PDA

View Full Version : Kayak fishing near Nordegg

Joshdunn
05-09-2023, 06:51 PM
Hey all. I’m attempting to plan a week long trip near Nordegg next month , I’ve been looking at somewhere i can get a variety of fishing in ( rivers / streams / and lakes with and without the kayak ) and I’ve kind of settled on going around Abraham lake. From what I’ve been reading though it doesn’t really seem like it’s a safe lake to kayak for a beginner. Should I not bring the kayak and just fish the rivers and streams and cast from shore on the lakes? Any insight on the lake and surrounding areas would be greatly appreciated, thanks !

Tight lines

flydude
05-10-2023, 10:05 AM
You could also kayak and fish in Fish Lake (Shunda Lake), Goldeye Lake, and the Beaverdam recreation area.

Joshdunn
05-10-2023, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the reply ! Are those lakes big enough to spend a full day on each ? Have you been to Abraham at all? Am I wrong to think that I should stay off it or could I be safe near shore ? Thanks I’m advance!

58thecat
05-10-2023, 12:22 PM
Kayaking is like any boating on any lake.
You stay within your means/limits/capabilities and everything will work out for you.
I wouldn’t just jump in and go fishing, how about a practice paddle or two?
Practice rolling your kayak and getting back in, many simply don’t and really struggle when it matters.
Figure out the limitations too as in how far can you lean over before tipping.
If so practice standing up and sitting too.
Tether you items to your yak in case something goes over or you do roll.
Safety gear is essential too, first aid kit, spare paddle etc
Be seen, my spare rod which too is tethered to my yak I fly a flag on it.
I was out in my boat once and the rollers were like three feet, as I was making my way in I thought I saw something up ahead and sure enough it was a fella in a yak, only seen at the top of a roller and then would disappear, think about if a fella was scooting across the lake to get out of the weather the fella in the yak was only periodically visible but if he had a flag flying more than likely would be seen from a distance.
Eye in the sky, watch the weather forecast and work on your skill sets all combined you will enjoy kayaking.

Good luck, look foreword to your post after your adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky buck
05-10-2023, 12:41 PM
Myself I would not hesitate to kayak fish Abraham and actually plan to this year

That said I know the limits of my skills and I run kayaks that can handle rough conditions. I still use my head and plan my fishing according to the wind conditions/direction. I try to avoid large open water crossings in heavy cross winds for example. But I have been on lakes fishing with a kayak well 12-14ft tinners are running for shore

Not all kayaks are built equal for rough conditions on big water and not everyone has the knowledge of how to navigate rough conditions either

501s
05-10-2023, 12:42 PM
For all the years and times I have tossed a line into Abraham, we have never so much as seen a fish. I wouldn't waste my time.

However I have caught fish at all the other lakes listed. Not a lot mind you, but the fish were there. Those smaller lakes are also so much safer then Abraham.

Joshdunn
05-10-2023, 01:08 PM
I have been out a few times with the kayak and I’m fairly confident the only thing that worries me about Abraham lake is I’ve heard it can go from glass to 3-4 foot waves in minutes. And I’ve looked up lots of videos on how to re board but I was hoping on waiting untill the water warms up a bit where I am to try it lol. I will be out lots more on my local lakes before I head to Nordegg . So my confidence and competence should go up before I head there

Joshdunn
05-10-2023, 01:11 PM
Thanks that’s more or less the info I’m looking for I just seen the regs with how many you can keep out of there and was assuming that would be my best bet at cooking a fish for dinner a few nights lol but I think I will just spend my time around the smaller lakes for peace of mind

-JR-
05-10-2023, 04:40 PM
Fish lake also has a nice campgrounds
A lot of crown land camping along Abraham lake but be sure you have that new pass ,they do check there .
I would not camp in the campgrounds across from Nordegg unless you want to listen to ATVs running up and down that side road all day .