PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a new boat

SamSteele
04-23-2023, 06:47 AM
I pulled my new Princecraft home earlier this week and spent some time yesterday getting the electronics setup and ready for spring. I thought I would share a bit in case others were getting theirs together as well.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230423/f59f0a815826a60853fdf1df1975babd.jpg

It’s always best to start with a plan around where you want what units. I have an Ulterra iPilot Link 112lb 36v on the bow, a Helix 9 Chirp GPS G3N in the bow, a Helix 10 MSI+ G4N in the dash, and a Helix 8 MSI+ G4N on a moveable rail mount. Additionally I have a Mega 360 Universal and a Mega Live on an ArcLab pole system. I like the M360 and the Mega Live to be deployed near the captains seat as that’s where I do most of my fishing. It is also faster for me to drop them in when I arrive on a spot.

Once you know where you want everything, it’s time to start pulling wires/cables. Obviously, everything needs power. I install a fuse block under the dash and run power wires from that to all the units.

Because my units are all “N” head units, and the Ulterra is an iPilot Link (not just i-Pilot) I can network them all to talk to each other using Ethernet cables and a 5-port Ethernet box. The Ethernet box also requires power, so I put it under the dash as well. I then run Ethernet cables to every network head unit (3 in this case), to the Ulterra, and to the Mega Live (it is an Ethernet accessory, leaving the transducer port free on a head unit). Fishing these cables is always the most time consuming part.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230423/1f6fc591cb5ca56c7779be1f3d6057af.jpg

Once the network cables are run, I put the transducers on. In this case I have the Helix 9 connected to the transducer in the Ulterra, the Helix 10 MSI connected to the 2D/DI/MSI transducer on the transom, and the Helix 8 MSI uses a splitter cable to divide the SI signal to the Mega 360 and the 2D/DI to a transom mount transducer. Since all the unit’s are networked, I can select any one of these transducers from any head unit as my source.

Once the power, network, and transducers are all hooked up I’ll update all the software on the units to the latest versions. Just because the units are new doesn’t mean there aren’t software versions available for them. The latest versions help with performance and compatibility.

Now that everything is connected, it’s time to close it all up. There is some final wire loom I plan to install to keep things clean.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230423/41d77d1dafa52cc37ab7786307cc4759.jpg

So now I can see my Mega 360 and Mega Live on all three head units, I can share my waypoints between all the units. I can see my waypoints on Mega 360. I can deploy and control my Ulterra from all three units (plus the remote and foot pedal). I can see MSI on all three units (either from the transom mount transducer or the M360). I can see 2D and DI on all three units as well.

I use my Helix 8 for all my Autochart mapping, leaving my Helix 10 free for sonar screens without splitting it.

Obviously this is a more in depth setup than many boats, but I thought I would share what can be done and how the one boat network allows you to see and control everything from anywhere in the boat.

SS

Jims83cj5
04-23-2023, 07:49 AM
Wow great looking set up, I don’t read any mention of your vantage going on.

SamSteele
04-23-2023, 07:49 AM

As mentioned in the other thread, the Vantage has been discontinued.

SS

58thecat
04-23-2023, 01:53 PM
Holy crap is all I can say.
Thought I was doing good with just a helix 7 on the boat but man you take it to a complete out of this world level.
Gotta see this beast once your up at cold lake !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZM
04-23-2023, 04:07 PM
That sounds like you have it rigged up perfect Sam. What an Amazing rig you have there. I have to say, IMO, the PrinceCraft are the only boats to equal or rival Lund in the finer details of a quality build (for "production" boats). Very nice boat.

I rigged mine up similarly - with a Blue Sea Fuse Block under the dash, clean power in from 12V Aux+12V Cranking battery with isolater switch, master power switch on dash (to fuse block to eliminate parastic draw). Got much "cleaner" power that way. Used a very heavy, independent and isolated/insulated power cable and added an additional bar on 12V aux after the isolator switch.

Of course, same as you, all networked, but in my case older electronics but same result - allowing units to share info, waypoints, trails, etc... Onyx 10, and two 898c with separate GPS puck near the back where main transducers are (reduces directional errors as the closer the GPS receiver is to transducer the more accurate your maps and waypoints are).

The back of the boat has one big SI transducer, and two high speed (on HD and one standard) transducer both as a fail safe backup, but to allow more options on displaying different views. Ran them at two different frequencies to eliminate "noise".

The MinnKota I=Pilot link up front also has it's own transducer and, of course, separate 24V system. The only physical connection (link) is the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet box under the dash.

Looking at your set up, sounds like it's set up the same (or very similar) and I will tell you, you took the time to do it right, and you will be happy with the results.

PS - you probably already thought of this, but I ran a few paracord lines from the bow and stern to under the dash in case I ever need to add something, or remove something instead of fighting and snaking wires which could be a royal pain (at least it is in my TYEE). Very glad I did that :)

Cheers

Walleyedude
04-24-2023, 03:21 PM

As mentioned in the other thread, the Vantage has been discontinued.

SS

Fortunately for me, I stocked up on Vantages. :sHa_shakeshout:

Here's how I have my Vantage rigged. Everything is within arms reach, and the sonar is right in front of my face. Complete control of the boat and the Active Target from a single position that's all day comfortable. Perfect...

RACKER
04-24-2023, 07:28 PM
Man you have a fantastic set up. I know you spend a lot of time with the family on the water and that would make it so enjoyable. I would just like to see how it all goes together and how the screens operate. That’s a dream boat for me that’s for sure. Hope you guys have a great time on the water with it. Best of luck.

lmtada
04-24-2023, 08:59 PM
Very Nice. Congrats. 🍺

SamSteele
04-24-2023, 09:24 PM
Holy crap is all I can say.
Thought I was doing good with just a helix 7 on the boat but man you take it to a complete out of this world level.
Gotta see this beast once your up at cold lake !

I’ll message you next time I’m up at CL and we can go for a fish.

SS

EZM
04-24-2023, 09:30 PM
Fortunately for me, I stocked up on Vantages. :sHa_shakeshout:

Here's how I have my Vantage rigged. Everything is within arms reach, and the sonar is right in front of my face. Complete control of the boat and the Active Target from a single position that's all day comfortable. Perfect...

Wow ..... never get tired of looking at your boat ..... amazing rig. Warriors are definitely top notch glass boats with real fishing features in mind when they designed them.

58thecat
04-25-2023, 06:20 AM
I’ll message you next time I’m up at CL and we can go for a fish.

SS

You bet, found a place just out of pure luck that has crazy structure 50,90, 170 fow all in a small area, peaks and valleys etc then levels out to big flat bottom.....with all the gidgets and gadgets on your boat the lakers don’t stand a chance.:)

Walleyedude
04-25-2023, 07:44 AM
Wow ..... never get tired of looking at your boat ..... amazing rig. Warriors are definitely top notch glass boats with real fishing features in mind when they designed them.

Thanks EZM.

They are purrrty and "sparkly" lol, but you nailed it, the interior layout and purpose built design are the reasons I own a Warrior. I'm a very fortunate guy.

CanuckShooter
04-25-2023, 08:17 AM
We thought we were styling with our first Hummingbird and a 12 foot tinner.

old dog
04-25-2023, 08:59 AM

Every boat is styling. Just heading out to go fishing is styling. I kept my tinner for 40 years before I gave it to my son

SNAPFisher
04-25-2023, 09:06 AM
Every boat is styling. Just heading out to go fishing is styling. I kept my tinner for 40 years before I gave it to my son

Nicely said! In 2001 I bought my 12 foot Lund off an older gentleman in Leduc. He had it for a lot of years. He really maintained and loved it I could tell. Since then it has been put through the paces for sure...I'm not easy on stuff and end up in some really remote places. The wheel system he added is still intact and I used it for hand hauling into tough to get to lakes every year. As the bottom began to wear out back in 2010 I had my brother in law weld aluminum plates on the underside...seems unstoppable now. The boat is well over 40 years old and I hope it is with me until I'm done and can pass it on to the next fishing nut ;)

SamSteele
04-25-2023, 09:09 AM

I run a 12 foot tinner with a portable Humminbird unit as well. Different boats for different opportunities. Both catch fish and I have fun either way.

SS

skawtty
04-25-2023, 09:13 AM
Nice new toy! I have been waiting a year for my ulterra 72" 112 36v system. They are supposedly on back order still. When I get it I will most likely be getting ahold of you for some questions for the linking of my hummingbird 10 g3n's.

SamSteele
04-25-2023, 09:16 AM
Nice new toy! I have been waiting a year for my ulterra 72" 112 36v system. They are supposedly on back order still. When I get it I will most likely be getting ahold of you for some questions for the linking of my hummingbird 10 g3n's.

No problem! The 72 inch units have been tough to get across the board it seems. The 60 inch are around, but some rigs need a bit longer.

SS

elkhunter11
04-25-2023, 09:36 AM
I am kind of glad that my budget limits my technology. My Helix 7 is enough for me to learn.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

EZM
04-25-2023, 08:38 PM

Humminbird products are really easy and they make it "idiot proof" (which is great for everyone).

For multiple head units, Ethernet hub. Other than the cables themselves, which all plug into that, that's all you really need.

Very Easy. Done. Just need power to hub which, if you mount the hub under the dash is right there for you.

Always a good idea to run a fuse block and run power into that, then all you head units fed from that power.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/45063/humminbird-as-eth-5pxg-module?productVariantId=153569&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping+Free+Listings&gclid=CjwKCAjw9J2iBhBPEiwAErwpeRXWU54q3UTHKv97eQXW gbygFqXL5Y0YbYuc6HDKjLMZje3cDedFHxoCpJEQAvD_BwE

If you are only running one head unit - plug it in (your Ulterra) via Ethernet cable and you are done.

CanuckShooter
04-26-2023, 10:41 AM
I am kind of glad that my budget limits my technology. My Helix 7 is enough for me to learn.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I've been considering an upgrade to a Helix 7, would you recommend it? I already upgraded to a 14' tinner on a trailer, now thinking about fancier electronics and an upgrade from 4hp Yamaha to a 9.9, just been watching for a good sale!!

SamSteele
04-26-2023, 10:55 AM
I've been considering an upgrade to a Helix 7, would you recommend it? I already upgraded to a 14' tinner on a trailer, now thinking about fancier electronics and an upgrade from 4hp Yamaha to a 9.9, just been watching for a good sale!!

Cabelas has Helix 7 MSI G3N units on a big sale atm. $330 off. You won’t find a cheaper Helix 7 in my experience. They are one generation old, but very capable units.

SS

58thecat
04-26-2023, 12:58 PM
Cabelas has Helix 7 MSI G3N units on a big sale atm. $330 off. You won’t find a cheaper Helix 7 in my experience. They are one generation old, but very capable units.

SS

Exactly and highly recommend going that route!
No complaints here.

SamSteele
04-26-2023, 02:00 PM

SS

Forgot to mention, the Helix 7 G3N is NOT compatible with Mega Live. The Helix 7 G4N IS compatible with Mega Live.

SS

CanuckShooter
04-27-2023, 09:57 AM

SS

Good info, thanks.

skawtty
04-27-2023, 01:51 PM
Humminbird products are really easy and they make it "idiot proof" (which is great for everyone).

For multiple head units, Ethernet hub. Other than the cables themselves, which all plug into that, that's all you really need.

Very Easy. Done. Just need power to hub which, if you mount the hub under the dash is right there for you.

Always a good idea to run a fuse block and run power into that, then all you head units fed from that power.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/45063/humminbird-as-eth-5pxg-module?productVariantId=153569&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping+Free+Listings&gclid=CjwKCAjw9J2iBhBPEiwAErwpeRXWU54q3UTHKv97eQXW gbygFqXL5Y0YbYuc6HDKjLMZje3cDedFHxoCpJEQAvD_BwE

If you are only running one head unit - plug it in (your Ulterra) via Ethernet cable and you are done.

Thanks