PDA

View Full Version : Hangingstone Grayling

JBLS
10-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Awesome day! headed out today for some fly fishing from 12:30-4:30 on the hangingstone (south of Fort Mac) and landed 22 grayling! Must have had 30 other hits too. Fish were very small (most 6-8") but did get a few in the 10-12" range.

Sundancefisher
10-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Awesome day! headed out today for some fly fishing from 12:30-4:30 on the hangingstone (south of Fort Mac) and landed 22 grayling! Must have had 30 other hits too. Fish were very small (most 6-8") but did get a few in the 10-12" range.

I always loved fishing that river.

Very pretty...even with all the bugs LOL

JBLS
10-04-2009, 01:18 PM
I always loved fishing that river.

Very pretty...even with all the bugs LOL

No bugs out yesterday, it was only 6 degrees! One plus for fishing in the cold weather...

tchow
10-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Awesome !! Just got back from the Mac and did not have any chance to fish the Hangingstone for Grayling. How far is that from the Airport?
Did get the opportunity to try the Clearwater in town with no luck. Then headed North on the 63 at the Bridge to Nowhere.
Fished where the Muskeg flowed into the Athabasca. Water was shallow, clear and had some flow to it. There was a hole about 3-4 ft deep and some Eyes were holding in it. Managed to catch a few Eyes and one Pike that was about 7 lbs. Locals suggested not to consume anything due to Murcury and Dioxins in that watershed stemming from the Tar Sands ?

ChrisRenaud
10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Awesome !! Just got back from the Mac and did not have any chance to fish the Hangingstone for Grayling. How far is that from the Airport?
Did get the opportunity to try the Clearwater in town with no luck. Then headed North on the 63 at the Bridge to Nowhere.
Fished where the Muskeg flowed into the Athabasca. Water was shallow, clear and had some flow to it. There was a hole about 3-4 ft deep and some Eyes were holding in it. Managed to catch a few Eyes and one Pike that was about 7 lbs. Locals suggested not to consume anything due to Murcury and Dioxins in that watershed stemming from the Tar Sands ?

You could eat a few fish from the athabasca without much worry i would say.. to bad you werent up when the flow was higher we pulled a pike out of the muskeg right where you were fishing that went close to 13 pounds, had part of its gill arch showing

JBLS
10-05-2009, 12:12 AM

Hangingstone is only ~35km from the airport.
Bridge to nowhere seems to be a good spot for sure, i have seen some huge walleye and pike come out of there.

Also, down past the water treatment plant in town is a pretty good spot if your looking for something close/in town.

Fishing regs say not to eat more then 75g of walleye a week due to mercury content. The clearwater is supposed to be fine, however i would want to go upstream a while to make sure the fish didnt come from athabasca because in-town its only a few hundred meters from where it enters the atha, so the fish could have come from the athabasca??

tchow
10-05-2009, 04:59 PM
You could eat a few fish from the athabasca without much worry i would say.. to bad you werent up when the flow was higher we pulled a pike out of the muskeg right where you were fishing that went close to 13 pounds, had part of its gill arch showing

I wished I had more time than was allotted. Wanted to fish other places such as Hangingstone and Texaco pond for the Trout.
Forgot to mention, the first outing was at Clearwater. Where they launch off the Jet Boat and have some planes parked on the river. I was working a Jig to cover off some water. I ended hooking into what seemed to be a snag. It let loose and Jig came in with some weight. Jig was entangled with a line and on the end of it was a Pickeral Rig. I grabbed on to the Pickeral Rig and the line attached and pulled it in. To my amazement, it was a matching Rod and Reel. After I got all the water out, I took off the Spool. There was no rust anywhere and my guess that it would have been in the water for no more than a day or so. Another guy came down to fish and he had the exact Rod and Reel. I told him what my catch of the day was and had a good laugh..

catnthehat
10-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Although I didn't get a chance to this year, I usually fish the house and hanging stone Rivers often in the late summer.
I've been watching the Hanging Stone this year and it looks like it's really good this year for water levels.
As far as fish from the Clearwater and Athabasca, those fish can be in either river at any time of the year.
Fish that were tagged in lake Athabasca have been caught up at Mountain Rapids on the Athabasca and at green tree on the Clkarwater.

Cat

the5chord
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Anyone fishing these rivers this year?