PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on the BOW

dmartinez
06-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi everyone, first time i posted, but I am glad to say i enjoy the info here. Anyways on to fishing. I plan on camping this weekend at the Bow Valley campground. Hopefully getting a site on the river, anyways, at this time of year

I assume that trout and whitefish are what are running right now?

With the river as high as it is, would spoon, spinner or fly be best?

This question is different, but where would I find a listing of fishing tournaments coming up this year here in central, southern Alberta?

Any info would be great. Thanks

Scott N
06-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I don't fish that part of the Bow very often, but you're right, there are mostly brown trout and whitefish in that section. Spoons, spinners, or nymphs will all work. The best tip I can give you is to try and fish the river as deep as possible. If you are flyfishing, you'll want to make sure that your nymphs are bouncing along the bottom. Look for seams in the current and fish those areas. Also look for tail out areas after riffles where the water slows and gets a little deeper. When the water is this high the fish are sometimes very tight (like with in a few feet) to the bank, seeking shelter from the river's current. Good luck!

bobalong
06-28-2007, 04:09 PM
www.gowalleye.com
and check under the tournaments link

dmartinez
07-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Well, that was a bust, campground was full on Thursday. did get to Sibbald though. Nice camping, stocked lake:cry: Small rainbow, got a few hits, lost alot of tackle on the shore. Other than that a good time. first time fishing for the Brother in law, loved it and now wants to get into it. (ya another convert!)

Time to buy a boat and trailer. Need to get out more. thanks for the tips and the info btw.

TreeGuy
07-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Hey dmartinez! Next time you go out to Sibbald try this spot.

Take your second left past the turn off to the provincial rifle range. It's after the interpretive forrest. Down that road (stay left at the fork) there is a trailhead. I did a clearance job for 'Inside Education' eary this spring.

Go over the bank to the bridge. The bridge is over a good pool the we watched MANY trout from. Upstream of the bridge is a fantastic looking pool also. It is the headwaters of the Jumping Pound. There are many good trout to be caught there.

One note.....there is a fairly large boar Grizz that calls that place his home so heads up. Also it is full of wolves. The fishing will be great, but be safe!

Tree