PDA

View Full Version : Waterton reservoir missing

chickensashimi
04-18-2023, 07:30 PM
Anyone else notice Waterton reservoir ain’t bin in the regs since 2017?
Is it hidden somewhere, where did it go?
I guess general lake regs apply?

spurly
04-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Don’t know about the regs. But it’s under lakes in iFish Alberta.

calgarygringo
04-18-2023, 09:21 PM
Waterton is in a National Park so has Federal rules not provincial. You need a special license and it has its own rules. Just like in Banff.

crazy_davey
04-18-2023, 09:26 PM
Waterton is in a National Park so has Federal rules not provincial. You need a special license and it has its own rules. Just like in Banff.

The reservoir is not in the park.

calgarygringo
04-18-2023, 10:24 PM
Unfortunately it is under National Park Regs. Need the license and their rules.
https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/waterton/activ/experiences/peche-fishing

crazy_davey
04-18-2023, 10:29 PM
Unfortunately it is under National Park Regs. Need the license and their rules.
https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/waterton/activ/experiences/peche-fishing

Huh, I don’t see where it says the reservoir is under park rules. Maybe I’m an idiot and can’t see it?

chucklesthe3rd
04-18-2023, 10:38 PM
Waterton lakes is the national park, Waterton reservoir is just a bit north of the park. It's listed under the general regulations.

Chuck

kouleerunner
04-18-2023, 10:38 PM
Waterton lakes are in the national park. Waterton reservoir is not in the national parks. It is not listed in the lakes regs, so no specific regulation, falls under general ES1 lakes regulations.

crazy_davey
04-18-2023, 10:40 PM
Waterton lakes is the national park, Waterton reservoir is just a bit north of the park. It's listed under the general regulations.

Chuck

That’s what I thought.

https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/south/waterton-reservoir-pra/information-facilities/camping/waterton-reservoir/

Peppysan
04-18-2023, 10:42 PM

Have a look at the Map of the park. The res is north.

https://pcweb.azureedge.net/-/media/pn-np/ab/waterton/WET4/visit/cartes-maps/2023/parkmap-winter-2023-01-06-1200px.jpg

:scared0018:

crazy_davey
04-18-2023, 10:43 PM
Have a look at the Map of the park.

https://pcweb.azureedge.net/-/media/pn-np/ab/waterton/WET4/visit/cartes-maps/2023/parkmap-winter-2023-01-06-1200px.jpg

And I believe no power boats allowed anymore, since about 4 years ago.

:scared0018:

What am I looking at?

Do you know where Waterton reservoir is?

And please show me where there are no power boats allowed anymore. Waterton reservoir is not in the park, it is not Waterton lake either.

59whiskers
04-18-2023, 10:48 PM
Waterton Reservoir is west of Hill Spring, a ways out of Waterton Park.

jcrayford
04-19-2023, 06:52 AM
Waterton Reservoir is west of Hill Spring, a ways out of Waterton Park.

^Yep. This is correct. The Waterton Reservoir would fall under general lakes regulations as it's not listed in the ES1 Lakes (https://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/es1.html).

For reference, the Google Earth link is here Waterton Reservoir (https://goo.gl/maps/i7H45bkhqZT9P3KZ7) and it's clearly outside of the national park boundary.

J.

TROLLER
04-19-2023, 10:10 AM
Why is there a boat launch in the park?

SNAPFisher
04-19-2023, 11:58 AM
Why is there a boat launch in the park?

Okay...I'll bite...

Answer: To launch boats

TROLLER
04-19-2023, 12:49 PM
Okay...I'll bite...

Answer: To launch boats

Close but it is the only launch into Waterton Res I am aware of and you have to by a parks license to fish there.

crazy_davey
04-19-2023, 01:03 PM
Close but it is the only launch into Waterton Res I am aware of and you have to by a parks license to fish there.

Seriously man, what are you talking about???? Are you not following along here?

Waterton reservoir is not in the park. You don’t need a parks license to fish there. Yes you can use a boat.

Waterton lake is in the park. Yes, you need a parks license to fish there. I don’t think you can use a motorized boat there anymore.(please correct me if I’m wrong)

Is there something I’m missing here are are some of you just being daft?

SNAPFisher
04-19-2023, 01:13 PM

Waterton reservoir is not in the park. You don’t need a parks license to fish there. Yes you can use a boat.

Waterton lake is in the park. Yes, you need a parks license to fish there. I don’t think you can use a motorized boat there anymore.(please correct me if I’m wrong)

What Davey said and he is not crazy! He is bang on.

spurly
04-19-2023, 01:51 PM

Listen to this guy. This is the correct info. The reservoir is Not in the Park.

smitty9
04-19-2023, 02:03 PM
Folks:

As many previous posters have correctly noted, Waterton "Lakes" is the National Park and has 3 Lakes with the name "Waterton". I thought I'd add the map for the couple of confused posters here.

1. Upper Waterton Lake
2. Middle Waterton Lake
3. Lower Waterton Lake, also known as "Maskinonge Lake" (has pike)

All 3 in the above are contained within Park boundaries and are governed by Federal National Park regulations specific to the waters inside the Park's boundaries.

Waterton Reservoir, on the other hand, is an impoundment water reservoir on the Waterton river located well downstream of the Park boundary. Waterton reservoir is absolutely 100% under provincial jurisdiction and fishing regulations.

See the pic; red is Federal and the 1st 3 Waterton Lakes. Green is Waterton Reservoir on Alberta Provincial Lands.

https://i.imgur.com/fG8cQCw.png

Smitty

TROLLER
04-19-2023, 03:53 PM

Try being a little more decent with your reply. So I have fished Waterton Lake and was not even aware of the res. I was confused and admit it..

Keep the smart #$#$ comment to your self pls and thank you

thumper
04-19-2023, 11:40 PM
Jeez - that was painful!

Bushleague
04-20-2023, 08:58 AM

Lol, at times I think that dude's name is not so much a fishing refference, and more describes his posting habits.. been on my ignore list for many years now.

SNAPFisher
04-20-2023, 09:26 AM
Jeez - that was painful!

Very!

Thanks to Smitty for taking the extra step to clearly point out where Waterton lakes are located and where the res is. Nice work!

I can defend Davey. I think it was 3 or 4 in row that kept questioning him. I would go a bit loopy myself. Looks like the ole adage of a picture is worth a 1000 words is true again.

chickensashimi
04-21-2023, 11:32 AM

Beauty reply, lol, anyway, ya, in the park if you want a motorized boat it has to be quarantined in the park for ninety days, you can still canoe kayak pontoon, but you have to “inspect” your watercraft before it goes in the lake.
Im just perplexed as to why, a lake that size, with the fish it has, (the Alberta record brown came from there…..allegedly, lol, or was it below, lmao!)
Make things easier for me using the general lake regs, had a good day last Sunday, had I wanted to could brought home over 30 lbs of fish, lol!

chickensashimi
04-21-2023, 11:34 AM
Folks:

As many previous posters have correctly noted, Waterton "Lakes" is the National Park and has 3 Lakes with the name "Waterton". I thought I'd add the map for the couple of confused posters here.

1. Upper Waterton Lake
2. Middle Waterton Lake
3. Lower Waterton Lake, also known as "Maskinonge Lake" (has pike)

All 3 in the above are contained within Park boundaries and are governed by Federal National Park regulations specific to the waters inside the Park's boundaries.

Waterton Reservoir, on the other hand, is an impoundment water reservoir on the Waterton river located well downstream of the Park boundary. Waterton reservoir is absolutely 100% under provincial jurisdiction and fishing regulations.

See the pic; red is Federal and the 1st 3 Waterton Lakes. Green is Waterton Reservoir on Alberta Provincial Lands.

https://i.imgur.com/fG8cQCw.png

Smitty
Thanks fer the clarification, I can’t do that on this site, too dumb I guess!!

chickensashimi
04-21-2023, 11:43 AM
Thanks fer all the replies, and confirming I am actually not on crack, well at least today anyway, what a crappy spring, hope you all get some tight lines……

kevinhits
04-21-2023, 12:29 PM
Soooo anyways, how is the fishing, camping etc at the reservoir? Looks like a great spot to head for a few days. Any recommendations?:)

landowner
04-21-2023, 12:44 PM
Soooo anyways, how is the fishing, camping etc at the reservoir? Looks like a great spot to head for a few days. Any recommendations?:)

Well, as mentioned in an earlier post ,an Alberta record was caught there….

bessiedog
04-21-2023, 06:10 PM
That’s a lie
There’s no fish in that resevior

No

Fish

It’s a super terrible idea

You’ll wreck your boat.

You’ll lose all your lures.

Do not come here and fish

chickensashimi
04-25-2023, 08:05 PM
That’s a lie
There’s no fish in that resevior

No

Fish

It’s a super terrible idea

You’ll wreck your boat.

You’ll lose all your lures.

Do not come here and fish

Agreed, probably why she ain’t in he regs, hey?