PDA

View Full Version : What is your Preference..

Drano
09-29-2009, 03:52 AM
What with hard water fishing just around the corner, I was curious as to what
type of equipment everyone likes to use.
Home made tip ups, small fishing rods or whatever else is out there.
I personally prefer the small fishing rods.

Thanks for your input.
Drano:wave:

Geezle
09-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Back in the day before I was out of fishing for several years, I always just had a small ice fishing rod with my old spincast reel on it, and that was okay for me. I was always with my dad and he'd usually have his ice fishing rod and a tip-up.

Now that I'm getting back into fishing I've had to start out from scratch as far as my gear goes. So far I have a Quantum 24" light action rod with an ultralight Daiwa reel that I got at the big sale at TFH (https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3852111&enlargeSkuz=23240&FILTERBYPRICE=AND%20retailPrice%20is%20not%20null&PAGEAT=3&GOZ=31&D=07&C=072&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=072) that I plan on spooling up with about 4lb test for perch. I also plan to get another ice fishing rod...something medium action for larger fish, and then I'll put one of my other spinning reels on it with 8-10lb test on it.

I'll probably end up getting a couple tip-ups as well, but I haven't decided on which one(s) to get. Freeze-up is still a little ways off so I'm not too worried about it yet. :)

WayneChristie
09-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Ive been using an uglystick junior for pike fishing, havent had any problems with any size fish on it. I think its 3 foot 8 or something, might be a bit long, unless you are in the open, but I think it would be able to take any weight line you put on it, Ive been using 8 pound braid. Love the rod, and for 20 bucks its hard to go wrong!

dollfin
09-29-2009, 09:48 AM
:) I love my ugly stick too, great rod, for the price!

Chris84
09-29-2009, 09:55 AM
For one line I use a homemade rig....(not really a tip up though). The other line I use a little 2' rod (I can't even remember what make) with a shakespeare reel. Both of them work great.

allenford
09-29-2009, 10:37 AM
for pike and ling, I use a izumi rod (https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3863085&enlargeSkuz=24815&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=072&GOZ=16&C=072&PAGEAT=2&D=07&FILTERBYPRICE=AND retailPrice is not null&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=)with a shimano solstace 2500, 10 lbs fireline smoky. By putting a large smelt on a rattling spoon, it almost guarentees a pike within 1 hour :lol::D.

for perch and white fish, I use a ice blue ultra lite (https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3845058&enlargeSkuz=23218&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=072&GOZ=16&C=072&PAGEAT=2&D=07&FILTERBYPRICE=AND retailPrice is not null&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=), with a Mitchell AvocetŪ II Gold Series, 4 lb fireline crystal. Sometimes I use vanish 6 lb as well.

I usually keep the above two rods in the shack and switch them between the spicies show under the hole.

burbotman14
09-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Marmish Ice rod with 4 pound test line. Works great for trout and whitefish.

fisherwoman
10-02-2009, 08:11 PM
We have a couple tipup/small rod rigs that we bought at Canadian Tire. They are called the "wonder rod". We just love them for the hard water because the work better than a regular tip up, and the smallest hit will set it off. We usually go for rainbow, but are gonna try some new spots for other fish this year.
Happy fishing!

Paul C
10-02-2009, 08:53 PM

Thanks for your input.

I use the buzz sticks. I modified the battery holder to use AA battery.
I just turn on the rod and it jigs automatically. The new rod has three different programs that stop and go on there own.
Cheers:D

Paul C
10-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Marmish Ice rod with 4 pound test line. Works great for trout and whitefish. The buss stick work really well for those tiny little lures. I asked for custom lures from Marmish. The brown barley with white ring they made for me works well for trout and perch.
:DCheers:D

fluxcore
10-03-2009, 09:37 AM
JIFFY AUGER, after that its all about getting the line in the water!!!!!

pecker
10-03-2009, 03:30 PM

Thanks for your input.

start with a BIG 10" hole , which my eskimo delivers - my homemade wooden tip-ups - 15-20 # test line for those nasty pike - a smelt & some fishin buddies . TIGHT LINES .:wave:

Beazer
10-03-2009, 05:59 PM
just starting to get back into ice fishing.
Went out and bought a St.Croix Ice Rod Medium for the pike and going to use fireline crystal ice 10lbs for some pike and 20 lb power pro for the heavier guys.

Going to get a Frabill Panfish Popper for the perch at Sundance and probably use powerpro 4lb iceline.

Don't know how to ice fish for trout nor what to use yet, so thats in the works.

Trying to figure out if i should just use my regular ul reels or those ok reels i got with the rod/reel combo's.

Drano
10-06-2009, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the input...

Hoping to get out more often this year.