PDA

View Full Version : Shore Fishing in the Dominican...any tips?

Tbar
09-30-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm going to the Dominican in a few weeks and I'm sneaking my telescopic travel rod into the suitcase (god I hope my wife doesn't see it!). Anyone ever do any fishing there? I'm not sure what I should take for lures or what kind of bait to pick up. Any tips on what kind of fish I'm likely to see would be great also. I'm planning to be fishing from shore mostly.

stinky nymph
09-30-2009, 06:39 PM
look for some local fisherman. Bring a second cheap road and offer it in payment for an afternoon tour of the local hot spots. Works everytime, 50% of the time.

seahawkfisher
09-30-2009, 08:25 PM
shrimp; see if you can get some from the chef atthe resort - they are usually pretty good about it. sometimes you can even talk them into cooking your catch for you
good luck

Boreal
10-01-2009, 08:45 AM
I have never shore fished in the Dominican, however I have done some Marlin fishing there in late October and Early November. If you have a chance get out into the big water on the Atlantic side of the island (Punta Canna side) the Marlin are on there yearly migration at this time of year. Two years ago I was lucky enough to cath a 380 lbs Blue Marlin (90 minutes of heaven or hell dependent on how hung over you are). You might also catch Dorado, yellow fin tuna, white marlin, ect.

Good Luck