PDA

View Full Version : Perch fishing Party...who is interested?

Sundancefisher
10-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Just thinking out loud... If I could organize a perch fishing party...how many people could come?

I could provide the fishing and everyone provides their own fishing gear

I could provide the fire pit and wood for a hotdog roasting luncheon. Maybe have some people bring some potluck game and fish to try. BYO FOOD and drink

Could someone provide a portable deepfryer? If someone brings batter, I have an extension cord and power and I can probably provide the perch :evilgrin:

I can even through in a slab of frozen halibut for the person that catches the most perch.

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Sun

The Fisherman Guy
10-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Sounds like fun, Sun...Pardon the pun. (couldn't resist)

I can provide a turkey deep fryer for the fish fry, and the oil. I am lousy at catching perch, I would like a chance to get out to Sundance and meet a few forum members.

Please let me know, and I will be there with my fryer!

portwein
10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Great idea! Perch ice fishing is my favorite one. I'd like to participate.

Geezle
10-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a fun idea for a get together :)

I'd make the drive down for a day of perch and meeting some other AO members for sure :wave:

slickinfinite
10-14-2009, 05:53 PM
I would love to get to catch some perch count me in and thank you for takin the time to put this all together.

rxxxm22
10-14-2009, 06:16 PM
sounds great!....I would like to come with my two grandkids....ty
Grampa and the gkids

jinx
10-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Sounds like fun!!!!

Jinx

jts1
10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Wonderful idea , I would be there. Love a little friendly competition. I have not out fished Steve in a while :evilgrin:

npauls
10-14-2009, 07:08 PM
I might be in for that. It will be closing in on the due date for the little guy we are expecting so it might be iffy. But I love ice fishing for perch and It would give me an excuse to get out of the house.

Nate

SuCraM
10-14-2009, 07:33 PM
I am game would love to catch some perch. Finally got into some last hardwater season thanks to jts1. Hope this turns out and cant wait to meet some of you guys and gals.

baitfisher83
10-14-2009, 07:41 PM
i'll be there if i can get there...depends on when too

Sandalius
10-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah I'm in - but depending on when it is :D

Wonderful idea , I would be there. Love a little friendly competition. I have not out fished Steve in a while :evilgrin:

It's been to long since you got your azz handed to you on a platter ( remember the last 10ft apart episode :lol::lol: ) What's the matter Jeff are you getting tired of your wife out fishing you all the time :o:o and you want someone else to do it :lol: Your such a nice husband for thinking of her first and giving her a rest :lol:

DarkAisling
10-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Son #1 and I are game. We'll pick up Baitfisher on the way, too (if she's available and needs a ride).

Sundancefisher
10-14-2009, 08:15 PM
It is sounding like enough interest...

Come late November...make sure I don't forget...

I hope to see you all then :wave:

baitfisher83
10-14-2009, 08:29 PM
i'm not seeing that he said ice fishing..lol not that it matters cause i would go for that too

BobLoblaw
10-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Sounds good to me; would be nice to meet some of y'all!

romel
10-15-2009, 08:22 AM
I would love to join for little fun fishing & meet friends from AO. Just wondering about "own gear" will regular fishing rod will be ok? Never been to ice fishing, what exactly I need to join the perch party :) help!!!

Geezle
10-15-2009, 08:32 AM
I would love to join for little fun fishing & meet friends from AO. Just wondering about "own gear" will regular fishing rod will be ok? Never been to ice fishing, what exactly I need to join the perch party :) help!!!

I'm assuming all you'll need as far as gear goes would really be a rod/reel and a couple jigs or whatever they're using for the perchies out there.

If you don't have an ice fishing rod, they're not very expensive, and you can just take the reel from your regular rod and put it on the ice rod :)

fishing_flower
10-15-2009, 08:59 AM
This sounds like a lot of fun. :D We ended up missing the last get together, so will be nice to meet some of the members.

PoorTurtle
10-15-2009, 09:03 AM
I would love to come down there for the day. I could fill my truck up with some Edmonton boys if anyone is interested from here. (6 guys comfortable)

Keep us posted Sundance

ericlin0122
10-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Sounds like a great idea! I would like to join. :)

Winch101
10-15-2009, 03:58 PM
For sure and the Dodger .....

Sundancefisher
10-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Now we just need it make into a TV fishing show episode.

This is an article on fishing at Lake Sundance...about as comprehensive as we can provide.

http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/How%20to%20Successfully%20Catch%20Yellow%20Perch%2 0Article%20Update.pdf

This is the lake study on our perch problem...

http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/Status%20of%20Yellow%20Perch%20in%20Lake%20Sundanc e%20and%20the%20Effects%20on%20Rainbow%20Trout%20F ishing.pdf

From May to July, 2009, 32,000 perch or 3,200 pounds of perch has been removed just by netting. I suspect close to 100 perch on average were removed via fishing over the last 5 months or about 2000 perch (maybe has high as 4000 perch).

Contrary to some perceptions or expectations, we have not seen a noticable decrease in perch numbers caught angling. Expectations of 20 to 50 perch an hour at the start of the season is not unrealistic. Anyone taking home more than 15 perch will be required to take with them a bill of lading which I will sign. It allows transport of over limit perch to your residential destination.

Cheers

Sun

Mudslide
10-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I can bring a couple of Bass Pro portable deep fryers. Sounds like a great idea.

hillbillyreefer
10-15-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd sure like to get my two girls into some good perch action, maybe it will sprout the seeds of the future.

Beazer
10-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Romel, just grab a $20-$30 ice fishing combo at a fishing store, try for the frabill panfish popper and get some of them genz worms. Maybe some tiny marmooska's.

I'll have too much tackle and too many rods so you can always borrow from em.
I'm gonna give some cicada reef runners a try.

Also, we should get a count of how many people will be on hand to let the people into the lake, cards and everything on hand. Unless the lake authorities allow a Perch Frenzy.

firegod74
10-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Where is Sundance? Nevermind, I googled it. I would be interested.

Mish
10-15-2009, 11:26 PM
I should still be in Calgary by then. Count me in.

TRUCKER JON
10-16-2009, 07:43 AM
If i'm in town....count me in. I haven't been out since last ice. Very depressing.

Sundancefisher
10-16-2009, 10:20 AM
If i'm in town....count me in. I haven't been out since last ice. Very depressing.

We will have some rules. Any Sundance residents interested in helping organize please PM me.

Some Starting Rules to be aware of to meet lake fishing rules:

Only one rod per person
Trout are all catch and release
Allowed bait maggots, mealworms, frozen minnows, perch eyeballs
No boozing
No glassware
No gas Power augers
No Swearing (especially at organizers)
No littering
Smoking okay (not preferred) but butts need to be taken away
There are public washrooms available
All perch must be retained and taken home. Any guts from cleaned perch need to go home.
If it is cold out...tents are very handy.
If it is cold out I can get access to a warm room for cleaning perch
Skating is available if some kids are coming although my personal rule is no skating around fishermen.

I will make additional rules up as required to give me an advantage in any derby prizes!

tonyflyfish
10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
i'll be there

goose
10-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Hello there sun, I would love to attend this gathering. I have a turkey deep fryer as well which Icould contribute. I have a couple new jigs to try as well.
regards Goose/Ken:wave:

Sundancefisher
10-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Hello there sun, I would love to attend this gathering. I have a turkey deep fryer as well which Icould contribute. I have a couple new jigs to try as well.
regards Goose/Ken:wave:

Long time no see Goose!

Dougie55
10-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Could bring an extra rod and reel or 15 if needed, as long as I got them back...:) Just been itching to try that lake to catch a mess of perchies...

Guba
10-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Great idea... I just joined the forum... Will be glad to join the "perch party" too...

nboylie
10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
sounds like fun!

Duster
10-17-2009, 04:30 AM
I currently live in sundance and fish it tons but there is nothing truly better than ice fishing a some what natural lake and catching a 33 inch wallleye through the ice much better than catching a ton of 4 inch perchies, shack is ready for crawling this winter welcome to alll will be there every weekend from first weekend in december i have a bunch of shacks going out around then everybody welcome for drinks.

Duster
see you this winter

Duster
10-17-2009, 04:32 AM
sorry sundance just speaking from my heart

Sundancefisher
10-17-2009, 09:24 AM

LOL

Couldn't really understand your post anyways... I kinda assumed you were dissing the perch.

Can't see why anyone would turn down 33 inch walleye for 4 inch perch. That being said the average size appeared to increase over this year from 6 inches to over 7 inches. A fair number of perch to 12 inches has been caught later on in the year with some pretty amazing large perch days (maybe a nice little school went by). The average size perch netting out of 32000 caught was 6 inches. We netted very few large hogs...which I attribute to them living out in the middle of the lake and not coming into shore like all the little males did.

That being said when you have nothing better to do or a couple hours to kill nothing beats living in a lake community with a 3 minute commute...heated shack and man made wind breakers lining the lake :lol: Not having to drive in a blizzard to fish is cool.

I would rather catch 80 - 7 inch perch in 2 hours than not drive to a walleye lake or watch fishing on TV. I know I can't drive every day to go fishing...wish I could though.

I also love eating the perch. Last I priced it out...100 filleted perch would be worth over $75 at the store.

If you like fishing I would encourage you to volunteer to help make Sundance the best fishing lake around. We need to encourage perch fishing in our lake to improve trout fishing and also help to create some hogs!

Cheers

Sun

The Fisherman Guy
10-17-2009, 07:43 PM
That Duster is always such a heartfelt guy, get ready to be outfished in your shack this year. Better tighten up your bail while your at it ;)

What say we have an informal perch derby?

Pot luck?? We could all bring our own recipe's for perch and try them out??

DarkAisling
10-17-2009, 09:31 PM

LOL . . . that's only a good idea if people have good perch recipes.

With that in mind, I'll bring the potato salad ;)

uicehole
10-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm in but I'm not sure how easy it is to cast into a 6 inch hole, and how do I keep my fly rod tip from icing up?

jts1
10-19-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm in but I'm not sure how easy it is to cast into a 6 inch hole, and how do I keep my fly rod tip from icing up?

oh my........

Badback
10-19-2009, 07:45 AM

Well Duster, I hope this picture changes your mind about fishing Lake Sundance....I've had many days of catching perch 10 to 12 inches and even a few 13 inchers....

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/Badback60/perchsept.jpg

Badback
10-19-2009, 07:48 AM
That Duster is always such a heartfelt guy, get ready to be outfished in your shack this year. Better tighten up your bail while your at it ;)

What say we have an informal perch derby?

I would like to add that we also have a filleting contest when we have the derby!

goldscud
10-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Uicehole...bring your flies. Scuds and chironomids work great for perch. Then you can still be a "higher class" of fishermen than all these bait chuckers. You can just use the top half of your fly rod and a full sinking line. Everyone will be in awe of your superior skill:wave:

Dougie55
10-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Driving for Walleye...Driving for Perch...hmmmm Hell, I will drive a long way to catch either...:) Cowtown is 3 hours away, but if allowed, I will 'visit' as much as I can to help try and keep the Perchie population down.. I am sure there are a few peeps on here know me, or of me, and my love for Perch...
Lake Isle has almost died now, so I must travel wherever I need to to chase the little fellows down...:)

romel
10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
wow ... looks like a great get together is coming up :) yoohooo :)

w_worbeck
10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
i AM intrested i do not know the Calgary area that well i was wondering what parking is like around Sundance lake?

ThatGuy
10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
You can count me in! Sounds like a great time!

Sundancefisher
10-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Hope you read the info on gear. Any questions you can PM me. The more senitive the rod the better. Any real needs a very smooth functioning drag or else a 10 lb rainbow will break you off in 2 seconds of being hook.

Sundancefisher
10-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I would like to add that we also have a filleting contest when we have the derby!

three guys were out slaying the perch tonight in the middle of the lake... 70 perch in a couple hours...lots of 12 inchers.

Sundancefisher
10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Hey Badback. I just heard you lost your lake card and no longer have access to catch perch:ashamed:...

That is a real shame. Something that valuable should not of been lost :lol::evilgrin::lol:

Jack&7
10-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm in too! And I'm sure my girls will like to come out again as well.

I get back from hunting on Nov. 22nd, so I really hope it is after that. I can bring some tents and another deep fryer if needed.

FisherAlex
10-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey kevin, you should probably cancel this thing. All the perch must be gone. We were there from 11:30 till 4:30 and didn't even get a bite or nibble:huh: We dd however get quite a few trout.

The biggest of the day:
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq297/aloewe/fishing/IMGP0887.jpg

madcarpenter
10-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Sounds Great!!! Count me in!!! I've got a new St. Croix rod waiting to slay some perch!!!

Can we keep the rainbows to?:evilgrin:

-MAD

Sundancefisher
10-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Hey kevin, you should probably cancel this thing. All the perch must be gone. We were there from 11:30 till 4:30 and didn't even get a bite or nibble:huh: We dd however get quite a few trout.

The biggest of the day:
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq297/aloewe/fishing/IMGP0887.jpg

Alex, Alex, Alex.

What happened to all the catch and release training?

Those are the big ones we stocked to eat the little perch.

There are still plenty of perch. I had no trouble catching them up until about 2 weeks ago. Every day I would catch 20-50 off the dock and I never fished in any other areas. I think with the lake turning over and the large trout...the perch are kinda scared :evilgrin:

Time will tell but I doubt we dented the perch population...we could only hope anyways. Fewer perch means larger perch...but we can never get ride of all of them.:cry:

FisherAlex
10-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Maybe, but i needed some excuse for not gettin any, haha.

Junglejake
10-26-2009, 08:36 PM

Old stick, some line, and a hook is all I've ever used :) Count me in with the kids and maybe the wife:)

Where abouts you thinkin of havin it?

Junglejake
10-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Any hotels around there? (I got a 5-6 hour drive)

Fishfinder
10-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Old stick, some line, and a hook is all I've ever used :) Count me in with the kids and maybe the wife:)

Where abouts you thinkin of havin it?

:lol::lol::lol:Lake Sundance would be my guess:lol::lol::lol: I think Calgary has a motel or 2 somewhere as well:lol: Man I wish i was a fisherman when I lived in Calgary. Would love to help u wrangle those perchies Sun. Ah well, hopefully next spring I aint so busy and can come visit ur lake. Cheers. Good luck out there Jungle, if bait is permitted, I'm tellin ya- worms, worms, worms:D

Junglejake
10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Just thinking out loud... If I could organize a perch fishing party...how many people could come?

I could provide the fishing and everyone provides their own fishing gear

I could provide the fire pit and wood for a hotdog roasting luncheon. Maybe have some people bring some potluck game and fish to try. BYO FOOD and drink

Could someone provide a portable deepfryer? If someone brings batter, I have an extension cord and power and I can probably provide the perch :evilgrin:

I can even through in a slab of frozen halibut for the person that catches the most perch.

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Sun

Ok, Ok ... So I got a little excited when I read the first post and panicked. Next time I'll read the whole thread before I speak and hold my excitment in.

fish on
10-27-2009, 08:52 PM
Great to see you doing this again. I really enjoyed myself last year keep us updated. I only have a gas auger so is anyone doesn't mind helping out with a auger on the day in question.

Junglejake
10-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Great to see you doing this again. I really enjoyed myself last year keep us updated. I only have a gas auger so is anyone doesn't mind helping out with a auger on the day in question.

I have one I can bring.

Geezle
10-28-2009, 09:04 AM
I have one I can bring.

X2 I have a hand auger I can bring too.

DarkAisling
10-28-2009, 09:27 AM
i AM intrested i do not know the Calgary area that well i was wondering what parking is like around Sundance lake?

There is ample parking in the lot at the community centre.

Any hotels around there? (I got a 5-6 hour drive)

There is a Holiday Inn Express 10-15min from the lake: Click for a map. (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=12025+Lake+Fraser+Dr+SE,+Calgary,+AB+T2J+7G5 +(Holiday+Inn+Express+Hotel+%26+Suites+Calgary-South)&daddr=63+Suncrest+Way+SE,+Calgary,+AB+T2X+1T9+(Sun dance+Lake+Residents+Assoc+Ltd)&hl=en-GB&geocode=FVZhCQMdBnQz-SEtnEn6jGV_uw%3BCWO7y7dxRj9fFem5CAMd-s4z-SGNjgPOEUHgyA&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=50.923705,-114.051991&sspn=0.076611,0.15398&ie=UTF8&ll=50.924679,-114.058685&spn=0.076609,0.15398&t=h&z=13)

"A" is the Holiday Inn. "B" is the lake (more or less).

Dougie55
10-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I would probably come down in my camperized van. Can a person stay over night at the community centre, or somewhere else close?

Sundancefisher
10-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I would probably come down in my camperized van. Can a person stay over night at the community centre, or somewhere else close?

Nope

Junglejake
11-24-2009, 10:29 PM
There is ample parking in the lot at the community centre.

There is a Holiday Inn Express 10-15min from the lake: Click for a map. (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=12025+Lake+Fraser+Dr+SE,+Calgary,+AB+T2J+7G5 +(Holiday+Inn+Express+Hotel+%26+Suites+Calgary-South)&daddr=63+Suncrest+Way+SE,+Calgary,+AB+T2X+1T9+(Sun dance+Lake+Residents+Assoc+Ltd)&hl=en-GB&geocode=FVZhCQMdBnQz-SEtnEn6jGV_uw%3BCWO7y7dxRj9fFem5CAMd-s4z-SGNjgPOEUHgyA&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=50.923705,-114.051991&sspn=0.076611,0.15398&ie=UTF8&ll=50.924679,-114.058685&spn=0.076609,0.15398&t=h&z=13)

"A" is the Holiday Inn. "B" is the lake (more or less).

Thanks! Im in...

WayneChristie
11-25-2009, 07:14 AM
I'd drive in for that for sure! Im looking forward to bring home that halibut slab ;) and some perch

baitfisher83
11-25-2009, 08:12 AM
if i can get there i'll be there.....

James Henry
11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Sorry, is there a date set? This will be my 2 year olds first ice fishing trip!

goldscud
11-25-2009, 09:54 AM
The lake isn't even frozen over yet. The lake won't let folks out to fish until there is 12-14" ice. We need some cold weather to build some ice before this event can take place. It might take a while.

James Henry
11-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Thank you, were are eagerly awaiting the party

buckfever
11-25-2009, 08:46 PM
depends on the date im in

fisherwoman
11-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Sounds like fun. Will watch for details when hardwater comes. If it ever gets here!

Sundancefisher
11-26-2009, 08:42 AM
At this rate...first week in January is looking like we may have enough ice... Should we seriously be wishing for -20 or colder weather? Would we not get in trouble with everyone NOT wanting to ice fish?:D

WayneChristie
11-26-2009, 06:12 PM
if we can get 2 feet of ice all winter and stay above zero Im all for it :lol:

mayuan
02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Bump!

I thought I would dig up this thread.... :)

What ever happend to the party?

WalleyeDeitz
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I would love to join in as well. If there is a good chacne of catching a few perch then I would love to bring the lil daughter as well.

Let us know a date when one is picked.

Thanks a bunch.

baitfisher83
02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
I'll go if it's actually gonna happen this time..lol

Badback
02-09-2011, 11:59 AM
[Hey Sun…you better contact AK-47 and the Lithuania Perch Assassins so we have enough perch to cook up….Also a rule that should be mentioned is use the washrooms since we get the occasional person that just stands up and urinates on the ice in view of homes, people and kids around them!

Garry B
02-09-2011, 12:08 PM
I'd sure be eager to go. :)

Trey
02-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Nope

walmart parking lots, let you stay overnight or so im told,

and i am so in on this perch thing, ive been waiting for the next one, and im not working till march so ive got the time

ogre
02-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Count me in. I had fun the last time Sun organized this event.

Goater
02-09-2011, 12:46 PM
:party0052::waiting4:Any of you looked at the date of this thread .:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Garry B
02-09-2011, 12:50 PM
:party0052::waiting4:Any of you looked at the date of this thread .:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I saw it but thought it won't hurt to let my feelings be known just in case it helps encourage an perching event. :)

Goater
02-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Someone might want to talk to Sundancefisher first just to let him know before the lake gates get stormed.

buster92
02-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I'm up for that! Say when.

ssyd
02-09-2011, 03:15 PM
This thread is from last year.

Any chance of doing another derby this year, Sundance?

AK47
02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
[[LEFT]Hey Sun…you better contact AK-47 and the Lithuania Perch Assassins so we have enough perch to cook up

I would be in for sure, my brother in law just send me bunch of new strike indicators for palm rods so it would be nice to test them in Calgary instead of driving 280km to Sherburne :sHa_shakeshout:

drifter
02-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Hey Badback
If this happens you know I'll be in for it.

goldscud
02-09-2011, 11:26 PM
We could cut a big hole for your new tube Drifter

ssyd
02-10-2011, 08:58 PM
My post ended up being the last one on the last page so nobody saw it. This thread is from last year.

Any chance that you might make this happen again this year, Sundance?

kinwahkly
02-10-2011, 09:37 PM
That would be awesome, kind of getting tired of driving would be nice to stay near home.

drifter
02-10-2011, 10:28 PM
We could cut a big hole for your new tube Drifter

Sounds like a plan. :sHa_shakeshout:

Trey
02-11-2011, 01:27 PM
ya i noticed that afterwards. i think we need to redo this thread but for 2011