PDA

View Full Version : Rivers Inlet Resort Going Bankrupt?!?!

dss44
09-28-2009, 01:12 AM
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090926/bc_unpaid_employees_090926/20090926/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Employees of a remote fishing resort on B.C.'s rugged Central Coast say they're in limbo because they haven't been paid for their work this season.

Six employees of Rivers Inlet Resort told CTV News that their paycheques bounced.

Baker Mansour Nemouchi says he's owed almost $10,000.

And he needs it.

"I have kids. I got a wife. I got kids to feed," he said.

Toni Brown is in B.C. on a working vacation from New Zealand.

She was relying on that money to keep travelling. Now's she's stranded.

"Basically, ruined my plans actually," she said.

In all, 15 employees worked a month without a day off.

They say they tried repeatedly to call their bosses -- resort owners Rick and Ron Shapland of Oregon -- but couldn't reach them.

CTV was not able to reach them either.

The owners did, however, send an e-mail to employees, telling them that the company might have to declare bankruptcy.

"We have researched every avenue we can think of ... Not only are all of you suffering, we are suffering as well," the e-mail read.

The area had a banner fishing year. Other resorts are reporting record catches.

But the Shapland brothers may be victims of the recession. The employees say business was down.

The employees say the Shaplands were good bosses. They just want the brothers to pay up.

Sundancefisher
09-28-2009, 07:40 AM
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090926/bc_unpaid_employees_090926/20090926/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Employees of a remote fishing resort on B.C.'s rugged Central Coast say they're in limbo because they haven't been paid for their work this season.

Six employees of Rivers Inlet Resort told CTV News that their paycheques bounced.

Baker Mansour Nemouchi says he's owed almost $10,000.

And he needs it.

"I have kids. I got a wife. I got kids to feed," he said.

Toni Brown is in B.C. on a working vacation from New Zealand.

She was relying on that money to keep travelling. Now's she's stranded.

"Basically, ruined my plans actually," she said.

In all, 15 employees worked a month without a day off.

They say they tried repeatedly to call their bosses -- resort owners Rick and Ron Shapland of Oregon -- but couldn't reach them.

CTV was not able to reach them either.

The owners did, however, send an e-mail to employees, telling them that the company might have to declare bankruptcy.

"We have researched every avenue we can think of ... Not only are all of you suffering, we are suffering as well," the e-mail read.

The area had a banner fishing year. Other resorts are reporting record catches.

But the Shapland brothers may be victims of the recession. The employees say business was down.

The employees say the Shaplands were good bosses. They just want the brothers to pay up.

Don't like to see the competition dry up. :cry: Bad for business and the consumers. I am organizing two trips of 100 people total to the Queen Charlottes next year. Hopefully no other lodges will go bankrupt.

Maybe we should all pool our money and try to buy the company in bankruptsy court? :evilgrin:

Geezle
09-28-2009, 07:51 AM
That's rough, I feel really bad for the employees who appear to be getting the shaft.

dss44
09-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah...this lodge is the one that caught the vast majority of the bigger fish due to its location at the head of the inlet where the fish must condense. Of all the lodges in Rivers Inlet this one caught the most fish from my understanding...Sportsmans Club did well too...Duncanby does the worst by far. They came to where we were fishing this year and while we had 8 Chinook in the boat by 9am they only had 1 or 2...and would hear them complaining about the "black bombers" (Black Rockfish) they couldn't keep off...you would think they would learn the tach and where the salmon are located compared to the Rockfish.

WayneChristie
09-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Don't like to see the competition dry up. :cry: Bad for business and the consumers. I am organizing two trips of 100 people total to the Queen Charlottes next year. Hopefully no other lodges will go bankrupt.

Maybe we should all pool our money and try to buy the company in bankruptsy court? :evilgrin:

now there is a great idea. free trips to all owners. Id be willing to relocate out there!

the franchise
02-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to clarify some unprofessional comments made by one dss44. To shoot down other lodges is unprofessional and absolutely unnecessary. We are supposed to be a sport fishing community; however dss44 must not see it this way.
First off, Rivers Inlet is one of the best salmon fishing destinations on the planet, all lodges that are fortunate enough to be located there, reap those benefits. Salmon over 70 and halibut over 125, are a simple luxury for the Rivers Inlet fishermen.
If you are looking for the best fishing experience on the coast, you can find out all about it at duncanby.com
Check out the picture on there of me and my gramps with his 72.5lb spring.
We must have not been able to "find the tack" when we got that one.
What goes around comes around.
Tight lines all
The franchise

dss44
02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I was merely reporting what I saw first hand to those on the board...and by no means saying they don't get the odd big one. I could easily go on and on about this subject, but will keep it at that. From my understanding Duncanby has a great lodge and great food.

blackpheasant
02-08-2010, 10:39 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to clarify some unprofessional comments made by one dss44. To shoot down other lodges is unprofessional and absolutely unnecessary. We are supposed to be a sport fishing community; however dss44 must not see it this way.
First off, Rivers Inlet is one of the best salmon fishing destinations on the planet, all lodges that are fortunate enough to be located there, reap those benefits. Salmon over 70 and halibut over 125, are a simple luxury for the Rivers Inlet fishermen.
If you are looking for the best fishing experience on the coast, you can find out all about it at duncanby.com
Check out the picture on there of me and my gramps with his 72.5lb spring.
We must have not been able to "find the tack" when we got that one.
What goes around comes around.
Tight lines all
The franchise
Can't speak for dss44 but one thing I know for sure is the fishing can be really tough there and has really gone down hill over the years, nice scenery though....

the franchise
02-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the complement; we do have a great lodge and great food. We do however catch more than "the odd big one".
BREAKING NEWS, there is more than one tacc at CC. Something I’ve seen first hand is me limiting out on my own tacc and leaving while you guys wear a groove in the slot looking at each other confused, wondering where the bite is??? A little innovation goes a long way....
I am merely reporting what I see first hand
The franchise

the franchise
02-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Can't speak for dss44 but one thing I know for sure is the fishing can be really tough there and has really gone down hill over the years, nice scenery though....

you are correct, our run of 40-90lb chinook have realy taken a hit as it has been the most desireable salmon fishery in North America sicne sportfishing became an industry (who doesnt want a shot at at 80lb spring??)
However, there are few places along the coast where a decline is salmon stocks is not the case. It really gets me when people point fingers at our area. I have fished there now for 7 years and understand the fishery well.
I personally do not spend most of my time up the inlet. I will spend the odd slack tide there for a shot at a monster.
We fish were the action is. we are one of 2 lodges in the inlet who run riggers and utilize the off shore fishery. we are fortunate to be located in the mouth, where we have the option to fish for rivers inelt hogs when they are running, but also it is just as close for us to scoot out of the mouth and target those millions of other migrating sprigs and coho that are cruzing by.
thre are even some spots, best left unsaid, that are a much closer run for us, that people come all the way up from hardy to fish. we are very luckey to have a location so close to some of the worlds best salmon fishing.
Have a good one
the franchise