alberta. Everything about the boat has held up beyond expectations. I beach it everywhere (within reason)....I've hit a few pieces of floating timber over the years....and I've learned the fiberglass boats are definitely a lot tougher than given credit for.

That said if all I was fishing were small to medium size lakes or up in the shield....I'd probably go aluminum.

Jims83cj5
03-29-2023, 09:33 PM
18 ft plus aluminum welded hull at least 10 gauge(there’s only a few). They handle rough water as good as you can drive it. I’ve been out on lakes where the glass boats were not going any faster than me

AK47
03-30-2023, 08:48 AM
Fixed. :)

well if you have 8 degree hull then yes. Mine is 12 and rides big waves just fine.

AK47
03-30-2023, 09:06 AM
18 ft plus aluminum welded hull at least 10 gauge(there’s only a few). They handle rough water as good as you can drive it. I’ve been out on lakes where the glass boats were not going any faster than me

Exactly. I spent last few summer vacations on Lac Des Isles... getting back through white caps on 17ft Glastron was way slower and more stressful then in 21Ft 12 degree jet boat.

AlbertanGP
03-30-2023, 04:21 PM
well if you have 8 degree hull then yes. Mine is 12 and rides big waves just fine.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8Vq6PFq/0/a452d292/X3/i-8Vq6PFq-X3.jpg

You mean like the 12 degree Delta Pad on our 22' Bratt Jet Husky? I'm not sure what you call big waves, but that boat...like any other jet boat with any 8 to 12 degree deadrise...rides like hot garbage in real rough water. I think you just need to go for a ride in a proper big water boat for reference. I don't want to argue with you but you are giving out horrible info saying any jet boat is good in truly rough water. They aren't. Period.

AK47
03-30-2023, 04:58 PM
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8Vq6PFq/0/a452d292/X3/i-8Vq6PFq-X3.jpg

You mean like the 12 degree Delta Pad on our 22' Bratt Jet Husky? I'm not sure what you call big waves, but that boat...like any other jet boat with any 8 to 12 degree deadrise...rides like hot garbage in real rough water. I think you just need to go for a ride in a proper big water boat for reference. I don't want to argue with you but you are giving out horrible info saying any jet boat is good in truly rough water. They aren't. Period.

I don't think I said anywhere that any jet boat will be good in truly rough water - so why you are making things up? You on the other hand corrected my quote and added that jet boat will ride like **** in rough water without even bothering mentioning degree of the hull - which makes quite a difference.
Not really interested in arguing, just saying from my experience. Maybe I have not been in really rough water, but as I said during whitecaps in Lac Des Isles ( and if you been there you know that water body can get rough in no time) my 21ft boat with 12 degree was way more comfortable and faster then 17 ft Glastron MX175 I had there before. No question about 8 or 10 degree jet boats - those will be tough ride for sure.
Here is my boat chilling on the beach in Rangers bay.
https://i.ibb.co/7v0pP9G/IMG-4564.jpg (https://ibb.co/31PF2J0)

AlbertanGP
03-30-2023, 05:18 PM
I don't think I said anywhere that any jet boat will be good in truly rough water - so why you are making things up?

I believe your exact words were "Mine is 12 and rides big waves just fine."

You on the other hand corrected my quote and added that jet boat will ride like **** in rough water without even bothering mentioning degree of the hull - which makes quite a difference.

That's jet boating Kool-Aid. Yes a 8 degree hull will pound your teeth out in 2 foot chop. Relatively speaking, a 12 degree hull is much better than a 8 degree, which is basically a jon boat. But the 12 degree hull is only a smaller pile of crap in rough water than the 8 degree...it's still a joke compared to a deep V.

Not really interested in arguing, just saying from my experience. Maybe I have not been in really rough water, but as I said during whitecaps in Lac Des Isles ( and if you been there you know that water body can get rough in no time) my 21ft boat with 12 degree was way more comfortable and faster then 17 ft Glastron MX175 I had there before.

Well, length is the great equalizer in rough water. Pretty much any 21' boat will ride better than any 17' boat.

No question about 8 or 10 degree jet boats - those will be tough ride for sure.

So a 10 degree hull is a tough ride but a 12 degree hull is just fine? Then you can see why I would say my 21 foot 21 degree deadrise 'glass boat is 100X better in rough water. Whitecaps don't really mean much. My glass boat goes faster into 2 foot chop with whitecaps than it does on calm water.

Here is my boat chilling on the beach in Rangers bay.
https://i.ibb.co/7v0pP9G/IMG-4564.jpg (https://ibb.co/31PF2J0)

Awesome boat. I think about getting a Duckworth like yours all the time. Then my son pins the throttle on that Bratt Jet in what I would consider chop and that thought disappears instantly... :)

AK47
03-30-2023, 05:54 PM
I believe your exact words were "Mine is 12 and rides big waves just fine."

Big difference from "every jet boat will be truly good in rough water". Just fine and truly good is already a huge difference and I was only referring to my experience and in no way was talking about all jet boats.
At the end of the day how much time you end up fishing in truly rough water? Less than 5% probably, so few minutes of not perfectly smooth ride to the dock is not a huge deal for me....
And OP's original question was mostly about lakes and glass vs aluminum and possible hull damage... I just wanted to chip in my experience in case he ever considers rivers. I probably fish rivers and lakes 50/50 and 12 degree jet is a perfect combo for both.
It is Weldcraft BTW, not Duckworth but most of them look very similar:)

EZM
03-30-2023, 07:46 PM
I've had both, and as other stated, there are advantages to both.

I currently have an aluminum and can feel just fine shoring it on rocks and leaving it out there on the shore even if it's choppy and overnight or for a few days. Glass ..... not so much, leave it on the rocks and in the chop a few days and you will be finding some swirl marks and stuff. But that's how I fish and camp and explore. If she was a dock queen or in/out every day like a weekend warrior - a glass boat would be fine too.

The MORE important consideration is getting the right boat for how you fish, where you fish, if you shore overnight on rocks often, etc.. and buying the BEST QUALITY boat you can afford. Aluminum vs. Glass will depend on this.

https://i.imgur.com/p9L9wcp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JwCt1mY.jpg

brandonchudyk
04-01-2023, 11:34 AM
@ Ak47 Budget is not an issue but as with anything you try to spend what you have to and not more, seems to be a good market of used fishing boats in the 30 g area. I am not looking for a river boat in this case, would probably look to grab something separate and get on the rivers more down the road. That's just my preference. You do have a good point though, many people have thoughts that they are not great on lakes due to rough water etc and I have seen that. Thanks for the help.

brandonchudyk
04-01-2023, 11:36 AM
Pulling up on shore with a glass boat is really a non issue. Put a good keel guard on the hull, take it easy, and pick your spots to avoid big rocks. The same precautions you'd take when beaching any boat. People beach their glass boats everyday, not a problem.

If you hit a sunken log or any object hard enough, you're going to damage your hull, doesn't matter what it's made of. Fibreglass is far more durable than people give it credit for (the bass guys bang their boats of stumps and logs all the time), and the cost of repairs is directly comparable to aluminum. In some cases, it might actually be cheaper and quicker. Shipping an aluminum boat back to the factory for repair is big money and a long wait. There are a couple excellent fiberglass repair shops in AB that will make your boat good as new with a much quicker turnaround time.

I made the switch to a glass boat, and I can't see myself ever going back to aluminum. The ride quality/comfort and handling of glass boats is simply superior, there's no comparison. I never worry about the durability of my boat, but boats and boat repairs are expensive, so I'm always cautious, especially on unknown waters. It doesn't matter what you're running, a guy never wants to damage his boat. In the end though, that's why you have insurance, in case of that once in a lifetime log or rock that you don't see.

All that said, if I was fishing only in shield lakes, small shallow lakes, or trailering my boat on endless gravel roads - situations where there's no real advantage to glass and I know my boat is going to be abused - then I'd look into an aluminum boat.

I appreciate your thoughts, thats what I am looking for. Thanks.

brandonchudyk
04-01-2023, 11:39 AM
Thanks to everyone for their advice, much appreciated.