PDA

View Full Version : Another great paddle on the NSR

bigrfish
09-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Nsr from Saunders to Drayton
Proved to be a little more challenging from Saunders to Rocky but what a trip.
Great weather and some great fishing made it all the better this year.
I wish we were still out there if truth be known...lol
Some very nice browns,bulls,pike and whitefish made the day.
Even managed one rainbow much to our disbelief.
A few walleye on the lower end as well.
All in all,a great trip
Lousy part is that it reminds me summer is almost over
Cheers, and here's hopin next year proves to be as good.

splitflame
09-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Looks like a wicked trip

fallen1817
09-28-2009, 05:19 PM
I did that trip two weeks ago, launched at saunders, camped at horberg, and then got off at rocky historical site. Its a wonderful trip, and I was kind of kicking myself for not bringing my fishing stuff. Although I have minimal experience with river fishing. Would have been fun.

-Jeff

Badback
09-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Great pics thanks for sharing....

Geezle
09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Looks like a good time!

I'm just hoping I can manage something similar myself next season :cool:

lew88_88
09-28-2009, 09:27 PM
how long did this trip take, my wife and i did devon to edmonton this year, her first time in a canoe, and she really enjoyed it.

bigjeff
09-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Great pics! looks like a great trip. Could you do the trip in a drift boat without too much hassle?

bigrfish
09-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Honestly,the water from Saunders to Rocky is a little more difficult than from Rocky to Drayton.I would recomend the Rocky to Drayton trip for almost anyone.There are some stretches that prove a little challenging but not to difficult.It depends on what you like to do I guess.We like to fish...and found we spent more time navigating the upper stretch than fishing.The pace is a little slower from Rocky and the fishing opportunities seemed alot better.It took us 3.5 days to do the trip and had 1 very long day on the water.Water levels also play an important role as they do often change.The water level changed twice on this trip due to outflow from the dam although the river was lower than we have seen in previous years.We are probably close to the intermediate skill level range I would guess...lol and we had no problems on the lower stretch.There are a few serious sets of rapids on the upper half that we did not feel comfortable paddling thru.Luckily for us we were able to drag the canoe around these rapids.With higher water levels this might not have been possible.Anyways...take 3-4 days and do the Rocky to Drayton stretch for a wonderful slower paced trip and kick back and enjoy all it has to offer.