PDA

View Full Version : Angler pulls 57-pound lake trout through the ice; ‘I was frozen’

58thecat
04-19-2023, 03:35 PM
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/03/angler-pulls-57-pound-lake-trout-through-the-ice-i-was-frozen

Wow!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky buck
04-19-2023, 03:41 PM
You missed the thread post a while back where people were mad it wasn’t released lol

58thecat
04-19-2023, 03:45 PM
You missed the thread post a while back where people were mad it wasn’t released lol

Crap, again I was late to the start, didn’t see the thread or didn’t remember, getting older, [emoji38] but man what a beast.

Sucks waiting for break up, checking over gear going around in circles, checked the lake, dam ice.

Smoky buck
04-19-2023, 04:04 PM
Break up is expensive because I end up ordering new gear and supplies for the up coming season

Today was

$420 on a new Abu beast toro with a higher gear ratio

$280 on tough saltwater blend plastisol(soft plastic)and some new colors

Next is more resin for hard bodies and clear coat

58thecat
04-19-2023, 04:34 PM
Ohhhh my wife got herself a
50k boat last week!
Then she got her essentials like hummingbird etc in which we installed along with extras, my knuckles are just healing from dings and cuts.
Not my flavour of boat but I was told I can come along. [emoji38] help land lunkers for her.
I prefer my kayak over everything on open water and skidoo on hard water.
If she brings in a laker like posted then I guess it’s worth it.

tirebob
04-19-2023, 04:39 PM
Jeez what a tank!!!

Smoky buck
04-19-2023, 04:40 PM
Ohhhh my wife got herself a
50k boat last week!
Then she got her essentials like hummingbird etc in which we installed along with extras, my knuckles are just healing from dings and cuts.
Not my flavour of boat but I was told I can come along. [emoji38] help land lunkers for her.
I prefer my kayak over everything on open water and skidoo on hard water.
If she brings in a laker like posted then I guess it’s worth it.

It’s not worth it because she won’t stop reminding you her laker is bigger than yours lol

58thecat
04-20-2023, 06:20 AM
It’s not worth it because she won’t stop reminding you her laker is bigger than yours lol

Sooooo true:)

She has the master angler awards but technically I caught them with the net:sHa_sarcasticlol:

-JR-
04-20-2023, 08:51 AM
Gregg this will be your last year you have a chance to keep a big one like that in Cold Lake . Hopefully they will be protected after that .
But the nets might get him still .

Bushleague
04-20-2023, 09:10 AM
Break up is expensive because I end up ordering new gear and supplies for the up coming season

Today was

$420 on a new Abu beast toro with a higher gear ratio

$280 on tough saltwater blend plastisol(soft plastic)and some new colors

Next is more resin for hard bodies and clear coat

I hear ya, I bought myself a few new toys this spring too, but a good diversion from surfing mail order sites in the spring... the water is usually pretty low so walking the shore in popular fishing spots and picking up lost fishing lures is pretty productive. The hooks are gone and need replacing, and ocasionally I find a spoon that I cant get the shine back on... nothing some hooks and a little prism tape cant fix.

Yesterday I found a half dozen Len Thompsons, cleaned out about 100 yards of line/ pickerell rigs, and found a neat little oddball called a "Striper Striker" that I cant wait to try. A topwater plug intended for the surf, just over 5" long that weighs over 2 oz, very weird that it ended up in LSL but it should work quite nicely for my purposes.

Frank_NK28
04-20-2023, 09:33 AM

Hahaha! So true, so much butt hurt on this site when someone catches and kills a fish it's unbelievable. Jealousy factor runs high in here. No wonder so many never post in here but simply lurk. Surprised most of these guys that hunt too haven't gone to paintball guns instead.

Smoky buck
04-20-2023, 09:41 AM
I hear ya, I bought myself a few new toys this spring too, but a good diversion from surfing mail order sites in the spring... the water is usually pretty low so walking the shore in popular fishing spots and picking up lost fishing lures is pretty productive. The hooks are gone and need replacing, and ocasionally I find a spoon that I cant get the shine back on... nothing some hooks and a little prism tape cant fix.

Yesterday I found a half dozen Len Thompsons, cleaned out about 100 yards of line/ pickerell rigs, and found a neat little oddball called a "Striper Striker" that I cant wait to try. A topwater plug intended for the surf, just over 5" long that weighs over 2 oz, very weird that it ended up in LSL but it should work quite nicely for my purposes.

The lure probably came from a tourist or someone with experience fishing outside of Alberta. The one thing I have learned in my travels fishing is everywhere has their local favorite lures and you will find a huge variety of “must have lures” for the same species if you visit different areas. Preferred fishing styles also vary a lot depending on the location

For example almost no one in B.C. jigs lakers in open water yet it is popular in most provinces. It works great in B.C. too but everyone prefers to troll so lure recommendations will all be based on trolling. Take spoons Len Thompson’s are a staple in Alberta but in B.C. it is gibbs and lure Jenson for popular spoons. They all work in both provinces

Take pike and how they are fished in North America vs Europe again different. I lean more towards European style pike lures or musky lures and get great results along with funny looks from those who only use the local favorite pike lures lol

The biggest thing I have figured out is all the go to lures from different regions work regardless of the location. I completely ignore what local fishermen say are go to colors and lures. Instead I go with what the species feeds on

But today is another expensive day

Airbrush, resin, and clear coat need to be ordered today lol

58thecat
04-20-2023, 09:46 AM
Gregg this will be your last year you have a chance to keep a big one like that in Cold Lake . Hopefully they will be protected after that .
But the nets might get him still .

I am glad for the slight change coming, never kept a laker out of Cold Lake but kept a few eaters out of Pearce lake in the past.:)

If I ever pull up a laker like the young lady did ya better have the AED ready:sHa_shakeshout:

Bushleague
04-20-2023, 09:55 AM
The lure probably came from a tourist or someone with experience fishing outside of Alberta. The one thing I have learned in my travels fishing is everywhere has their local favorite lures and you will find a huge variety of “must have lures” for the same species if you visit different areas. Preferred fishing styles also vary a lot depending on the location

For example almost no one in B.C. jigs lakers in open water yet it is popular in most provinces. It works great in B.C. too but everyone prefers to troll so lure recommendations will all be based on trolling. Take spoons Len Thompson’s are a staple in Alberta but in B.C. it is gibbs and lure Jenson for popular spoons. They all work in both provinces

Take pike and how they are fished in North America vs Europe again different. I lean more towards European style pike lures or musky lures and get great results along with funny looks from those who only use the local favorite pike lures lol

The biggest thing I have figured out is all the go to lures from different regions work regardless of the location. I completely ignore what local fishermen say are go to colors and lures. Instead I go with what the species feeds on

But today is another expensive day

Airbrush, resin, and clear coat need to be ordered today lol

Yeah, the timing is coincidental because just this year I ordered a bunch of plugs that are wildly popular with the north-eastern surf fishing crowd, but almost unheard of anywhere else in North America.

It occured to me that my needs are much the same as theirs, a tough lure that will cast a mile and run shallow. All of them are quite heavy for their size, and run shallow, lots of them have an internal weight transfer thing to get them to cast further. In rougly a month I should be able to give some results.

Using Euro dead baiting tactics has caught me some pretty big pike, but I also work the float like a topwater to attract attention, which is something I learned in Florida while fishing for sea trout/ redfish.

I find that the window of opportunity is limited. Within as little as a week or two the fish are less concentrated around spawning locations and covering more water works better. Unfortunate, because that feeling I get when the float go's under, and you know its probably a good one but you need to wait a little for the right time to set the hook... I dont really get that same rush from any other type of fishing.

Smoky buck
04-20-2023, 10:03 AM
Hahaha! So true, so much butt hurt on this site when someone catches and kills a fish it's unbelievable. Jealousy factor runs high in here. No wonder so many never post in here but simply lurk. Surprised most of these guys that hunt too haven't gone to paintball guns instead.

I only work 50% of the time and fish a ton during open water. I have caught all but one freshwater species between B.C. and Alberta along with a lot of what swims off the west coast. Odds are I will fish 3 different provinces this open water season. I don’t even like to fish with lures I have not made anymore. I have guided and tagged as well

The funny part is this forum seems to think my bush buck hunting is where my knowledge is but my close friends view my knowledge/accomplishments for fishing at a way higher level :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I have no problem helping others here and I know a few have had some amazing DIY sturgeon trips in B.C. from help through PM.

But I don’t have much motivation to post reports and pics on this forum especially on Alberta fishing trips. Too many negative people and too many cry about the fact someone may go fish X body of water because they seen a post.

Too bad really because I remember when fishing forums were far more busy with people sharing pictures, reports and knowledge with others. Overall it was more positive but now true fishing content is lacking do to negative people

Bushleague
04-20-2023, 10:16 AM
I only work 50% of the time and fish a ton during open water. I have caught all but one freshwater species between B.C. and Alberta along with a lot of what swims off the west coast. Odds are I will fish 3 different provinces this open water season. I don’t even like to fish with lures I have not made anymore. I have guided and tagged as well

The funny part is this forum seems to think my bush buck hunting is where my knowledge is but my close friends view my knowledge/accomplishments for fishing at a way higher level :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I have no problem helping others here and I know a few have had some amazing DIY sturgeon trips in B.C. from help through PM.

But I don’t have much motivation to post reports and pics on this forum especially on Alberta fishing trips. Too many negative people and too many cry about the fact someone may go fish X body of water because they seen a post.

Too bad really because I remember when fishing forums were far more busy with people sharing pictures, reports and knowledge with others. Overall it was more positive but now true fishing content is lacking do to negative people

I think you are graded on the curve Smokey... lots of accomplished fishermen around, comparitively few good bush hunters.

Frank_NK28
04-20-2023, 10:38 AM

So true!

SNAPFisher
04-20-2023, 11:53 AM

Ever heard of a self defeating prophecy. :)
Your call of course, but I would be happy to read a report or two from you.

For me, I will post reports and really don't care about any peanut gallery. I like to share and get into the discussions it brings. Nothing is going to stop me from using a forum the way I intend to ;)

Smoky buck
04-20-2023, 12:13 PM
Ever heard of a self defeating prophecy. :)
Your call of course, but I would be happy to read a report or two from you.

For me, I will post reports and really don't care about any peanut gallery. I like to share and get into the discussions it brings. Nothing is going to stop me from using a forum the way I intend to ;)

It’s not a self defeating proficiency but instead observations and it’s not just this forum. I am not alone on my observation or opinion either

I will likely post a little out of province stuff but we will see how my motivation is on local stuff. I will still help others by PM either way

58thecat
04-20-2023, 01:07 PM

Dam smoky wouldn’t worry about what some may or may not think.
I have met a ton of great people on this forum from all walks of life, even some we went back and forth on various discussions etc.
Many PM’s but mostly phone calls and good chats about hunting, fishing, experiences outdoors etc.
We could learn a ton from each other but a forum is like a work crew not all will stomach each other oh well.
Helping people out just puts a smile on my face and if they travel to this neck of the woods I give them my phone number just in case they run into a bind.
I know what it’s like to go to a place sometimes a little intimidating but when you know you got assistance one call away etc sure makes outings that much more enjoyable.

SNAPFisher
04-20-2023, 01:07 PM
It’s not a self defeating proficiency but instead observations and it’s not just this forum. I am not alone on my observation or opinion either

I will likely post a little out of province stuff but we will see how my motivation is on local stuff. I will still help others by PM either way

Your call to make. Stopping posting or reports will certainly not make it better - surely you get that. Observe all you like and anyone else that feels that is all the can do.

Sure it is not just this forum. I was on IceShanty Alberta area and two members complained about lack of members and posting and then went on to basically say that they are not posting there anymore. Solves nothing. Make it your place and whatever you want to do. But stop and it will stop - obviously.

I know you post and contribute in tons of ways here. Just when I see comments from anyone that is going to stop doing something because of someone else, it just sounds wrong to me.

58thecat
04-20-2023, 01:19 PM
Just like to add another point is I had only a few give me negative feedback about posting pics, places etc
Meh, your lake, your spot, your wrecking it for locals etc blah blah blah
I fart around from BC to Manitoba and have had many outdoors people assist me on my adventures which is soooo greatly appreciated and many times return the favour when I can.
That to me is what it is all about.

Got trips planned this year to the lower 48 for a cut throat slam, with my son, then off to Alaska, along with Quadra island BC too then out to athapapuskow, Manitoba gonna make a lot of friends along the way that when they come here well hello gonna return the hospitality ten fold.

Again that’s what to me it’s all about.

You Smoky keep posting as we are all following and learning.

SNAPFisher
04-20-2023, 02:25 PM
For what's its worth a like your Cold Lake updates during the winter. I don't comment on many of them but I've likely read 100% of them :)
And I'm jealous and want your skidoo!!!

Also, those are some amazing plans you have this year. I wish you all the best on them. Feel free to report back ;)

My plans, heading back to Port Hardy in July with the wife. After we explored around the island we are coming back to where we found it best - 3 days of guided fishing. Also plan to fish Shawnigan lake for bass and St Marys lake on Salt Spring for bass. Beyond that I have a lot of bookings in Jasper including week long stints to work from there remotely. woot!
That and a lot of local lakes to hit up. Feel like every weekend is spoken for - perfect!

Jims83cj5
04-20-2023, 09:20 PM

Ya but I bet the shot every 180 plus buck they see