PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

chirish
10-02-2009, 02:14 AM
New to Calgary, just wondering how Carburn is for perch or pike? Or am I better of going to Glenmore? I kinda wanna try those 2 places first before I start venturing any farther. Thanks

DarkAisling
10-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Baitfisher83 has had some luck fishing in the middle pond (the second one from the parking lot) for perch. She uses pickerel rigs and worms, right off the bottom.

There is a forum member who has caught pike in the first pond. I don't remember who that was though, off the top of my head.

nicemustang
10-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Welcome to the board. Pretty sure there is a small amount of pike in both, can't say which would be better. I would think that you'd be spending a lot of time practicing your cast. Perch fishing in carburn is decent on given days, perch can be finicky sometimes. You could also try chestermere for pike. It can be ok there, either near the north side damn, south side wier, and south side inlet canal.

Sundancefisher
10-02-2009, 08:59 AM
I will get you our to Lake Sundance for sure this winter...

Our average size after netting 32000 perch this year has gone to 7.5 inches from a low of 5.5 inches. Most of that is probably just summery growth. Still catching tons of perch... Biggest yesterday was a couple at about 10 inches.

slingshotz
10-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Carburn is a lot better than Glenmore. I've gotten a nice pike out of the third pond (closest to Glenmore Trail) and it's a lot easier to cover the smaller bodies of water if one location isn't fishing well.

Plus the option is there to chuck stuff into the Bow if the ponds are not producing.

chirish
10-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the info..... goin fishing now. I let you guys/gals know how I made out and where I ended up.

chirish
10-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Went to Glenmore yesterday and threw spoons for a good 2 hours. Not a single bite. Today I went to Carburn and walked the whole pond (the big pond) casting spoons and pickerel rigs with worms. Couple nibbles on the worms but no takers. I don't think i'll end up going to either place again. Just might end up having to drive to Pine Coulee or Crawling Valley tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

DarkAisling
10-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Any other suggestions?

Yes: don't give up on Carburn so quickly ;)

You could try Chestermere. There are both perch and pike in there, I believe.

jts1
10-03-2009, 10:11 PM
I fish Carburn all winter. Its nice to be able to spend a few hrs there after work or not drive an hr. There are perch in there yes. But there will be nothing to size to speak of besides the odd one. LOL I have fished it so much I know the depths of every foot of that lil pond. Its fun in the winter , you can see everything below if you are in a ice cube. The problem with Carburn is its a small fishery If people started to fish regularly and kept there catch it would last about 2 weeks and be fished out. The third pond is open to the Bow and will hold anything you can find in the Bow. Even I am not sure on the regs as it was not always part of the Bow but was washed out and now has a very small outlet on the Bow. So be sure to find out before hand. I have never heard of anything in the first pond It is real shallow and will freeze solid in the winter and kill anything in it. But I am sure the odd guys puts his Pike in there from time to time. I have never fished it in the summer , would like to keep it just a hard water thing , wouldn't think it is great from my point of view. Here are a few from Carburn from last winter. A lot like PCR they all the same size. I got prob 100 perch last season but them lil guys are real hard to hook there wouldn't waist time in the summer. A small wet fly , split shot and a maggot are what I use in the winter under a small bobber for perch.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj253/jts1_album/Carburn%20Park/