PDA

View Full Version : name that disease

WayneChristie
09-26-2009, 04:16 PM
caught this pike today, pretty feisty but rather thin, and ugly! No idea what this is, anyone got any ideas?
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/September%2026%2009/DSCF7831.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/September%2026%2009/DSCF7830.jpg

floppychicken
09-26-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm gonna say THAT is a REALLY BAD and rather rare case of "HERPA-GONNO-SYPHILIS" ! :lol:

WayneChristie
09-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Almost looked like it was jumping for a duck same time someone let loose with a 12 gauge!

Beazer
09-26-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm thinking, another pike attacked it or maybe some giant hook snagged it.
Moreso the former though.
Just scabbing over or healing if you can do that in that water, lol.
edit:wait a minute, it looks like theres 3-5 white worms in there?

nevercatchmuch
09-26-2009, 05:51 PM
send the pic into the biologists at sustainable resources. they have answered my questions quickly before.
SRD.InfoCent@gov.ab.ca

flygirrl
09-26-2009, 05:54 PM
:innocent:Wayne, stop peeing in the water :wave::wave: :rolleyes:

Sandalius
09-26-2009, 06:05 PM
:innocent:Wayne, stop peeing in the water :wave::wave: :rolleyes:

X2..... especially after you"ve been drinking that home made hooch the night before :sick::sick::lol::lol:

baitfisher83
09-26-2009, 06:10 PM
lmao you're all so evil

Geezle
09-26-2009, 06:13 PM
whatever it is, that fish doesn't look too happy with life...

WayneChristie
09-26-2009, 06:59 PM
send the pic into the biologists at sustainable resources. they have answered my questions quickly before.
SRD.InfoCent@gov.ab.ca

thanks bud, I just sent the pics off by email. I will let you know what they say.

DarkAisling
09-26-2009, 07:42 PM
That's pretty gross. Looks like some sort of infection . . . perhaps it was badly hooked and is now on the mend?

WayneChristie
09-26-2009, 08:13 PM
not sure. Im thinking its some sort of parasite, or maybe it got hit by a prop, tho I rarely see any powered boats in there. I dont eat any fish out of there anyways, just in case :) But there are a lot of them and they are usually hungry!

WayneChristie
09-28-2009, 07:26 PM
looks like Dark Aisling wins the cookie, got a reply already today, those guys are fast!
"Thank you for contacting the Alberta Sustainable Resource Development
Information Centre.

I forwarded your pictures to a Senior Fisheries Technician who provided
the following response:

"From the photos this damage appears to be an infected prior hooking
injury. There may have been injury to the jaw thus inhibiting the pike's
ability to feed efficiently."

DarkAisling
09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Cookie!!!??? Yes please :D

Fishfinder
09-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Gotta say Wayne..only been a member for a year or so here, but, Wow! U take some beautiful pics brother. Keep it up.! Ur slowly turning me into a Pike fisherman...though I do love my bows..n sturg..n well... Gr8 job with the pics man:D OH,almost forgot - the disease - its 'man nibbles fish but dont like it and tosses it back' disease....:)

WayneChristie
09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
thanks FF, you arent far away, I will have to swap you a pike outing for a sturgeon outing, still waiting to catch my first, too busy with the pike :D I take most of my pics with the fishing rod in one hand and the cam in the other, I need a waterproof cover with all the pike splashes!!! part of the fun.

Fishfinder
09-28-2009, 08:28 PM
thanks FF, you arent far away, I will have to swap you a pike outing for a sturgeon outing, still waiting to catch my first, too busy with the pike :D I take most of my pics with the fishing rod in one hand and the cam in the other, I need a waterproof cover with all the pike splashes!!! part of the fun.

Wayne, if pike is ur thing...then Rattlesnake (sauder res.) is ur lake...!perhaps? U can wrangle pike like mad once u know the spots and gauranteed beat ur personal best as far as # of pikeys caught ( from reading ur previous posts). However, they r by no means large....for what reason, I do not know. I believe the large ones r in there, though everyone tells me they r not??? Maybe they jus cant catch em??:D

WayneChristie
09-28-2009, 08:50 PM
well my personal best from this lake is 38 in a few hours, and size wise 11 pounds. if I can beat that, Id be a happy camper. I do plan on trying that reservoir one of these days too, there are so many to chose from around it its crazy!

Fishfinder
09-28-2009, 09:27 PM
u could likely do the same in #s if not better as far as fish caught Wayne, but as far as weight goes.... u aint gonna catch no 11 pd pike at Rattlesnake unfortunately:) Either or, a day on the lake at Sauder is good times! Visit poop (Seagull) island, got a gr8 pic of a rattler swimmin with me boat! Kept on attacking us from the water, had to toss him away with the oar several timesToo bad i am pic challenged? Would luv to post. Cheers all:)