PDA

View Full Version : help with fishing in Cuba

swampdonky75
10-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm trying to plan a trip to Cuba this winter and want to do some fly fishing when im there anyone on here with any experience down there.

Kingfisher
10-07-2009, 02:27 AM
I've been down to Cuba and fished there. It's not always the easiest place to find a guide. I had one booked before I left, but they didn't come through. It took me 2 days to get one while down there. But I managed.

If your going for fishing then stay on either the East side of the island or the south part of the island. We stayed in Cayo Coco on the east side at the Melia Cayo Coco. Nice place to stay. All inclusive just like all the places in Cuba.

I was fly fishing for bones. Those bones are some of the biggest I've caught.

What kind of fishing were you wanting to do? I will look up the name and phone number of the guide that I had if you want?

Rob

swampdonky75
10-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm looking for bones. Do you remember what it cost and it would be great if you could find the number . Thanks for your help

bobalong
10-07-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm looking for bones. Do you remember what it cost and it would be great if you could find the number . Thanks for your help

If you are going to Cayo Coco, book with Duniesky. He was booked when we were there last January, but we talked to him a few times as he launched out of the same Marina, (if you can call it that) that we launched out of. IMO he is probably the best bonefish/permit guide there, there are other guides but he is a real fly nut. If you have not booked your flights yet I would email him about the tides, as the bonefish come in on the low tide big time and you want to be there when low tide hits about 8 or 9 in the morning. We stayed at the Tryp and the guides picked you up right at the lobby in the morning. They don't supply lunch so be sure to bring your own. I believe Duniesky email is mybonefish@gmail.com. The cost is about 150.00/day per person, two guys per boat. If you are staying at the Tryp go see Emile in the Air Canada office in the resort he has Duniesky phone number as well as a lot of other guides numbers and he can hook you up. Duniesky ties his own flies, but fly tying material is really hard to get there, if you take him some fly tying material or anything fly fishing related he loves it.
There is a great flat about a 20 minute taxi ride from the Tryp as well. Tell the staff you want to go bonefishing by the old boat wreck and they will tell the taxi driver (they don't speak much english) where to drop you off. Just let the cabby know when you want to be picked up and they will pick you up. We did this three or four times and the cabby picked us up on time,every time.
Most of these pics were by the old boat wreck (which is about a mile or mile and half east of the Melia)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/Cuba127.jpg
The old boat wreck
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/IMG_2788.jpg
A guy we met from BC when we were there
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/IMG_2760.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/IMG_2734.jpg

Kingfisher
10-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Duniesky is the one who was supposed to pick me up at my hotel and didn't show up. I also heard he was the best to go with. But even after getting his home phone number and calling him he didn't come through. I ended up finding another guide and just doing a walk and wade trip. Try doing that in a foreign country that you don't speak their language. That was a bit frustrating to say the least. It was about $85 each. Which is fantastic for a day of guided fishing.

So I'd say to try Duniskey. But make sure you have a back up plan. I also tie my own flies and have some good patterns for bones in case you'd like to see some. I am in Calgary. Where are you located? How long before you go to Cuba?

http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/The-Fishn-Nuts-Flies/Salt_Water_Flies_013.jpg
Here are a few of the flies that I use for bones. The one's that I've had the best luck with are top right one and the second down on the left side. Your flies don't need to be heavy. Just use bead chain eyes. The deepest water you'll fish for the bones in will be 3 to 4 feet. But sometimes you'll only be in a foot or two of water.
http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/Pictures-from-my-Cuban-guide/Picture_035.jpg
That's me with a small bonefish
http://gallery.flybc.ca/albums/Pictures-from-my-Cuban-guide/IMG_0651_2.jpg
One of the other guys with a monster bone

The guide I used was Orlando Gonzalez Alvarez I'll give you his contact information

Orlando Alvarez
Phone (53) (33) 503339
Cell phone (53) 52811726
Email orlandofishinguide@yahoo.es

I know they look weird as far as numbers and the email address. But I coppied it right from Orlando's business card that he gave me.

As Bobalong said they don't have much as far as tying supplies. So if you bring some extra flies or some tying supplies and give them to them as part of your tip then they are very happy.

Funny things you find out about Cuba and their ways when down there. The guides are some of the most trusted people around there. Of course they have to be or they could just take their boat and zip away to Florida. It's a very good paying job for them as they get good tips. The government controls how much they get paid. But the tips they get to keep.

I sure wish I had of known about the ship wreck spot or I would have gotten a taxi and done the same thing. I've fished for bones many times and would have loved to gotten out there even without a guide. I suppose I'll just have to go back and explore some more.

Rob

Grizzly Adams
10-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Last time we were there, I noticed a sign at the airport that one of the things you couldn't leave with was fishing equipment. Not sure of the reasoning or the details, but it might be something to keep in mind if you take your expensive gear.
Grizz

swampdonky75
10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks KingFish I'm try for February going for two weeks. What should a guy bring for gear. And thanks for the tip on the flys.

Kingfisher
10-09-2009, 03:58 AM
As far as bringing fishing gear, you can bring anything you like down there. Well within reason. I use a 9'6" 8wt and I also brought another 9' 8wt. I brought along 3 reels. But I met a couple of guys from England while I was down there with 6 rods each and a dozen reels. Good thing as they busted one rod each while there.

There are tons of people that come to Cuba just for the fishing. They would never think of telling people that they can't bring their gear. Half of their tourism dollars would go down the drain.

I think next time I'll also be bringing a 9 or 10wt along too. Got to try for some of the permit and maybe even some tarpon.

We fished for some tarpon. But they were just babies in the 20lb range. 4 of us tried but none of us hooked into any. They would have put a serious bend into my 8wt.

Rob

ChubbS
10-11-2009, 10:27 AM
we went to Cuba last summer, stayed in cayo coco, we didnt get a chance to go fly fishing but the deep sea fishing was really awesome, we booked it through the resort we stayed at, caught 6 baracuda a couple of king fish, and 15 and 40 pound mahi-mahi, boat had beer for us and everything. was REALLY cheap like 150 bucks for a half day. The marlin were not in season but we did have a sail fish chase our bait for a little bit, the guide got a little excited to say the least. I dont know when the marlin are in season down there but the boat had some pictures of some pretty serious marlin in it.