PDA

View Full Version : Big LSR Bull

Deano
09-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Garth and I headed up to the LSR on Saturday. We left at 7:00 and got to the first bridge just after 10:00. There were quite a few peple camping but no one fishing. I assume they were mostly hunters but the one couple we talked to were just campers. I caught a couple 13" Grayling by the bridge. lost a Bull and had a couple other follows. Garth didn't have waders and was pretty much confined to the bridge area so I decided to head upstream and give the run to him.
I have hiked upstream on a few different occassions and have found some nice water. After about a km I found a nice spot with a fallen spruce that has created a real nice hole. It looked like the perfect spot for a big Bull to hide and ambush, and that's exactly what happend!! After about 10 casts I heard a wierd noise and a big Bull scared the **** out of me!!!! I was after Bull Trout.................not a Bull Moose!!!!!!!!!! I heard a noise that I am not familiar with and lifted my head towards the bank about 50 feet away. A few seconds later this Bull comes out of nowhere and is staring at me from ontop of the bank. I have always loved seeing animals in the wild since I have been a kid. I have always wanted to buy a real nice camera and become a hunter with a lense (I know this is an outdoorsmen board but so be it). I have had very few run ins with large animals in the wild. Usually it is from the safety of a car.
So here I am staring down this fairly large Bull Moose (I am no pro, but would guess he was a juvenile who will become a monster) about 50' away from me while I am up to my waste in a river with no one around WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! My first thought was "No problem, he is more scared of me then I was of him. I will just scare him away and continue fishing"...HAHAHA. Another GREAT decision Deano (you stupid :mad3: )!!! I raise my hands and yell at him, exactly what I can't tell you. He proceeds to look at me and jumps down the 6 foot bank and takes about 4 big strides right at me!! I think to myself, self...atleast you are upstream and will float down to Garth!! I immediately turn around and tryed to run out of the river, but being waste deep in water and being a short fat white guy the deck was a little stacked against me!!
I did manage to get out of the water and onto the rocky shore across the river from my new friend. For those of you that have been to the LSR you know how narrow it is. If he wanted to he could of crossed it in 2-3 seconds. At this time I finally made a good decision. I started to back up slowly and continued to yell at him (calling him a stupid and some other things). He finally turned around, jumped up the bank and trot off.
I made my way back down to Garth and told him what happened. He, like you, laughed at my experience!!! When I called Kaaren later she also laughed and asked if I got any pictures. I did not have my camera but I doubt I would of capitalized on the situation if I did. It was an amazing experience and something I actually hope happens again!!! Something about getting the **** scared out of you and having everything work out is quite the rush!!!
We continued to fish the first bridge by our selves before heading down to the second bridge. When we got to the second bridge there was atleast 12 people there and they were catching nothing but 8-10" Grayling. The numbers were definitely better at the second bridge but the size is no where near as good as the first. We were going to walk upstram but the weather was definitely blowing in and I was sure the first couple of nice runs would of had a few fishermen there already.
It was definitely nice to get out. The river is the lowest and clearest it has been in the 4 years I have fished it.

Deano

TreeGuy
09-29-2009, 12:08 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

Great story, Deano! If only they could be that co-operative when you're actually looking for one! Glad you survived.:D

Tree

Drano
09-29-2009, 03:46 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience, once in a life time.

Thanks.:wave::wave:

Deano
09-29-2009, 09:43 PM
It was definitely quite the adventure!!

Deano

BobLoblaw
09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
"...I am up to my waste..."

waste=crap, right?:evilgrin:

Great story!:D

TUFFBUFF
09-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I thought I'd see a pic of an 8 or 10lb Bull Trout! :D - good story though, you never know what them buggers are gonna do when they look at you funny and are that close.