PDA

View Full Version : Trolling surface?

bcboy
10-16-2009, 07:07 AM
When I'm trolling this time of year,I'll use no weight,only Rapala lure,and target the fish at the surface. They are very active now so don't think I need to go deeper.
Here's my question.
I had at least a dozen 'hits' last weekend but none took the hook. yes,hooks are sticky sharp.
Could a lure that is meant to fish under surface not be effective AT the surface?
I'm pretty new to trolling and not too sure what I'm doing.

thanks..

bcboy
10-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the PM Victor. I know it's not worded too well but it was early this morning and I got called out to a real bad accident at 2am. and never really got back to sleep. But thanks for the info and I'll try it out tommorrow. :)

jrcw
10-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Not clear on the details of your tactics or target, but a stinger hook can help with short strikes. Experiment with hooks and line lengths.

bcboy
10-16-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm targeting rainbow trout and trying to troll with a 4" rapala lure. The fish were breaking surface like crazy so I tried to keep lure near/at surface. I have be sent some very useful tips from another fellow and hope to be more successful tommorrow morning.
Thank you for your tips as well. :)

fisherwoman
11-03-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm targeting rainbow trout and trying to troll with a 4" rapala lure. The fish were breaking surface like crazy so I tried to keep lure near/at surface. I have be sent some very useful tips from another fellow and hope to be more successful tommorrow morning.

To be honest I have never tried that method, but I have good luck with rainbows when I troll a small to medium spinner. I put it pretty far out there, and troll as fast as the trolling motor will go. Depending on the shape of the spinner the lure can be fished near the surface or deeper. Thats what works for me, happy fishing!

dodger
11-03-2009, 05:02 AM
When I troll for Trout my largest lure is 2" with a couple of small split shots to get it about 2' under the surface. The 4" Rapala seems a little big to me but I guess it depends on the size of Trout in the body of water that your fishing. My favorite lure is a 1" orange and bronze Mepps.
Dodger.

jjstar
11-03-2009, 07:18 AM
We have been trolling with a wooly bugger with a small split shot to keep it just below the surface right in the shallows and did quite well.

noslack
11-03-2009, 11:37 PM

were you fishing langford lake? some big bass in that lake, and the bows..."aint" to bad!!

DarkAisling
11-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I agree . . . the 4" lure is probably too big. I'd try something smaller.

nicemustang
11-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I usually use a small 5 of diamonds, seems to work well.

fish-man
11-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I'll second the small spinners for surface trolling for trout, as well as the reccomendation to downsize. Unless you are fishing for monster trout, small hooks and small baits are where it's at.

goober
11-04-2009, 04:14 PM
I usually use a small 5 of diamonds, seems to work well.

x2 and add in the old Red Devil. For some reason they never seem to fail!!

Fishfinder
11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
x2 and add in the old Red Devil. For some reason they never seem to fail!!

x3. When in doubt, 5 of D, whip it out!