PDA

View Full Version : Kluane lake yukon

calgarychef
04-14-2023, 10:12 PM
Has anyone fished this lake?
I’m going to be working there for a few months …
I’m not a die hard fisherman, just like to flip spoons. I wonder what sort of gear I should bring?

-JR-
04-15-2023, 09:35 AM
Wow, you landed a great summer job. its one of the largest lakes up there .
Bring what ever you can . Hopefully you meet someone with a boat .
Fishing will never be the same once you leave there .

WinefredCommander
04-15-2023, 12:21 PM
Lake trout gear. Big lake. Cold as hell. Good luck.

Jim Blake
04-15-2023, 12:44 PM
huntinggr81 has a cabin listed for sale in that area. I bet he would have lots of info and maybe you could buy his cabin.

Jims83cj5
04-15-2023, 10:53 PM
Fished it several times, blue fox pixie spoons, hammer silver with pink middle, fish the drop offs deep. Typical laker techniques all work

SamSteele
04-16-2023, 08:32 AM
I’d bring some blue/silver little Cleo spoons.

SS

58thecat
04-16-2023, 08:37 AM
Has anyone fished this lake?
I’m going to be working there for a few months …
I’m not a die hard fisherman, just like to flip spoons. I wonder what sort of gear I should bring?

Len Thompson #2 spoons of many different colours etc, two musts are the five of diamonds and red and white.....7’ medium action rod, 20 lbs braid, 20lbs 12-18 inch floro leader and your good to go.

Don’t need to spend much money if you run this configuration with a ugly stick rod/reel combo.

Lake and area looks awesome....good luck!

saskbooknut
04-16-2023, 08:38 AM
I fished Desdeash Lake, south of Kluane for modest size Lake Trout and Grayling in the 80s. You could hardly make a cast without catching a fish.

MDR
04-16-2023, 01:50 PM
I fish it once or twice a year. Early season (think June, just after ice out), you can tie into some big trout just by casting off the shoreline, spoons work fine. I like the Acme Kamlooper because you can whip em far out there. Late season, you'll be better served fishing off a boat with downriggers. Good luck. Will you be fishing the east or west side of the lake?

Medium heavy rod and 12-15 pound mono will serve you well. You might get a monster pike that bites off, but it is rare as that lake is primarily trout.

Jims83cj5
04-16-2023, 02:39 PM
You want a bit of fun off the beaten path? There is a bed snd breakfast on the right side when you are northbound just before you cross the bridge. There is a trail just south of the buildings. Take it and go back there about 8 maybe 10 km, you will leave the lake side and come across another small lake with a little outfitters clearing. Between you and the mail lake there is a singular very large hill. Walk to the top of that hill, you will need to find a game trail its the only way up. On the very top of that hill is pothole lake about 400 meter by about the same. The very second your hook hits the water it explodes. It is stuffed with stunted lake trout. I wouldn’t share this but almost no one from this site would go there anyways. That little lake by the outfitters site has a bunch pike in it as well. It too is very small. If you stay on the trail you will come to part where its cut into the side of a cliff for about 400 meters just past that there will be goat/quad trail that goes to the lake. Just off the shore there is a huge drop off, its a long cast but if you get there let it sink and get ready.

58thecat
04-16-2023, 03:04 PM
You want a bit of fun off the beaten path? There is a bed snd breakfast on the right side when you are northbound just before you cross the bridge. There is a trail just south of the buildings. Take it and go back there about 8 maybe 10 km, you will leave the lake side and come across another small lake with a little outfitters clearing. Between you and the mail lake there is a singular very large hill. Walk to the top of that hill, you will need to find a game trail its the only way up. On the very top of that hill is pothole lake about 400 meter by about the same. The very second your hook hits the water it explodes. It is stuffed with stunted lake trout. I wouldn’t share this but almost no one from this site would go there anyways. That little lake by the outfitters site has a bunch pike in it as well. It too is very small. If you stay on the trail you will come to part where its cut into the side of a cliff for about 400 meters just past that there will be goat/quad trail that goes to the lake. Just off the shore there is a huge drop off, its a long cast but if you get there let it sink and get ready.

Sounds like heaven!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bushleague
04-18-2023, 03:10 PM
Medum spinning gear, Len Thompsons in yellow, orange, and silver/blue. White Mr Twisters and a couple Buzz Bombs/ Spinnows to fire way out there and dredge deep when the occasion calls for it. Caught some nice pike fishing Spinnerbaits around cover too.

I would bring some trout sized stuff too, when the grayling are running you can catch catch some pretty nice ones out of just about any flowing water.

Tigrr
04-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Take everything and ask the locals what works where.
I catch all my lake trout on 10lb test line through the ice.

calgarychef
04-20-2023, 11:45 PM
Thanks fellas, some good intel here!
Maybe I can give my old ugly stick a work out.

crazy_davey
04-21-2023, 01:19 AM

LOL! I could but I won’t. :scared0015: :)

Bushleague
04-21-2023, 04:56 AM

The Ugly Stik will for sure work, I find they cast lures in the 5/8 - 3/4 oz range the best, something to keep in mind as casting distance is a factor. Can go up to 1 oz or more without fear of damaging the rod, but casting performance tends to start to go downhill.

I regularly fish some of the province's biggest lakes from shore with a high degree of success, and my weapon of choice is a MH steelhead rod in the 9-10' range. This is dependant on having enough space to weild such a rod though, so if you're not sure that the shores arent too tight, or that you can wade out far enough to get some room, you're Ugly Stik is probably a better option.

goldscud
04-21-2023, 10:09 AM
I believe there are some inconnu in the lake as well.
I fished the SE corner years ago for lakers and grayling from the shore