PDA

View Full Version : Kicker question

AK47
04-21-2023, 09:05 AM
I have few questions about kickers. I want to get one for my 21ft jet boat mostly for emergency situation so I can get back in case main engine dies. So kind of like insurance, not planning on using it for trolling, etc. Is it worth spending extra money for remote steering, electric start and so on? Or just hook it to main tank and hope you will never need to use it?

fish99
04-21-2023, 10:23 AM
remoute steer and electric start is nice ,
if your main engine is not working it might be a fuel problem you should have a different fuel source , it happened to a buddy out on the ocean he got sea water in his fuel tank from waves crashing on the transom and water going in fuel tank vent, (poor design on boat manufacturer ). good lesson to learn from.

Walleyedude
04-21-2023, 10:42 AM
Kinda depends on your budget and your intended use.

Electric start and power tilt/trim are awfully nice to have, but they add weight and cost. Personally, they're both must have features, but I use my kicker all the time.

I don't have remote controls/steering on my kicker either, a tiller handle is a must have for me. You can still connect it to your main motor with a tie bar to steer from the helm with the steering wheel. I find remote throttle controls to just be in the way, and not worth the cost. If I'm going to use the kicker, it just takes a second to walk back, drop it in the water, and start it from back there. I use an ITroll for precise speed control while trolling, but in your case, not worth the cost.

I don't think you'd regret going for the Pro Kicker if you can afford it - electric start, power trim, remote throttle control, etc..., are really nice, but if it's truly only for emergency use, it would be hard to justify the added cost and weight vs a basic 9.9HP tiller handle outboard.

58thecat
04-21-2023, 10:49 AM
9.9 tiller handle outboard on separate fuel source.
For emergency purposes only sounds about right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TROLLER
04-21-2023, 11:30 AM
You might want to consider more HP if you break down on a fast moving river a smaller out board might not get you back to your launch area.

Maybe consider a 25hp should be a few good used ones arount.

AK47
04-21-2023, 11:40 AM
You might want to consider more HP if you break down on a fast moving river a smaller out board might not get you back to your launch area.

I assume that's always a possibility but 99% of the time we go upstream.... so coming back downstream with 8-9.9HP should be just fine I hope. At least that's the size of the kickers I have seen most of the sturgeon guide boats on Fraser river use.

AK47
04-21-2023, 11:43 AM
Thanks all for great info. One more question. With ethanol free fuel becoming impossible to find, is it ok to run it on regular gas? Or you need to use any additives?

Stubb
04-21-2023, 01:05 PM
I chose to go with a 6hp yammy because i wanted the option of taking it on or off with ease and not worry about a separate fuel source. 6hp was the max that was available that had an internal tank. it's a small tank but large enough for emergency. This was on a 20' jet.

Frank_NK28
04-21-2023, 01:12 PM
When I bought mine I let the dealer talk me into running just a tiller handle even though I said I wanted it mainly for trolling and second as an emergency backup. Ten minutes with it and it was into a different dealer and full remote installed. You'll never look back or regret going full remote if you intend to fish with it. Buy a kicker designed to be a kicker. Regular small motors not designed with high thrust applications in mind can quickly overheat. A Merc or Yammie KICKER model will have a prop for high thrust applications(pushing large boats) and will have dual water intakes and a higher pump output. Regular fuel is fine. I have a Merc 9.9 Pro Kicker on my Targa V18WT. Any bigger of boat and I've gone to the 15hp...I installed a T in my main fuel line too and run the kicker off the main tank but should my fuel become compromised I can turn off the T, unplug the fuel line and hook up a 3 gallon remote tank. I keep a full remote tank in the boat with me at all times stored under the floor in the centre floor compartment.

Duramaximos
04-21-2023, 10:40 PM
Merc Pro kicker is a great little engine. Mine has been serving me flawlessly for 10 years.
In your situation I would skip the remote throttle and use a tie bar for helm steering ccontrol. Power tilt and start are very nice to have. You dont want to be struggling in an emergency situation.

AK47
04-22-2023, 08:47 AM
In your situation I would skip the remote throttle and use a tie bar for helm steering ccontrol.

Don't think that is possible with inboard jet.

Frank_NK28
04-22-2023, 09:18 AM

Just go full remote and a pro-kicker, you'll never regret it, especially if you plan on doing any trolling with it. You'll thank yourself afterward. :)

Duramaximos
04-22-2023, 12:51 PM
Don't think that is possible with inboard jet.Of course haha. Missed that.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

calgarygringo
04-22-2023, 01:08 PM
My last boat I had a 15hp tiller with a tie bar for steering for a kicker. Old guy I bought it from never used it as it was just for emergencies. I thought that was a great idea but turned out I used it for trolling all the time and worked well. If just an emergency motor a tie bar for steering would be my extra. Tilt and controls would be great but probably cost would sway me otherwise.

EZM
04-22-2023, 02:04 PM
I run a Honda gas kicker that has BOTH electric start and a pull start just in case the battery goes down. Some brands/models with electric start do not have the pull handle (which seems dumb to me).

To me, as an emergency backup unit - that is the KEY feature to have.

It also does a nice job of sending a decent amoutn of amps back to batteries so you can fire up the main engine (more than other 9.9 or 15 hp kickers) which is nice.

As far as electric start, remote, electric tilt - I'd say a solid yes to all those features.

stob
04-22-2023, 03:01 PM

the newer yamaha 25...redesigned and lightweight tiller will get you home

Walleyedude
04-23-2023, 10:04 AM

I missed this too.

It’s been a while since I’ve looked into it, but I’m not sure even the Pro Kickers are available with completely independent steering.

Steering a kicker motor from the steering wheel on a jet setup might be a real challenge. I know there are electric remote kicker steering systems that let you steer from a hand held remote, but they’re pricey. You’ll have to do some homework on that one.

It’s easy to spend a ton of money on anything you’re doing with a boat, but sometimes the KISS principle is your best bet.

AK47
04-23-2023, 11:03 AM
I missed this too.

It’s been a while since I’ve looked into it, but I’m not sure even the Pro Kickers are available with completely independent steering.

Steering a kicker motor from the steering wheel on a jet setup might be a real challenge. I know there are electric remote kicker steering systems that let you steer from a hand held remote, but they’re pricey. You’ll have to do some homework on that one.

It’s easy to spend a ton of money on anything you’re doing with a boat, but sometimes the KISS principle is your best bet.

Yeah, that's the biggest question... I was quoted 3k extra to do remote steering. On one hand that is hugely important especially if I need to read the shallow river on the way back in case of emergency. On the other hand I may never need it lol. It may increase resale value though...

EZM
04-23-2023, 02:46 PM
Anything is possible - if you spend the money on an independent remote set up - but it boils down to budget. $4K-$5K for the motor, then another $3K for independent steering (hydraulic over remote actuator) kinda thing.

EZM
04-29-2023, 06:03 PM
Thanks all for great info. One more question. With ethanol free fuel becoming impossible to find, is it ok to run it on regular gas? Or you need to use any additives?

I don't mind running a tank or two of regular early or in the middle of the season (if there is not any premium around) as I know I will using premium at the end of the season for sure.

Most marina now days have premium but there are times they are out, or don't have it (remote lakes in particular).

And, most motors will burn regular just fine - my Honda is not fussy at all, but I feed it premium any chance I get.

I only use additives in the fall to ensure there are some stabilizers in the tank and lines before I put her to bed for the winter.