PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy or Eskimo Ice Augers

Stella
10-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Looking at getting a new ice auger. Was wondering what peoples preferences are out there. And any advice on a good place to buy them from? Am a little partial to Jiffy but have been hearing good things about Eskimo, so i am a little undecided right now.

Thanks.

nicemustang
10-05-2009, 04:29 PM
For what its worth, I got an eskimo 8" from Costco a couple years back for $209 for xmas from the wife (I picked it out obviously). It was half the price of a jiffy at the time. Being the first power auger I've owned, didn't know what to expect. But 3 winters later it still runs strong. Starts first pull, lots of power, never fails me, even at -35 -40. I'm very happy with it, especially how easy it starts.

CMMahy
10-05-2009, 04:59 PM
I've got the 10" Jiffy Stealth STX, bought new last year around this time. Only let me down once, a no start @ -36 before it was fully broken in, otherwise it's been running like a champ. I bought it over the Eskimo because I wasn't to thrilled about all the plastic on the Eskimo and the cable throttle set up they use. Looks like it could freeze up, but don't know if they actually do.

Just my personal preference, sounds like they all make holes in the ice, pick the one with the features you like in a price range you can afford and have fun!

Also, last year Canadian tire put all their augers on sale at the end of November for $100 off. Luckily, mine was still in the box (christmas present), and was able to get the discount on mine.

fluxcore
10-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Ive used both and found the jiffy to hold higher RPMs and runs way smother while cutting that being said an eskimo does get the job done and can be usually found cheaper. If I had the extra coin I would definiatly go for the jiffy

Kyle
10-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I've got the 10" Jiffy Stealth STX, bought new last year around this time. Only let me down once, a no start @ -36 before it was fully broken in, otherwise it's been running like a champ. I bought it over the Eskimo because I wasn't to thrilled about all the plastic on the Eskimo and the cable throttle set up they use. Looks like it could freeze up, but don't know if they actually do.

Just my personal preference, sounds like they all make holes in the ice, pick the one with the features you like in a price range you can afford and have fun!

Also, last year Canadian tire put all their augers on sale at the end of November for $100 off. Luckily, mine was still in the box (christmas present), and was able to get the discount on mine.

x2, got the same auger..great product. Try and stick with Jiffy, less plastic, and a great auger.

cribfisher
10-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I bought an eskimo a few seasons ago and it is great. I went with eskimo because 3 key points. First they are cheaper. Second after doing a lot of research they seem to have the best customer service. Third the auger on eskimo is 6" longer than jiffy which dosn't seem like much but more than once has saved me from having to buy an extention. I also like the fact they manufacture their own engines which is most likely why they have the best customer service.

camshaft
10-05-2009, 09:47 PM
If u dont need one right away, I would wait and see the new solo augers by strikemaster. They have gone away from techumseh motors and will be using a proven reliable german made motor. Lots of people have had raved about these new augers....do a search.
2 year warranty and lighter weight than their predesessors. The heaviest 3hp 10" model is only 29lbs.

Also look at the icegator.....lots of people on the us sites are using it and have great things to say. I only wish I knew someone that had one or their was a retailer up in canada somewhere.

Penner
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Jiffy & Eskimo = Old Technology. In my mind most of the time you get what you pay for and if you ice fish a lot like myself, do yourself (and your back) a favour invest in quality machine that will last forever. Have had my Husqavarna for 2 full years now will never look at a Jiffy or Eskimo ever again.

fluxcore
10-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Jiffy & Eskimo = Old Technology. In my mind most of the time you get what you pay for and if you ice fish a lot like myself, do yourself (and your back) a favour invest in quality machine that will last forever. Have had my Husqavarna for 2 full years now will never look at a Jiffy or Eskimo ever again.
I've used a 14 year old model 30 jiffy that cut through the ice like nothing :D Im impressed with the OLD technology its proven (2years:lol:) Ill stick with jiffy. back gets sore with a powered auger:lol:

Izumi
10-06-2009, 05:52 PM

I'm not sure what is so high tech about the Husqvarna.

2-Stoke engine, carb.. sounds like the same technology as both the Eskimo and Jiffy if you ask me. You make it sound the Husqvarna has a 4 stroke with EFI and DOHC or something.. :rolleyes:

CoyoteChallenger
10-06-2009, 05:58 PM
For what its worth, I got an eskimo 8" from Costco a couple years back for $209 for xmas from the wife (I picked it out obviously). It was half the price of a jiffy at the time. Being the first power auger I've owned, didn't know what to expect. But 3 winters later it still runs strong. Starts first pull, lots of power, never fails me, even at -35 -40. I'm very happy with it, especially how easy it starts.

Same with mine. Great Auger!!

bingo1010
10-06-2009, 06:04 PM
only bad thing with the jiffy because it spins so fast is it likes to fill your boots with water if you aren't careful. the eskimo turns slower and doesn't seem to pull up near the water.

wildman
10-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey dude. Jiffys RULE!!! I hear Eskimos are good too like everything you get what you pay for!! Cheaper is cheaper. If you're on a limited budget you're probably fine with an Eskimo but personally I think the last thing you want is to be out there and miss out due to B-rated equipment. Good luck!!! Hope you get a gooder!! Cheers, gw

theduke
10-06-2009, 11:05 PM

i have te same one great auger, my buddy has a jiffy lighting its just as goos half the size and does everything it does

Penner
10-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure what is so high tech about the Husqvarna.

2-Stoke engine, carb.. sounds like the same technology as both the Eskimo and Jiffy if you ask me. You make it sound the Husqvarna has a 4 stroke with EFI and DOHC or something.. :rolleyes:

Well if you think just because two augers utilize carbureted engines the technology is the same then I can understand your position. :rolleyes: But just for starters the Husqvarna power unit weigh’s only 13lbs which is like 1/2 the weight of a Jiffy Legend, it drills a 10” drill roughly at the same speed using a 1/3 of the horsepower, the engine and trany are constructed of aluminum, takes up about 1/2 the space as it is way more compact, and even the drill attachment is lighter in weight (I’d guess by roughly a third). Oh yeah and the most important difference is that I won’t be stuck on the lake looking and swearing at my auger trying to figure out why it won’t drill or start and then be walking into my local small engine repair shop continually buying replacement parts. :mad2:

I have owned two different Jiffy augers. The first one was a Legend the other was a Model 30 and I had them for a number of years and had problems with both. An auger is something that is used only periodically. It’s not like a vehicle that’s used every day. So it should last a long time but mine did not. I’m sure there are guys that have had the same jiffy auger for years. I’ll admit I’m no mechanic but you can ask any small engine repair shop (the actual experts, that’s what I did) and they will tell you straight up that Jiffy’s augers are commonly seen on their work benches. The small engine repair shop’s just love them!

I’ve never owned an Eskimo but I’ve heard they are somewhat less prone to mechanical issues but still have some, but again that’s only what I was told.

Husqvarna has been around for many years and makes a hell of a lot more than just ice augers and is a world renowned manufacture of 2-stroke engines and equipment. I’ve owned one of their chainsaws for many years and is has given me trouble free service and I buck one sh!t load of trees. I have been so impressed I now also own a grass trimmer and a weed whacker in addition to the auger and chainsaw, so far all trouble free, and easy as pie to maintain. Husqvarna they are proven no doubt it!

Once you give a Husky ice auger a test drive I’m very confident most would defect from the vast majority as my two closest fishing buddies have converted to Husky’s augers as well. Some people may be unaware but there are way better options out there for augers these days. I’d check them out at the very least.

SCRUB
10-08-2009, 09:13 AM
I just bought a Jiffy, I choose the jiffy because 95% of guys that i talked to have or have had jiffies and liked them very much, i did do some research for on others like eskimo and strikemaster and with a budget with 400 set by my accountant (wife):love: i found a used unit that didn't even look like it was used. I really didn't want any plastic on handles....etc. Jiffies are proven...IMO. But whatever you decide get out there and get some fish. Don't forget to build your self some storage boxes keeps them looking good.

gonefishin
10-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I bought an Eskimo Sting Ray 3 years ago. The 3rd time I had it on the ice, the throttle cable snapped and it took 2 months to get it back from the only warranty center in Edmonton. It worked fine the second winter, but last winter the codder pin that holds the throttle in place fell out or broke... or broke then fell out. I only got it because it was the cheapest one I could find, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Winch101
10-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I have had Jiffys for 40 yrs...Bought a 07 Mdl 30 , Had a lot of problems

Got them all fixed and sold it . Last year bought a 4 strk Strikemaster

8" Strike Lite from WSS sports , Not cheap but sweet machine

Light , clean , starts first pull , did I say Light . I know they had some problems with the 07 - 08 mdls but , this one seems to do the trick , did I mention it was light , no oil drip...Now if you ask me do I think this is built as tough as a Jiffy , definitely not , i doubt it would take those 30 mile sled
rides through the Manitoba bush bouncin around in the sled but it sure is nice to carry from the back seat of the crew cab cause its so "L----"

I will make a definite consumer review after this season W101

MikeSpike
10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Don't forget to build your self some storage boxes keeps them looking good.

Neat boxes. I drive an old suburban and have just propped it up in the back seat with a bunge cord but that is a pain. Looks like I have another must do project.

insomniac
10-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Someone mentioned Icegator and Husqvarna augers. I'll add my two-bits because I have both.

Icegator: Best electric auger out there. Very powerful but pricey and pretty heavy because of the two batteries in the powerhead. Also hard to find here (in Alberta)...

Husqvarna: I have the Normark which uses the Husqvarna engine. Runs very smooth and clean. Very light auger but uses lots of plastic and kind of pricey.

dave_ca
10-09-2009, 07:56 PM
have you guys seen the new jiffy augers. they look just like the eskimos now. mostly plastic, same throttle to. if you can find an older jiffy (last years model) go with that if you dont like plastic

bucknaked333
10-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I got a Stihl 10" auger from my wife about 5 years ago. No problems, starts easy, good parts, but they are not cheap. This summer I built a deck and needed to drill holes for posts and I rented a 8" bit and it drilled holes four feet no problem. I am happy with it..

Penner
10-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Stihl make great products also.