PDA

View Full Version : How To Stop My Fly Reel From Freezing Up?

Sir. Kenneth
10-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Went out to fish the RDR this morning and only managed to get in about 5 casts before my fly reel froze solid! I had to keep working it every time i retrieved to keep it from freezing up. After a little while the eyes on my rod froze up too so i was unable to cast without stopping and breaking the ice off every few casts. I do know how to solve that problem, i usually bring chap stick with me and put it around the eyes which stops them from freezing up but how do i stop the reel from freezing up on me? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Rapala
10-10-2009, 02:07 PM
I have the same problems, My reel doesn't freeze but those rings(?) on my rod keeps freezing so I can't get my lines out:mad3:

Sir. Kenneth
10-10-2009, 02:34 PM
You can use chap stick, just rub it on the eyes and it stops them from freezing for the most part. You have to keep doing it every once in a while but it certainly helps

Caper28
10-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Chapstick works, although I don't like putting it on my line. Get some loon ice off paste for your line. As for the reel, I've never had a problem with my reel freezing up.

Mudslide
10-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Spray er down with a good coat of Real Magic. I bought some at Bass Pro and so far am pretty impressed. It's also supposed to be good for keeping line from freezing. Spray it on the reel, line and rod guides.

http://ttiblakemore.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=57

Paul C
10-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Went out to fish the RDR this morning and only managed to get in about 5 casts before my fly reel froze solid! I had to keep working it every time i retrieved to keep it from freezing up. After a little while the eyes on my rod froze up too so i was unable to cast without stopping and breaking the ice off every few casts. I do know how to solve that problem, i usually bring chap stick with me and put it around the eyes which stops them from freezing up but how do i stop the reel from freezing up on me? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
The quickest way to remove ice build up is to put the whole rod and reel in the water your are fishing. Shake off the drippings and you are ready to go.
Cheers:D

fishpro
10-11-2009, 01:06 AM
The quickest way to remove ice build up is to put the whole rod and reel in the water your are fishing. Shake off the drippings and you are ready to go.
Cheers:D

Be careful dipping the reel in the water though, I've done that and it fills the reel with water and it will all freeze up. It works for me for the rod guides, but has caused trouble with the reels.

Sir. Kenneth
10-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, i think i will go pick up some of that reel magic sometime this week and see how that works. Will post my results after use.

Thanks again for the help,

Ken