PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer River on the fly

smalliver
10-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I am hoping to get out on the Red Deer, near Innisfail, on the Thanksgiving weekend and I was wondering what flies are getting hit.

Sir. Kenneth
10-07-2009, 09:49 AM
I am hoping to get out on the Red Deer, near Innisfail, on the Thanksgiving weekend and I was wondering what flies are getting hit.

x2
im heading out early saturday morning, where you planning to go? I have never had much luck on the fly in there but im hoping leach & minnow patterns should work?

Penner
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Royal Coachman's right off the bottom and you'll catch Whites all day. Other nymph's work well also.

Sir. Kenneth
10-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Royal Coachman's right off the bottom and you'll catch Whites all day. Other nymph's work well also.

Would you generally fish these on a floating line with a strike indicator or with a sink tip? I'm more planning to target browns and walleye but i thought i figured i would give the whites a go to :)

smalliver
10-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I am hoping to walk in near the Innisfail Bridge. For a start....see how it is working out there.

danhunt
10-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I've never tried it down that far, but I've done OK on sculpin patterns and rabbit strip leeches further up. Check out this website for mor info on what is happening on the Red Deer right now... http://flyfishalberta.blogspot.com/

swishsmurf
10-07-2009, 03:08 PM
well i have never fished the red deer, i was thinking about floating the river from the dam to innisfail on saturday, anyone have any info on floating it? i'll be going down in my drift boat, i may have a couple extra seats available if anyone is interested in an adventure.

Penner
10-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Would you generally fish these on a floating line with a strike indicator or with a sink tip? I'm more planning to target browns and walleye but i thought i figured i would give the whites a go to :)

I've only caught the odd Brown in the Red Deer on a hopper dropper system earlier in the fall.

As for Whites either a floating line or sink tip rig will work well. Key is to mend up stream so that the presentation is natural to the fish down below. I'll use a bead headed hare's ear to get the line down to the bottom and follow that up with a Royal Coachman.

Sir. Kenneth
10-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I've only caught the odd Brown in the Red Deer on a hopper dropper system earlier in the fall.

As for Whites either a floating line or sink tip rig will work well. Key is to mend up stream so that the presentation is natural to the fish down below. I'll use a bead headed hare's ear to get the line down to the bottom and follow that up with a Royal Coachman.

I wondered about that, a friend of mine fishes the RDR a lot but mostly only has luck on the rapalas for browns. Im bringing my spinning rod too so i will try both. Thanks for the tips Penner

clouserminnow
10-08-2009, 02:37 AM
The river is pretty low right now and the shallow spots are really shallow.There is a tricky spoti f you are not prepared for it just above the mouth of the Little Red as there is a log jam on a sharp corner.

http://www.environment.alberta.ca/apps/basins/DisplayData.aspx?Type=Figure&BasinID=7&DataType=1&StationID=RLREDMOU

Just a heads up!

swishsmurf
10-08-2009, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up ! now thats what i'm talkin about....adventure! anyone up for it? ha ha hope you don't see me on the 6 o'clock news, any idea how long a float it will be from the dam to the bridge in innisfail? My girlfriend is attending a wedding in red deer i have the option wedding...or a day on the river, i'd rather be stuck in a log jam than stuck at a wedding :)

fishfun
10-08-2009, 04:14 AM
well i have never fished the red deer, i was thinking about floating the river from the dam to innisfail on saturday, anyone have any info on floating it? i'll be going down in my drift boat, i may have a couple extra seats available if anyone is interested in an adventure.
Hey swishsmurf,I've got a fly-rod and gas money and would defintely be interested in tagging along.I'd even row awhile(lol).Private message me and we can exchange numbers and take it from there.