PDA

View Full Version : F&W Rumor ???

notagoodtroutfisher
10-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi all,
I heard this and just wanted to know if it is true. I am not looking to make money, I was just curious.
Does Fish Wildlife offer cash rewards for phoning in poachers if they end up being prosecuted? ie: calling in bait fishers on the bow
Again, I'm just curious is all

goldscud
10-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes you can get a cash reward

notagoodtroutfisher
10-07-2009, 06:39 PM
thanks for the answer. What kind of rewards are people getting?

Sundancefisher
10-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi all,
I heard this and just wanted to know if it is true. I am not looking to make money, I was just curious.
Does Fish Wildlife offer cash rewards for phoning in poachers if they end up being prosecuted? ie: calling in bait fishers on the bow
Again, I'm just curious is all

If you catch someone and they get convicted you get a reward. Some people try and suggest it is your duty to do it and not accept any money.

My point of view is that the program is designed specifically to pay. For those that want the money or need the money or to encourage them to report this stuff, I have no problems with it and would not think less of someone that did. Some people take the money and buy a new rod or reel or donate it to a kids fishing charity.

In the end it is YOUR business and only YOUR business if you want to take a reward payment IMHO.

Therefore...regardless of what you do with the money we all applaud anyone that reports a poacher. We had 5 guys at Lake Sundance the other day killing more than their limit of trout. The lake staff caught them and they all got 6 months fishing suspension.

Just out of curiosity, who thinks 6 months is reasonable for poaching? I see it as no different than stealing a life jacket. Same price.

Rob Miskosky
10-07-2009, 06:49 PM
If you know of something illegal taking place call Report-A-Poacher at 1-800-642-3800. The money should be secondary.

DANOMAN
10-07-2009, 06:50 PM
dude the reward is your protecting the fisheries you will be fishing along with many others the bow is one of the top 10 rivers in the world as far as world class fishing there are some mean trout in there !! so thats the reward! for years to come

save a trout eat a chicken :mad:

notagoodtroutfisher
10-07-2009, 06:59 PM
dude the reward is your protecting the fisheries you will be fishing along with many others the bow is one of the top 10 rivers in the world as far as world class fishing there are some mean trout in there !! so thats the reward! for years to come

save a trout eat a chicken :mad:

And i have reported without trying to claim a reward. like it said, it was just a question. I just wasn't sure if it was true
thanks for the answers

Sundancefisher
10-07-2009, 07:05 PM
thanks for the answer. What kind of rewards are people getting?

Rewards are not high...I think I was offered $100 years ago but told them to donate it back to program...my choice. It probably depends on the situation and the infraction severity.

While one poster said it is your duty...I totally agree 100%...at the same time this program is designed to encourage the behavior. Just like it is a persons right to take a fish within their limit to eat...so is accepting this reward or not accepting this reward. Nothing stops you from accepting then donating it to under privileged kids fishing charity or Canadian Cancer Society or buying your wife a dinner to thank her for letting you fish so much or helping with the gas if you had to drive to town to report them etc.

I say do whatever you feel in your heart you want to do but never feel guilty about reporting a poacher regardless of the outcome!;)

Rob Miskosky
10-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Good job!

notagoodtroutfisher
10-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Rewards are not high...I think I was offered $100 years ago but told them to donate it back to program...my choice. It probably depends on the situation and the infraction severity.

While one poster said it is your duty...I totally agree 100%...at the same time this program is designed to encourage the behavior. Just like it is a persons right to take a fish within their limit to eat...so is accepting this reward or not accepting this reward. Nothing stops you from accepting then donating it to under privileged kids fishing charity or Canadian Cancer Society or buying your wife a dinner to thank her for letting you fish so much or helping with the gas if you had to drive to town to report them etc.

I say do whatever you feel in your heart you want to do but never feel guilty about reporting a poacher regardless of the outcome!;)

Great answer