PDA

View Full Version : Motor for my inflatable?

fishmania
10-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I need advice on a motor for my Seyvlor 9.2ft Fishfinder inflatable
I was looking at electric motors Canadian T have some on sale 32lb for $99
or a 38lb $129 or spend a bit more for a Minn Kota?

Also a local shop that rebuilds outboard motor is trying to sell me a rebuilt 2.5HP gas motor $400.Its only 26lbs a lot lighter than a electric with the battery as batteries are what about 30-35lbs alone plus the the electric motor 20lbs

Im new to all this stuff and want to make the right purchase the first time
What to get???

WayneChristie
10-08-2009, 06:02 PM
your boat operators license :)

fishmania
10-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Ya Ill be getting that too:tongue2:

Clgy_Dave2.0
10-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I need advice on a motor for my Seyvlor 9.2ft Fishfinder inflatable
I was looking at electric motors Canadian T have some on sale 32lb for $99
or a 38lb $129 or spend a bit more for a Minn Kota?

Also a local shop that rebuilds outboard motor is trying to sell me a rebuilt 2.5HP gas motor $400.Its only 26lbs a lot lighter than a electric with the battery as batteries are what about 30-35lbs alone plus the the electric motor 20lbs

Im new to all this stuff and want to make the right purchase the first time
What to get???

Go for the electric. I got the 30/30 Bass Pro motor for $99 and it works awesome. If you go Gas..then you've just limited yourself out of those "electric motor only" lakes. Plus the gas powered needs a gas tank, line etc. You cant just toss it into the back of your car. Electric by far. 32lb Canadian tire one will be more than enough power for a 9 foot inflatable. I've never gone above 3 on mine (top speed is 5)

WayneChristie
10-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Ive owned a 4 HP outboard, and now have an electric, for my canoe. I would pick the electric anyday, even if it was just for the lack of noise and pollution, it makes your time on the water just that much better.

fishmania
10-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the input guys

And Dave you have been a big help
Thank You:)

Gillfisher
10-09-2009, 05:57 AM
I would go for the gas motor myself. I have a 12 foot aluminum boat & I started with a 36lb elec motor which I used for 8 to 9 yrs. I had to quit fishing lots of times because of a dead battery because of the wind or just not charging very well. I bought a 8 horse 4 stroke tohatsu 3 seasons ago it was the best thing I ever bought. It starts first or 2nd pull every time gets me where I need to go and uses next to no fuel. I haven't used my elec motor since purchasing the tohatsu. But on the other hand an elec motor is aso nice to have for use on the lakes that do not allow gas motors & that is why I did not sell my elec.

Gillfisher

schtann
10-09-2009, 06:18 AM
I like gas too as battery's can go dead when you really don't want them too. Been there !! Or get them both and then all the base's are covered !!!!!! Have a 2 hp Johnson Seahorse (1974 ?) that still runs very good. $150 and it's yours if you are interested. Let me know. Edmonton area.

PoorTurtle
10-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I have the 38lbs motor from crappy tire and it works great. I use it on a 9ft pontoon and it runs forever.

Kingfisher
10-10-2009, 01:15 AM
I have a 13 foot Metzler inflateable. I use a 46# thrust Minn Kota Maxum electric on it. I've used 9.9 and a 6hp on it and that works fine for getting from point A to B. But if your going to do any trolling of any kind an electric will work out great. One thing to remember is that all electrics are not the same. My 46# thrust Minn Kota will last longer than my 30# thrust because it's a Maximizer model. Not to say that the Endura models that Canadian Tire sells are crap. But they just aren't as efficient as the Maximizer models.

The difference with the Maximizer models is that you have a variable speed control. Not just a 5 or 6 set position speed control. That way I can use speeds that I want in between rather than going faster or slower than I wanted. This helps make the battery last longer. Also if you go with a larger electric then it won't have to work as hard to get you to where you want to go. But if you have to get out of the wind the extra power is always welcome.

PoorTurtle that 38# must really push that 9' pontoon around great?

Just my 2 cents worth. For what it's worth.

Rob

fishmania
10-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I like gas too as battery's can go dead when you really don't want them too. Been there !! Or get them both and then all the base's are covered !!!!!! Have a 2 hp Johnson Seahorse (1974 ?) that still runs very good. $150 and it's yours if you are interested. Let me know. Edmonton area.

Hi schtann I tried to PM you about the motor
I am interested
Let me know
Thanks

pecker
10-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I have the 38lbs motor from crappy tire and it works great. I use it on a 9ft pontoon and it runs forever.

i have the minkota 30# thrust . at low trolling it will run for 5-6hrs pushing a 14 ft lund with 2 men . gotta have a good marine battery though. :wave:

ULTRAlite
10-11-2009, 08:59 PM
We have the same setup (basically) with a 32 lb thrust motor. In my mind there is no question - go electric... no stank... no noise... no fumes... no gas to worry about... don't forget about a full gas tank and lines in your weight estimate too. Shouldn't have to worry about the battery dying on ya either... we get 2 full days of fishing out of ours when we aren't fighting the wind.

What made the decision for me was watching a guy pull and pull and pull on his 9.9 horse motor, with his 2 youngins in the boat just itchin to get fishin. This went on for close to an hour before he ended up putting it on the trailer and going home. Never have to worry about that with electric. Outboards definately have their place, but on the back of a small inflatable isn't one of them.

Tuc
10-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Fish, if you go electric check the 'buy/sell fishing' forum, there are two of them on there.