PDA

View Full Version : Goose Decoy Spreads

Gordoats26
10-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Im just curious as to what everyone is using as far as decoys go for Goose hunting? Im looking to add a few more decoys to my spread but im not sure if i should get a few dozen Sillhouetts or maybe a few Full Bodys or maybe just Stick with the shells. right now im using 32 Super Magnum Shells and a couple Dozen Smaller Shells Im just looking for somthing to add realisim to them.

Kale_M
10-15-2009, 03:00 PM
to me those Super magnums are way to big to look real. The regular shells look alot more realistic. If i were you I would get more regular shells. The FA ones are really nice, they have the flocked heads...Full bodies are such a pain in the ***** if you are loading them into your truck, If you have a trailer then they are not to bad...

theduke
10-15-2009, 04:52 PM
im useing 3 dozen fa full bodies, and 3 dozen magnum ghg pro serires shells now those are realistic for shells. add some full bodies you'll notice a difference

snortwheez
10-15-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm running 4 dz. FA LastPass goose shells, but plan on pick up acouple dz. Dakota fullbodies hopefully soon

catnthehat
10-15-2009, 05:41 PM
to me those Super magnums are way to big to look real. The regular shells look alot more realistic. If i were you I would get more regular shells. The FA ones are really nice, they have the flocked heads...Full bodies are such a pain in the ***** if you are loading them into your truck, If you have a trailer then they are not to bad...

geese do not see the particular size of other birds, they just see shapes and such, they do not realize "big or small".
I know quite q few hunters who use the big magnums with great success.
it's not how many or how big, but how they are laid out that is going to make or break a decoy spread, IMO....
Cat

GooseHunter 667
10-15-2009, 05:54 PM
So how should they be laid out? Faced into the wind im assuming in a j or u its funny cause i always watch birds in the fields there not in any particular shape or anything seems very random, never got out to hunt geese this year have a coffin blind,since the ponds are frozee in my regular duck area i well have to try for some.

nimrod
10-15-2009, 06:03 PM
My money is on full bodies, only, if you have shells stick to them alone, but full bodies are best for me, shot 40 ducks this morning with 4 other buddies.
Sorry no photo's

catnthehat
10-15-2009, 06:13 PM
So how should they be laid out? Faced into the wind im assuming in a j or u its funny cause i always watch birds in the fields there not in any particular shape or anything seems very random, never got out to hunt geese this year have a coffin blind,since the ponds are frozee in my regular duck area i well have to try for some.
The idea is to give them some room to land, but positioning your blind so you can take advantage of a sideslip situation if the wind changes, and take care of the sun!

If you are facing it, and the birds are coming in with their backs to it, you will not have the advantage .
Cat

Pixel Shooter
10-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Shells will do just fine, full bodies are nice but they are a pain in the butt if you dont have a trailer as you cant get enough bodies in the box of your truck.

Besides how you set up , meaning configuration, adding motion to your blind adds a ton of realism. Allot of the new shells have motion stakes as well you can compliment your spread with some sillo socks to add motion. I run 7-8 dozen and put my flocked heads (most realistic) where I want the birds to land to add that realism. I dont run as many decoys earlier in the year, but as each hunting week goes, the more you have the better you are off. Flagging helps considerably as well. I have had no problems shooting my limits whatsoever with this set up, but placement is key as well as blind position. When birds land in the middle of the decoys you know you are set up just right :D

ABDUKNUT
10-15-2009, 06:29 PM
If you are hunting on the X- a field that you've scouted, have confirmed the geese are using, and expect them to return the following morning: Your decoys are simply tools to funnel the birds into gun range. No fancy pattern is needed. I like a 'Nike swoosh' shaped blob with the blinds in the 'U' part of the pattern, facing directly downwind. This works day in and day out and is simple. In a flat, featureless field, the only other pattern I would use in this situation is an elongated blob with somewhat defined edges, especially on the downwind edge. Space the decoys out loosely but unevenly, and don't face them all into the wind, or all the same direction.

Put your left handed shooters on the right and the righties on the left, close to the downwind edge of the spread. The most important thing, the only important thing, in this situation is making the blinds invisible.

The best bang for your buck as far as decoys goes is Realgeese silhouettes. Take the extra time to flock the heads and tails black. The more you have, the better- Big spreads kill geese, simple as that. You can hunt by yourself with as few as 2 doz, but I generally run anywhere from 5-6 doz to 10 doz. Fullbodies are great, but are a pain to store and transport. The only time I ever really use mine are very early in the season, and also at the end of the season if it's not snowing.

Geese do see sizes and can tell different sizes, and although they are quite stupid, their lives depend on their instinct to avoid dangerous situations. You might be able to kill a truckload of geese over old super-mag shells, I don't doubt that, but if you want to consistently decoys large flocks into the hole and kill them at 10 yards over and over and over again, you need realism.

ontario gunner
10-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Im running 80% higdon standard size shells and 20% fullbodies.. fullbodies go into the kill-hole. we kill are fair share of birds, scouting is the key! camoing the blinds real good is big,, ive been trying to find spray snow all evening,, i knew i should have stocked up last year!

Gonehuntin'
10-15-2009, 09:41 PM
We've been using 3 dozen Fold Up Decoys, + 2 dozen shells, and sometimes other guys bring in a few better quality dekes. We also put out FUD ducks in their own little group.
Sometimes a wind activated spinner wing duck. Tried L 's J's, crescents, whatever else. I guess it's a live and learn thing. Just sucks seeing them circle and buzz off.

I also have 50 canada goose rags, but rarely use them.The first and last time so far we set them up, the wind died for the duration.Windy as heck for 3 days previous, but that morning it was calm as could be. Anybody else using these to add motion or are they a waste of time?

We have had tons o birds on us when we are set up, but it seems like we are doing something wrong, we try different stuff as far as arrangements of dekes and blind locations. I hunt with a few older more waterfowl savvy guys, but still our luck has been running poorly as far as field shoots go.

Seems like about 1 shoot we set in 5 or so turns out well. That 1 shoot keeps a guy hoping though. When they are landing on top of you, or trying hard to.

Sometimes it works, but I've literally had hundreds take one or two looks and just bail out this season...... Frustrating. Especially with the quality fields we have been hunting-peas, grain. All scouted, all holding birds and put to bed and hunted in the AM.

Blinds wise, we've got older coffins and cone blinds, but possibly need more emphasis on camoing the blinds better. Dunno. There has been a bit of pressure on the birds by now, quite a bit of hunting in my area, both resident and outfitter.

Spray snow? Good idea! Gotta get some of that. It may just help!
It's good to read what's working for you guys and try to incorporate that into our next shoot--tomorrow morning! Thanks for posting here guys-good thread. Very informative.
Just gotta keep trying, though. When it works, damn is it a fine time.
Anyway, just my rant on our 09 season.

ontario gunner
10-15-2009, 10:09 PM
They just stocked the shelves at Canadian tire with it today..... trust me it works! Just let it sit on the truck dash with the heat running while your setting decoys or it will freeze up! If you dont use it with snow on the ground,,, your a big dark blob!

We had birds start flaring off last week after having them pile in on us for an hour.. I walked a hundred yards out,, the ground around our blinds was really dark from where we were getting out and retrieving birds.. im positive thats what was flaring those birds!

If your not using raffia grass tied onto your blinds too assist with your camoing efforts.. you really should give it a try as well.. cuts alot of time out of camoing blinds in the dark.. and you dont have too mail order it or buy it at an outfitter store.. go to the dollar store.. they sell it in bags in the wrapping paper area..6-10 bags of it works wonders and it lasts for years!

snortwheez
10-15-2009, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=,, ive been trying to find spray snow all evening,, i knew i should have stocked up last year![/QUOTE]
I bought 12 cans last year at the dollar store!

Gonehuntin'
10-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Damn, I was just in Can Tire Red Deer south today. Now I know what I'm shopping for.Thanks for the tips.

Faststeel
10-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Damn, I was just in Can Tire Red Deer south today. Now I know what I'm shopping for.Thanks for the tips.

Get yourself one of those goose flags and wave it when geese are approaching, most outfitters I know all use them. FS

catnthehat
10-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Get yourself one of those goose flags and wave it when geese are approaching, most outfitters I know all use them. FS
They do tend to work.....
Cat

Bull Shooter
10-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Some very innovative ideas guys. Thanks for sharing. I learned a few new things from this thread. Spray snow... who would have figured? Regards, Mike