PDA

View Full Version : Ice Shack Heating Help

jrcw
10-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I've built a 5 x 8 foot ice shack with a 7 foot ceiling.It's plywood with foam board insulation in the floor, walls, and ceiling. It has two 1 foot square double-pane windows and 2 x 6 foot 3/4 inch plywood door. I put four 10 inch holes in the floor. I'm struggling to decide on how to heat this thing. I planned on using a propane heater. I figured that even with the insulation a Coleman style 3000 BTU propane heater that runs off disposable 1lb cylinders would be too small. I thought I'd found my heater when I discovered the Mr. Heater 'Buddy' heaters with 4000-9000 BTU. I was planning on hooking it up to a 20lb tank with a line run through the shack's wall. Unfortunately, some Google searching turned up a LOT of bad reviews. Apparently cold weather can cause issues with propane's reliability. As much as I didn't want to go with a wood stove (space and convenience issues) it looks like it would be the most efficient and reliable. I don't know where I could find a stove small enough though. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Albertadiver
10-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I have a Big Buddy heater for mine, with the adapter to fit the big propane bottle. LOVE IT.

Get a carbon monoxide detector though, and make sure you have some fresh air ventilation. I put in a standard residential floor grille in my shack and it works great.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24357

Ran mine all last winter in -30 and lower, no problems. Slept overnight in my shack twice too.

deanmc
10-02-2009, 09:41 PM
http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=42&id=22

I have this heater for my 6X6 tent. I have a floor with 4 10 inch holes for it. I have used it @ -21 with a strong wind. I think it would be lots to heat your insulated shack.

I find that with small bottles in cold weather I am only able to use 3/4 of each bottle. I now use a 20 lb with adapter and keep the bottle in the tent. If I had to carry a wood heater and firewood i likely would fish much less.

jts1
10-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Small and cheep This just might be a good buy for you.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Ice-Fishing-Ice-Shack-Wood-Burining-Stove-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ157314363

jrcw
10-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. deanmc I really like that heater of yours. I've them before but never in a store. Where did you get yours and how much was it? Does it actually work for cooking?

The Fish King
10-03-2009, 02:11 AM
I had a shack similar to yours and bought a cheap 60 buck wood stove from peavey mart. Worked great! Simple to install and its kinda nice sitting in shorts when its minus 40 outside

tbone616
10-03-2009, 03:12 AM
Or if your feeling ambitious you can make your own for cheap.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/matthews78.html

deanmc
10-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the replies. deanmc I really like that heater of yours. I've them before but never in a store. Where did you get yours and how much was it? Does it actually work for cooking?

I bought it at home hardware last year on sale and I think it was 89.99 but my memory is one of my weaknesses:ashamed:

I built a nice wooden box that doubles as a seat, holds a frying pan and some condiments and utensils but i have never actually tried to cook with it yet.

calgarygringo
10-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Get the Big Buddy heater. We have used one for several years now and no problems. Our shack is about the same size and we can fish comfortable at -25 anytime. Some of the Buddy issues you read about were in there early models. Hook it into your 20 lb bottle and go fishing.

nayrsmith
10-03-2009, 11:37 AM
I bought this heater from princess auto last year and it worked great. http://www.princessauto.com/farm/heating/propane-heaters/8213621-tank-top-heater?keyword=propane+heater
The stand on the bottom broke on me though, but the propane bottle fits perfectly inside of a milk crate.

slingshotz
10-03-2009, 11:57 AM
I bought it at home hardware last year on sale and I think it was 89.99 but my memory is one of my weaknesses:ashamed:

I built a nice wooden box that doubles as a seat, holds a frying pan and some condiments and utensils but i have never actually tried to cook with it yet.

I was trying to find that heater/cooker last year with no luck. Which home hardware did you find it at? Gonna have to starting looking soon.

tbiddy
10-03-2009, 09:56 PM
We would use the sunflower type heater that you put on a 20lb bottle. You would have to peel down to a t-shirt it would get so warm in the shack. We would keep all the necessities for cooking in the shack, flip the sunflower down and use it to cook with.

jrcw
10-03-2009, 10:14 PM
tbiddy - are you talking about the mr. heater style one that deanmc has (see link above)? do you run a hose thru your shack wall or have the cylinder inside?

tbiddy
10-03-2009, 10:26 PM
tbiddy - are you talking about the mr. heater style one that deanmc has (see link above)? do you run a hose thru your shack wall or have the cylinder inside?

It would look more like this one :http://www.princessauto.com/farm/hea...propane+heater

It just screws onto the valve on the 20lb tank, so the tank stays in the shack. You should be able to flip it down so it is lying flat, put a frying pan on top and cook away. Make sure to crack a window and a carbon monoxide detector is a great idea.

deanmc
10-04-2009, 07:36 AM
I was trying to find that heater/cooker last year with no luck. Which home hardware did you find it at? Gonna have to starting looking soon.

It was here in Whitecourt.

A friend has a tank top model it works great too.

JBALL
10-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I have a mr. Buddy and It works great check out Peavey Mart the have it on sale Quite a bit.

Paul C
10-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Be careful when putting propane inside. There is a lot of gas station operaters that do not have certification to tanks. When the tank is overfilled and put into a warm area the vent will open bleed propane. Since most heaters are on top of the tank while ice fishing there is chance for explosion.
Next time you get your 20lb. tank filled ask for the operators filling ticket.
Recently featured on discover channel was video of an illegal station that blew up while he was filling a tank.
High btu heater will use up oxygen in a small space quickly. Always have the heater located near a fresh air intake.
B149.2 says all propane vessels must be transported outside. It makes me wonder why all of those high rises have propane barbacues.
Last year a gas station operator was ordered by the goverment to remove his filling station because of complaints of over filling tanks.
Ice Fish Safely:D

Walleyes
10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Do it right man when you do it.. Go to Peavy Mart or WWS and get a nice little airtight, some stove pipe and a damper, little bit of tin for a heat shield and you got a heater. One that works and will keep you in a T-shirt regardless of the weather outside. A bag of wood from the gas station and your good for 3 - 4 outings..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/IMG_1692.jpg

jrcw
10-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I have to admit there are things about propane heat in the ice shack that worry me a little. I've heard that if you put your bottle outside your shack the cold can cause problems with your heater inside. But keeping your bottle inside just doesn't seem like a good idea. I have a regular household floor vent installed at the top of my 5x8 shack. I'm hoping that will do it. I'm also planning on installing a Carbon Monoxide detector, but I'm not sure how much I should trust one. I would think that the air from under the shack coming in from your fishing holes should help too (?). I've also seen people refill 1lb disposable bottles off of a 20lb tank. I'd love to be able to do that...as long as I didn't blow myself up in the process!

Albertadiver
10-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Awesome shack Walleyes!

As for me, my shack is truck-portable. Kinda tough to carry by hand but could be done I spose.

Here's some pics for proof. I keep the propane outside in -30C all night (slept overnight) with zero problems.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_3733.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_3729.jpg

Paul C
10-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I like those custom ice shacks. When using propane you should have a permanet fresh air intake located close to the heat source as possible. A co safety device is a good idea but there will be nuisance alarms.
Here is the medical symptons of CO exposure.
1. sudden change of emotions; going from happy to mad.
2. the feeling of somebody pinching your nose.
3. wanting to fall asleep.
4. bleeding nose.
5. hard to think clearly.
I seen lots of shacks that use propane for heat but only prop the door open for fresh air. A permanet tamper proof intake close to heater works well.
:D Happy Fishin :D

slingshotz
10-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I've also seen people refill 1lb disposable bottles off of a 20lb tank. I'd love to be able to do that...as long as I didn't blow myself up in the process!

I ordered mine from Cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat20079-cat280027&id=0013259512325a&navCount=2&podId=0013259&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat280027&hasJS=true and have refilled a bunch of 1lb bottles many times without any issues. The first time I did it, it felt very wrong and dangerous somehow but it's actually really simple and easy to follow. There's been hundreds of people refilling the bottle and there hasn't been any problems yet. Just use common sense, if the bottle is dented or rusted, don't try it, etc. I hated the thought of having to throw out all those little bottles as you can go through quite a few in the hard water season.

Waxy
10-05-2009, 03:03 PM
I ordered mine from Cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat20079-cat280027&id=0013259512325a&navCount=2&podId=0013259&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat280027&hasJS=true and have refilled a bunch of 1lb bottles many times without any issues. The first time I did it, it felt very wrong and dangerous somehow but it's actually really simple and easy to follow. There's been hundreds of people refilling the bottle and there hasn't been any problems yet. Just use common sense, if the bottle is dented or rusted, don't try it, etc. I hated the thought of having to throw out all those little bottles as you can go through quite a few in the hard water season.

Interesting that the US DOT prohibits the transport of the cylinders once they've been refilled. So essentially, unless you're refilling and using them onsite, it's illegal to use them.

I don't know how they'd determine they've been refilled though. :confused:

As for heating a shack, IMHO, you can't beat a nice wood stove.

Waxy

edmontonfishing
10-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Except a heater, any idea of any other sources? Does Heated Folding Chair help?http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444330 3829&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672077&bmUID=1254843643965:confused:

Heron
10-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I wish I could weld. I think an awsome shack stove would be an 12" pipe placed upright with some legs of rebar or whatever. Flat chunk of steel on top hinged to put wood in and cook on. Smoke stack out the back near the top. 4" should do. Small vent system on the bottom front for air. Smoke would get out when putting more wood in put it would be minimal and you would not need very much wood.

decker
10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
x2 nothing like a nice wood fire o take the chill off, and the smell brings back memories as well. Do it right man when you do it.. Go to Peavy Mart or WWS and get a nice little airtight, some stove pipe and a damper, little bit of tin for a heat shield and you got a heater. One that works and will keep you in a T-shirt regardless of the weather outside. A bag of wood from the gas station and your good for 3 - 4 outings..

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/walleyes_2006/IMG_1692.jpg

jrcw
10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I'd like to go with a woodstove but I haven't been able to find a stove that's small enough. The way I have my four fishing holes cut the 5x8 ft floorspace is pretty limited. With the added necessity of a heatshield on the walls and the required space around the stove it would take up quite a bit of room. I'm wondering if with the insulation I could get away with just a 1lb disposable propane cylinder and a smaller Coleman style 3000 BTU heater. I'd hate to not have enough heat on a cold day though. Thanks for the replies!

jrs
10-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Watch princess auto for wood stoves as winter nears. I got one last year that's really nice and small. I burn little chunks of 2X4 with it and a small box of wood will last all day. Its a "great northern camp stove", chimney and legs fit inside the stove for easy transport as well. Think it was $75 or $100. I'm not sure if they'd be available anywhere else.

Paul C
10-07-2009, 05:10 PM
If you refill those small bottles and there is an accident you will liable.
What you do for yourself is your business. I certainly would not tell anybody that you are filling small bottles. Propane Gas-ch3h8 is 1.5 times heavier than air and would certainly make a explosion. There is people out there who modify gas appliances. If there is an accident in envoling modification of a gas appliance by non certfied person your insurance will be void. There was a guy a number of years modified his barbacue for nature gas. He broke supply connections by atco to hook up the stove. He did not use teflon tape and approved grease. He had a slow leak costing him money on his gas bill.
He phoned atco to complain about high charges on his gas bill.
Atco went to his home to find the leak and noticed all of the pipe connected to his barbacue. Atco repaired the leak and sent the bill to him.He was also charged under the gas code.

Paul C
10-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Interesting that the US DOT prohibits the transport of the cylinders once they've been refilled. So essentially, unless you're refilling and using them onsite, it's illegal to use them.

I don't know how they'd determine they've been refilled though. :confused:

As for heating a shack, IMHO, you can't beat a nice wood stove.

Waxy
I hear what you are saying. There needs to be exclusion for moving bottles on the outside of your vechile. The only bottles that are approved for trans port are the small ones. I would like the govermnet to approve filling of those bottles at a approved filling station. It would save all that waste going into the dump.:(

WayneChristie
10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Except a heater, any idea of any other sources? Does Heated Folding Chair help?http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444330 3829&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672077&bmUID=1254843643965:confused:

if its from Crappy tire it will either not work more than once, or set your tail on fire!!! odds are :lol:
get some of the duct insulation made of foil bubble wrap (OK thats what it looks like) cut a piece big enough to cover your chair, seat and back, and it will keep you just as warm and the batteries will never die on you.
I have leftovers from doing my ductwork, so I duct taped a couple layers on the bottom of my 5 gallon ice fishing pail, so I can flip it over and use it for a seat. padding and heat both for free. and it works great.

Waxy
10-08-2009, 09:04 AM
I would like the govermnet to approve filling of those bottles at a approved filling station. It would save all that waste going into the dump.:(

That's why I bought one of the "propane trees" for camping.

I'm not comfortable refilling the small bottles, and they can't be recycled. It just didn't seem right to me to be tossing 2 or 3 metal propane cylinders into the garbage every weekend. Not to mention, it isn't cheap.

This way, I just use one 20lb'er for all my camping stuff. Cheaper, just as convenient, and WAY more environmentally friendly.

Waxy

Sundancefisher
10-08-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.cnmonline.co.uk/Thermotube-Tubular-Heater-1ft-60watt-pr-16969.html

There must be other low wattage heaters. I have found a candle worked for me in the past so anything will bring the temp up over zero... especially in a black tent.

This looks good if you could plug it into a 60 watt power source.

As for a 60 watt power source...how about hooking this on to your shack?

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-50044-60-Watt-Solar-Charging/dp/B000CIADLG

You can buy these at Cajun Tire.

I have heard that the newer technology in solar panels allows for much better power generation in cloudy weather. One would have to see how this works but if you could combine the two as shown above...would that not provide safe and reliable power but also renewable...save money on filling propane bottles. In a blizzard or if fishing outside daylight hours you would still need an alternative power source. If fishing during daylight...something along these lines...maybe not these exact product to me would seem to be the bomb! :D

Cheers

Sun

jrcw
10-08-2009, 05:23 PM
It's funny that this thread has expanded to solar power because figuring out a way to intsall lights in my shack was next on my to-do list. I've considered the solar option, but for the size and budget of the shack I'm not sure it's feasible. I just need to provide some lighting for when the shack gets used at night. I'd rather not use a noisy gas lantern and I'd prefer to not be continually going throgh batteries though. I like the candles idea but I'm not sure they'd throw enough light (the added heat would be nice though). Decisions, decisions...

calgarygringo
10-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Do as we do and you get the best of it all.
Use the big buddy heater with a 20 lb tank on the outside (Mounted to the outside of course). You can go direct or put a t connector and use the buddy for heating and take the bar b que and hook on the other side for steak dinner, burger or hook up your coleman stove as well. On the inside we take one of our rv batteries out of the trailer and put it inside the shack. We have 4 double rv lights inside, run a little battery powered tv, and run the fish tv. We fish all day and in the evenings and have the best of it all. Have never run out of juice yet. We also have a little 12v computer type fan on the ceiling to blow the hot air down and is almost silent as well....

jrcw
10-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Calgarygringo I like the sound of that set-up! Do you have any pics of it? How did you hook your lights to your battery?

calgarygringo
10-08-2009, 07:03 PM
We had a bunch of brown electrical cord but you don't need to go as heavy duty. Put the battery out of the way on the floor. Then put a double light right in the centre of the roof, then one over each side on the from where the holes are so you can see what you are doing. Make a junction on the roof coming from the battery and the other lights and also have a line going in front of you on the wall. On the wall we have a couple of shelves with the fish tv mounted and the small battery powered tv. Wire the fan in oh the roof junction as well. When it all is together it is real slick. We just leave everything in the shack and have a small electric winch mounted on the front just like a boat trailer for loading. we actually used a boat winch until last year. get home park it and before you go put on the charger the day before and away you go. Lots of light at night, cooking heater, Bar b and coleman stove for cooking if we need. Every one laughs at first until it is minus 25 and dark and see us eating a home cooked meal watching tv in our shirtsleeves.

Paul C
10-09-2009, 04:37 PM
We had a bunch of brown electrical cord but you don't need to go as heavy duty. Put the battery out of the way on the floor. Then put a double light right in the centre of the roof, then one over each side on the from where the holes are so you can see what you are doing. Make a junction on the roof coming from the battery and the other lights and also have a line going in front of you on the wall. On the wall we have a couple of shelves with the fish tv mounted and the small battery powered tv. Wire the fan in oh the roof junction as well. When it all is together it is real slick. We just leave everything in the shack and have a small electric winch mounted on the front just like a boat trailer for loading. we actually used a boat winch until last year. get home park it and before you go put on the charger the day before and away you go. Lots of light at night, cooking heater, Bar b and coleman stove for cooking if we need. Every one laughs at first until it is minus 25 and dark and see us eating a home cooked meal watching tv in our shirtsleeves.
Nice idea for wiring. How ever I would put the battery outside of the tent because battery vents hydrogen gas which is a fire hazard with propane heater in the tent. I saw one guy last year wire up Christmas lights on the frame of his tent. Now thats cool !!!!:evilgrin:
Cheers:)

deanmc
10-09-2009, 08:57 PM
It's funny that this thread has expanded to solar power because figuring out a way to intsall lights in my shack was next on my to-do list. I've considered the solar option, but for the size and budget of the shack I'm not sure it's feasible. I just need to provide some lighting for when the shack gets used at night. I'd rather not use a noisy gas lantern and I'd prefer to not be continually going throgh batteries though. I like the candles idea but I'm not sure they'd throw enough light (the added heat would be nice though). Decisions, decisions...

I carry a coleman lantern. It creates a lot of heat as well.

calgarygringo
10-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Yes. one thing I did not mention with all the propane stuff and batteries make sure you allow for good ventilation. If you do all will be fine.

Paul C
10-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Yes. one thing I did not mention with all the propane stuff and batteries make sure you allow for good ventilation. If you do all will be fine.
When venting for propane it is a good idea to make a permanet fresh air intake. A lot of shacks are using a door as a fresh air intake. I highly would recommend a fresh air intake close to the appliance. This will reduce the chance of shack air being used. An upper vent in the shack to remove combustion exhaust as well. Carbon Monoxide-Co is tasteless and oderless gas.:sick: Be Careful

Off in the Bushes
10-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I like those custom ice shacks. When using propane you should have a permanet fresh air intake located close to the heat source as possible. A co safety device is a good idea but there will be nuisance alarms.
Here is the medical symptons of CO exposure.
1. sudden change of emotions; going from happy to mad.
2. the feeling of somebody pinching your nose.
3. wanting to fall asleep.
4. bleeding nose.
5. hard to think clearly.
I seen lots of shacks that use propane for heat but only prop the door open for fresh air. A permanet tamper proof intake close to heater works well.
:D Happy Fishin :D

I have been poisoned to the point they where going to to sent me to Edmonton to the hyper-barick chamber to forcelfully purge the CO from your system and never had those symptoms. There is a head ache, the feeling of being sick, and really tired just like you are getting the flue.

jrcw
10-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Scary stuff! I think I may add an extra vent to my ice shack...